Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

1 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 71 of 106 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I think you know me well enough to know how I feed. Your question appeared condescending and somewhat inflammatory since you posted it publicly. If you wanted to know the answer as to why you could have PM’d me.

I have posted countless times about the royal eating only live and often refusing. The next step is moving the prey to the next snake.

The previous post didn’t allow me to edit and say “If the royal refuses on Tuesday” because time passed.

Not a big deal. Just figured you were aware this isn’t my first rodeo and you’d have figured out my reasoning.

It seemed an off question for the direction of the conversation.

No harm done. You know how I feed, and I enjoy your posts and beautiful animals.

Early morning today and not feeling the best.

All is well and we will continue to share thoughts and ideas.
    I do know you and that is why i asked why you would feed live to the retic. I dont remember you feeding live to the BP, or maybe i just forgot as that snake isnt talked about much.

As for Pming you about the question, i really didnt think it was that big of deal. I was more curious as i know you feed FT and all of a sudden on this post, you popped in with 'maybe i'll feed him a live one' which threw me off. i figured you would do cervical dislocation before feeding.

As for being an 'off question', i asked it from your comment. It wasnt something i just pulled out of the air as like i said, i was really confused why you would feed live. I could understand from someone else but for as long as i've known you, you've had snakes and always fed FT, i was confused.

And while it seems you were a bit offended by my question, i was a bit offended by the response. You could have said something like 'come on man, you have known me for a long time and know i prefer to feed FT but the BP eats live' instead of the whole 'isnt my first rodeo' and 'any other questions' comment.

But anyways no harm done. I just felt like i needed to walk on eggshells or tiptoe around when i asked you questions or you might go bonkers on me.

And back to the subject of Phyllis, thats funny you gotta take her for walks daily....well not really but it would be if if i was one of your local friends and said 'lets hit the bar'.....and your response was 'sure but i need to take my retic for a walk real quick' lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 06-09-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post

And back to the subject of Phyllis, thats funny you gotta take her for walks daily....well not really but it would be if if i was one of your local friends and said 'lets hit the bar'.....and your response was 'sure but i need to take my retic for a walk real quick' lol.
    Gave her 6-7hours of free reign today... already pushing at the doors again. Just gonna go beat my head against a concrete wall until I can figure out the cause of this behavior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Gave her 6-7hours of free reign today... already pushing at the doors again. Just gonna go beat my head against a concrete wall until I can figure out the cause of this behavior

Dang, thought you had it nailed down too with the wearing her out with outside time.

Well i think the only thing left is to try the smaller cage and switch her with Gerald and see what happens. I know every time i shove Caesar in the spare T8 when i clean his cage, he gets bent and takes out his anger on the door by pushing furiously lol. Then when i put him back in his nice clean cage, he is happy again.

best of luck with the smaller cage idea. If that doesnt work, I truly am at a loss. You try asking people on the retic FB pages that we are members of? Maybe someone there has more ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

What is the lowest temperature you can safely get your cages to sit at?

My only thought other than they are both males hating each other, which I’d find very surprising; is you could try to drop temps again and see if they slow up.

It’s really all I can come up with.

It sucks that this is becoming a stress project for you VS a relaxing, enjoyable escape 😡

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-10-2018)

Thanks

What is the lowest temperature you can safely get your cages to sit at?

My only thought other than they are both males hating each other, which I’d find very surprising; is you could try to drop temps again and see if they slow up.

It’s really all I can come up with.

It sucks that this is becoming a stress project for you VS a relaxing, enjoyable escape
    Lowest hers will get is 78*. I’m not even using the RHP currently. Just ambient temp and heat tape. Only way I can get it lower is if I set the ac in the apt to like 68-70, it’s currently set at 74* which keeps the snake room at 76-77 and the cage ambient around 78-79.
    And yeah, it’s been a stress project for at least the last year. I’ve been tearing my hair out and about ready to scream recently

Thanks

Dang, thought you had it nailed down too with the wearing her out with outside time.

Well i think the only thing left is to try the smaller cage and switch her with Gerald and see what happens. I know every time i shove Caesar in the spare T8 when i clean his cage, he gets bent and takes out his anger on the door by pushing furiously lol. Then when i put him back in his nice clean cage, he is happy again.

best of luck with the smaller cage idea. If that doesnt work, I truly am at a loss. You try asking people on the retic FB pages that we are members of? Maybe someone there has more ideas?
    I’m really tempted to try the smaller cage. I actually stuffed her in there for a min the other night and it just made me sad how cramped she looked in there. And she gave a couple quick pushes in the whole 5 minutes I had her in there.
    I’m thinking she either needs a rat every 5-6 days, or a 2-3lb rabbit and see how long she goes. These “colossal” rats are on average about the same size as the jumbos I was getting a year ago. She was 6-7lbs eating those and now she’s like 23lbs. Maybe I’ll give her a hippo next?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (06-10-2018)

Thanks

I’m really tempted to try the smaller cage. I actually stuffed her in there for a min the other night and it just made me sad how cramped she looked in there. And she gave a couple quick pushes in the whole 5 minutes I had her in there.
    I’m thinking she either needs a rat every 5-6 days, or a 2-3lb rabbit and see how long she goes. These “colossal” rats are on average about the same size as the jumbos I was getting a year ago. She was 6-7lbs eating those and now she’s like 23lbs. Maybe I’ll give her a hippo next?

I hear ya. Caesar looks funny in the T8. And also he looks pretty uncomfortable as well. Like i said, the smaller cage is the only thing i can think of thats left. I really dont think it's food related as she pushes so soon. I mean maybe try a substantially larger meal to see if that 'satisfies' her longer? When Caesar was at his height on pushing, i was basically underfeeding him i feel as i kept him on jumbo rats which like Phyllis, he was eating a long time ago. But like i said, i also think it was breeding for him as he hit the height at the usual breeding time for retics and since has pretty much completely quit. He still is out nightly and windshield wipes and destroys stuff but at least he doesnt push. I did up his food size about the same time though so i cant really pinpoint if that or the breeding was the factor that caused him to quit pushing. i Am leaning towards breeding though.

Other than trying to smaller cage, only thing i can think of is give her something more substantial like maybe piglets from Monster Feeders. Or guinea pigs. I dont think its the amount of food she is getting that is doing it, maybe just she never really feels 'full' if that makes sense. So instead of smaller meals more often, maybe switch it up and try a nice big meal less often. Grasping at straws with it. And like i said before, i know Caesar and Rosey will both push if their humidity gets too high. Usually only happens when i put in fresh cypress and it spikes to 100% for a few days and i get condensation on the doors. Both of them really seem to hate that so I leave their doors opens and they get quiet and curl up and sleep. Vicky and the little boas love higher humidity but for some weird reason, Caesar and Rosey seem to like it on the lower end.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 06-10-2018 at 07:56 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

I hear ya. Caesar looks funny in the T8. And also he looks pretty uncomfortable as well. Like i said, the smaller cage is the only thing i can think of thats left. I really dont think it's food related as she pushes so soon. I mean maybe try a substantially larger meal to see if that 'satisfies' her longer? When Caesar was at his height on pushing, i was basically underfeeding him i feel as i kept him on jumbo rats which like Phyllis, he was eating a long time ago. But like i said, i also think it was breeding for him as he hit the height at the usual breeding time for retics and since has pretty much completely quit. He still is out nightly and windshield wipes and destroys stuff but at least he doesnt push. I did up his food size about the same time though so i cant really pinpoint if that or the breeding was the factor that caused him to quit pushing. i Am leaning towards breeding though.

Other than trying to smaller cage, only thing i can think of is give her something more substantial like maybe piglets from Monster Feeders. Or guinea pigs. I dont think its the amount of food she is getting that is doing it, maybe just she never really feels 'full' if that makes sense. So instead of smaller meals more often, maybe switch it up and try a nice big meal less often. Grasping at straws with it. And like i said before, i know Caesar and Rosey will both push if their humidity gets too high. Usually only happens when i put in fresh cypress and it spikes to 100% for a few days and i get condensation on the doors. Both of them really seem to hate that so I leave their doors opens and they get quiet and curl up and sleep. Vicky and the little boas love higher humidity but for some weird reason, Caesar and Rosey seem to like it on the lower end.
    I agree with all of this.

The ONLY other option I can think of, and it's a bit of a pain for you to deal with is getting the really big 8 foot cage.

Now I kind of frown on that because the 3 of us all went for the "smaller" genetics, and your girl isn't really that big, however the constant movement is distressing.

Are you handy? I'm not, but if I was, I'd be tempted to build the mother of all cages. I know you are a mobile dude and need to up and go when jobs change, but once you are settled for good, build her the JW Marriott!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-10-2018),Sauzo (06-10-2018)

Thanks

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

I agree with all of this.

The ONLY other option I can think of, and it's a bit of a pain for you to deal with is getting the really big 8 foot cage.

Now I kind of frown on that because the 3 of us all went for the "smaller" genetics, and your girl isn't really that big, however the constant movement is distressing.

Are you handy? I'm not, but if I was, I'd be tempted to build the mother of all cages. I know you are a mobile dude and need to up and go when jobs change, but once you are settled for good, build her the JW Marriott!
    Once I’m settled for good I’ll give her half a room if necessary hah! But yeah, I’m pretty darn handy and have a full wood shop accessible on campus that I could build something magnificent in. Just the issue of moving a heavy giant cage at the moment with having to move somewhat frequently depending on job opportunities. When I do get to settle I plan to make the sweetest snake room ever with cages built into the walls with walk-in closets that give access to the back of the cages.
    At Syracuse University we had a CNC router in the sculpture studio. Few years before I got Phyllis but I could have made the coolest damn cage with that thing. I think it would cut an 4x8-10’ piece of material

Last edited by jmcrook; 06-11-2018 at 12:57 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-11-2018),Stearns84 (06-11-2018)

Thanks

Any update on Miss Pushyface

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Page 71 of 106 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast