Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

0 members and 3,228 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Went to Petsmart and Petco today just to look around...

Hey all,

OK as I'm getting into reptiles/snakes, I thought I'd go to the two big box pet stores to see what they had. This is in Hemet, CA. I always had this idea that Petco was better than Petsmart for some reason. However Petsmart turned out better today sorta.
    The only snakes Petsmart had were BP babies and all of them looked good. None of them looked in bad shape in my novice opinion. The anoles looked like they're gonna die tomorrow but I always see anoles like that. I swear it is 'cause they are field collected/wild caught and have a huge parasite load.
    Petco had BPs and cornsnake babies. There were several babies in an enclosure: one Motley Anery and several Motley Amels. The funny thing was that they were labeled Okeetee cornsnakes! One of the BP babies looked awful with skin hanging in pieces all over his body from not shedding right. Also his eyes looked like several retained eyecaps. But what disturbed me even more were the Amel cornsnakes. I noticed all their eyes seemed receded into their sockets. Then I saw a green bug (looks a garden aphid) crawl on one of their faces. Upon closer look, it seems the mites/eggs (or whatever they are) were hiding inside their eye sockets! I am sure they have the dreaded snake mites. I came home though and looked online and nowhere did I find where the mites could be green.
    Of course all this reaffirmed in me that you should really never buy animals in a pet store! It makes me even leary to even buy products there such as enclosure decor or anything!
    I'm so glad my baby Reverse Okeetee (first snake) doesn't have any signs of mites, is eating well, does not appear dehydrated, and in my care has had two beautiful sheds including eye caps.

Z
    Last edited by ZSThomp; 08-17-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks

Re: Went to Petsmart and Petco today just to look around...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I can't step foot into any big box pet stores. The condition of the reptiles are just too heartbreaking. You want to save them, but know that they would just replace them, and then you've brought a sickly animal with who knows what into your home and could be putting your own reptiles at risk. It's sickening. If they had four legs and fur it wouldn't be that way..

This forum is filled with great reptile keepers. With all of the abuse and neglect at pet stores, and horrible stories that I hear while helping vend at the expos, this forum helps keep me sane. Your reverse okeetee sounds fantstic. It's going to have a long and happy life with you, I'm sure.
    Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    0.1 '15 VPI Axanthic BP "Zoe"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    1.0 '16 Spinner Blast BP "Dizzy"
    0.1 '15 Carpet Python "Isabel"
    0.1 '15 Tiger Jag Carpet "Lily"
    0.1 '16 Coastal Carpet "Aria"
    1.0 '15 Axanthic Carpet "Xander"
    Boas:
    0.1 '16 Red Line Hypo BCI "Sophia"
    0.1 '16 Colombian BCI "Sonia"
    0.1 '16 Amazon Tree Boa "Athena"
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    1.0 '16 Normal Corn "Loki"
    0.1 '16 Axanthic Hognose "Mira"
    0.1 '15 African House Snake "Nyah"
    Other:
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Ruth" "Mushu"
    0.3 Leopard Geckos "Ophelia" "Amelia" "Daisy"
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Jinx"
    2.2 Cats "Wesley" "Leo" "Smoke" "Squishy"
    0.0.1 Grammostola rosea "Rose"
    0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eavlynn For This Useful Post:

ZSThomp (08-19-2016)

Thanks
    If you saw something concerning, contact Petco corporate. They at least have to pretend to look into the complaint , so maybe something will improve.