Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

3 members and 3,362 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 69 of 106 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Thanks brother! Right after this she went right back to pushing at the doors though...
    I showed the pics last night to my bf because the cage looks great with her up on the perch and I was explaining why and his comment was 'that's not going to stop the pushing' and then I saw your comment quoted above and was sad. His advice, which I assume based on the photos you've shared, I think you already do, was to 'take her out more'. I asked about the air gap thing and he also doesn't think that will really matter. I'm sorry I don't have any better ideas. I wanted to share his thoughts since he's much more familiar with tics than I am.
    For the Horde!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

Totally bummed she is pushing again.
    She never actually stopped. I’ve just gotten lucky and made it to 5-6days before she goes bonkers recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I showed the pics last night to my bf because the cage looks great with her up on the perch and I was explaining why and his comment was 'that's not going to stop the pushing' and then I saw your comment quoted above and was sad. His advice, which I assume based on the photos you've shared, I think you already do, was to 'take her out more'. I asked about the air gap thing and he also doesn't think that will really matter. I'm sorry I don't have any better ideas. I wanted to share his thoughts since he's much more familiar with tics than I am.
    Thanks April. She did immediately crawl in her hide and go to sleep after I had her out for an hour or so last night. Let her cruise the whole apartment. I guess she just needs to have at least an hour of free time a day to (hopefully) get her to chill out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I think Ed is moving, that is why he closed up cage shop for right now. Or at least that is what i heard.

He also was selling off a bunch of his used cages to cut down on stuff to move...or again, so i heard.

And looks good with the perches. Phyllis doesnt use her shelf? I know Caesar loves his shelf and spends a good amount of time curled up on it.
    She doesn’t use the shelf too often but it’s still in there. She barely fits on he shelf anymore

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

She doesn’t use the shelf too often but it’s still in there. She barely fits on he shelf anymore

That’s one big SD. Female I know but even still the girth is like a boa.

You may need to build a nice indoor climbing tree for her. Let her out and go crazy for a few hours. Handle her a lot and wear her down.

Even still the perches look great in there. Much better than just a shelf.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    You know man, with all the pushing she does, it almost seems like there is something wrong with the set up like incorrect temps or humidity etc. I know you got it all set up right but you know how when a snake isnt happy, they try and get out. Dottie did it when i used cypress on her. The boas love it but Dottie hates cypress. She was out pushing all over the front of the cage. The day i switched her back to a coco husk(in this case Reptile Prime), she was quiet and went back to sleep in her hide. Caesar and Rosey are the same way with humidity. When i put fresh cypress in and it spikes really high with condensation on the glass, both Rosey and Caesar will push like crazy. Once i open a door and let them sit there with their heads on the litter dams, they quiet right down and after about an hour, they usually curl up by the open door and go to sleep or go into a hide and sleep. So i'm wondering if maybe something like a build up of heat or humidity might be causing her to go crazy and once you open the door and let her out, she cools down or dries out a little and is happy again. Just grasping at straws as like i said, Caesar and Rosey both do that.

For example, this morning when i got up, Caesar was pushing like crazy and the cage had condensation all over the glass. I opened the door and after caesar sat on the litter dam for awhile, he ended up going to sleep like this.....

And Rosey did the same thing....
    Last edited by Sauzo; 06-08-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-08-2018)

Thanks

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    You know man, with all the pushing she does, it almost seems like there is something wrong with the set up like incorrect temps or humidity etc. I know you got it all set up right but you know how when a snake isnt happy, they try and get out. Dottie did it when i used cypress on her. The boas love it but Dottie hates cypress. She was out pushing all over the front of the cage. The day i switched her back to a coco husk(in this case Reptile Prime), she was quiet and went back to sleep in her hide. Caesar and Rosey are the same way with humidity. When i put fresh cypress in and it spikes really high with condensation on the glass, both Rosey and Caesar will push like crazy. Once i open a door and let them sit there with their heads on the litter dams, they quiet right down and after about an hour, they usually curl up by the open door and go to sleep or go into a hide and sleep. So i'm wondering if maybe something like a build up of heat or humidity might be causing her to go crazy and once you open the door and let her out, she cools down or dries out a little and is happy again. Just grasping at straws as like i said, Caesar and Rosey both do that.

For example, this morning when i got up, Caesar was pushing like crazy and the cage had condensation all over the glass. I opened the door and after caesar sat on the litter dam for awhile, he ended up going to sleep like this.....

And Rosey did the same thing....
    Yeah I’ve got no idea at this point. The ambient temp is a tad warmer but it still only tops out at 79-80* air temps with the apt set at 73-75. I’d like it to get down to 75 but I’d have to crank the AC in the apt down to like 68-70*... not doing that because Mississippi gets stupid hot and I’d end up with a $300 utility bill or something crazy. Plus when it’s 100* outside 70* inside feels absolutely freezing
    I let her out for an hour again earlier and she’s been sleeping in her cool hide since I put her away. Maybe a twice daily free run of the apt will keep her happy, who knows. Or maybe scale back to large or xl rats and feed every 5 days... I’m out of ideas

Last edited by jmcrook; 06-08-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Crochet a little stocking with a face mask with just eye holes and a little hole for her tongue to shoot out of and put it on her lol. Kind of like when you were a kid and your parents taped socks to your hands to keep you from scratching when you had chicken pox.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-08-2018),Stearns84 (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Yeah I’ve got no idea at this point. The ambient temp is a tad warmer but it still only tops out at 79-80* air temps with the apt set at 73-75. I’d like it to get down to 75 but I’d have to crank the AC in the apt down to like 68-70*... not doing that because Mississippi gets stupid hot and I’d end up with a $300 utility bill or something crazy. Plus when it’s 100* outside 70* inside feels absolutely freezing
    I let her out for an hour again earlier and she’s been sleeping in her cool hide since I put her away. Maybe a twice daily free run of the apt will keep her happy, who knows. Or maybe scale back to large or xl rats and feed every 5 days... I’m out of ideas

I guarantee its not all about food. "Experienced keepers" may have their ideas, but NO snake in the wild, no matter what the species is lucky enough to eat weekly or biweekly. It just doesn't happen.

You have a SD or at the very least a dwarf retic. The biology behind that animal comes with seasonal food intake based on the migratory habits of the animals around it.

Sure you can feed a snake into inactivity, but I 100% disagree with that approach, and so will people that actually study these animals.

You are doing the right thing by exploring other avenues! Retics are not some special species that are so different from every other snake species that you have to go back to the drawing board to figure out care requirements for them.

Maybe recheck the sex of your snake and make double certain you don't have a male vs male combat situation going on.

I can honestly say, I don't have any issues with my retic over any other snake in the house. Carpet, Royal or Boa Constrictor. They all have very similar care requirements.

You WILL succeed, I know you will.

She is big and beautiful, but still a cold blooded reptile with millions of years of programed instincts that don't fully change in captivity,

I honestly hate to see her suffer with pushing while you try to figure things out.

Sending positive vibes your way brother!
    Last edited by Gio; 06-08-2018 at 11:44 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-08-2018)

Thanks

Thank you Gio! If she keeps it up I’m putting her in a T8 for a week or two and monitoring the results. I’ll just trade her and Gerald’s cages for a bit. That’s my last idea before investing in a huge cage to see if the opposite approach works.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-09-2018)

Page 69 of 106 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast