Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

2 members and 3,106 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 57 of 106 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I don’t have a ladder otherwise I’d let her try it out. She will climb to the top of the cage stacks when she’s out cruising the room though and they’re between 5.5-6’ tall total. Even if I give her run of the snake room for a couple hours she’s back to pushing as soon as she’s in the cage again...
    I agree, shelf isn’t the same as perches. I may go pick up some fence posts and brackets and set a couple up and ditch her shelf. And she’s in a T25 72”x30”x18”tall. Two feet tall would be nice but just wasn’t in the cards when I ordered the cage (that took six months to arrive).
    I can’t say 100% that she’s indeed a she but I’d be VERY surprised to find out otherwise. If she is a male then she’s borderline mainland male size. I’ve heard that sometimes females will push during breeding season as well but not as much as males.
    For the time being I’m gonna keep her stuffed with rats and see how she does. I wonder if the seasonal changes are telling her to go into feast mode during summer in preparation for famine season in the winter. She got really bad like this last year about the same time too and stuffing her like a thanksgiving turkey helped out some. Problem is this time to stuff her the same way would take a 3-4lb rabbit and I can’t find rabbits around me for reasonable prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good guess on the seasonal changes. It happens to all of mine here every year, especially when things really heat up the activity level goes up and the feeding intervals become more frequent.

I do remember your wait for the cage too LOL, it was a long one! I was VERY close to buying the exact cage but felt I needed a 2 foot tall cage at the least. I wish I had a 3 footer, but we all have limits we have to set.

I'm sure I'll run into some pushing with Wallace at some point. It's the nature of the hobby and I went for the retic, because of the activity level.

I know a lot of these are only 50% SD and some are Jamps and so on but I'm not so sure your girl is way too large for her age or mixed. I wonder if she's a first generation gal?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxMtNIOWqE

Check out the 50% SD male tiger here.

It also looks like your girl fits the ranges here.
    http://www.vitalexotics.com/reticula...on-care-sheet/
    Maybe she's just on the larger end is all.

Try a rabbit and wait a while. Then try a rat, and double back in a short time with a quail. Let her ride for a bit after that. See if some larger infrequent meals followed by some smaller frequent meals, and bit of a famine period changes anything.

Size wise I don't think you will have a problem with her. I think she'll hit a slowdown soon.
    I'm more concerned about her pushing. Retics seem quite aware of where the cage doors are and they may push for different reasons. My carpet was pushing, but not for food, she'd just do it, then she'd change her habit and decided climbing was more fun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Good guess on the seasonal changes. It happens to all of mine here every year, especially when things really heat up the activity level goes up and the feeding intervals become more frequent.

I do remember your wait for the cage too LOL, it was a long one! I was VERY close to buying the exact cage but felt I needed a 2 foot tall cage at the least. I wish I had a 3 footer, but we all have limits we have to set.

I'm sure I'll run into some pushing with Wallace at some point. It's the nature of the hobby and I went for the retic, because of the activity level.

I know a lot of these are only 50% SD and some are Jamps and so on but I'm not so sure your girl is way too large for her age or mixed. I wonder if she's a first generation gal?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxMtNIOWqE

Check out the 50% SD male tiger here.

It also looks like your girl fits the ranges here.
    http://www.vitalexotics.com/reticula...on-care-sheet/
    Maybe she's just on the larger end is all.

Try a rabbit and wait a while. Then try a rat, and double back in a short time with a quail. Let her ride for a bit after that. See if some larger infrequent meals followed by some smaller frequent meals, and bit of a famine period changes anything.

Size wise I don't think you will have a problem with her. I think she'll hit a slowdown soon.
    I'm more concerned about her pushing. Retics seem quite aware of where the cage doors are and they may push for different reasons. My carpet was pushing, but not for food, she'd just do it, then she'd change her habit and decided climbing was more fun.
    I’d love to offer her a more varied diet but only have access to way overpriced rats locally. Pretty much have to order online or pay $9/jumbo at the shop in town.
    And yes, she is first generation captive bred. Parents were wild caught imports from kalatoa I was told, though dad was exceptionally dark for kalatoa.
    As for her size she’s luckily not bad to work with at all. Except when she doesn’t want to go back in her cage. When the 10’ 20lb snake says “I’m going this way” there’s not much you can do about it haha.
    She’s at day two after feeding the other night and hasn’t moved from her warm hide. I’ll leave her be and see how long before she pees and goes back to the races

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-07-2018)

Thanks

I’d love to offer her a more varied diet but only have access to way overpriced rats locally. Pretty much have to order online or pay $9/jumbo at the shop in town.
    And yes, she is first generation captive bred. Parents were wild caught imports from kalatoa I was told, though dad was exceptionally dark for kalatoa.
    As for her size she’s luckily not bad to work with at all. Except when she doesn’t want to go back in her cage. When the 10’ 20lb snake says “I’m going this way” there’s not much you can do about it haha.
    She’s at day two after feeding the other night and hasn’t moved from her warm hide. I’ll leave her be and see how long before she pees and goes back to the races

I haven't checked in a while, but Matthew Martin (Monster Crew) (Monster Feeders) has everything if I recall. Pigs, rats, rabbits, however I'm not sure on quail.

I think his prices are decent as well.

Just a thought.

I'm likely keeping the group here on a mix of rats, quail and rabbit.
    The boa and carpet will take rabbit, though I keep my guys fairly lean. A healthy lean that is

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-07-2018)

Thanks
    I love all the pictures!!!
    ~Annie
    ~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieHeart For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-07-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Hahah I know mainland males can get much bigger, but at 2yrs she’s probably about as big as a 2yr old mainland male give or take.
    Oh! lol okay gotcha!

I haven’t contacted anyone about rabbits but can’t find many breeders near me, which I find odd. But I am in the middle of nowhere Mississippi.
    I understand it's not a rush or anything but just some info you might find useful in the future. I cannot vouch for how up to date these listings are. I mentioned the pet rabbit breeders because a while back I was approached by a fancy breeder offering to sell me culls of either retired breeders or baby/youngs that weren't show/seller quality. I guess it would depend on the breeder if they would be offended or not by the inquiry. The lady I spoke with already froze the culls so it was no big deal to her to sell them as feeders.

This website lists rabbit meat breeders by state, if you go that route make sure they know you want whole animals and not cleaned:
    http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/rrrbrdusa.htm
    this website is for pet/fancy breeders
    http://rabbitbreeders.us/mississippi-rabbit-breeders
    For the Horde!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-07-2018)

Thanks

Welp, two days after her last feeding (two feedings in the last six days) and she’s pushing her face off again... I’m running out of hair to tear out of my head. Might move Gerald’s cage to another room tonight or tomorrow and see if that changes anything. Pretty much the only thing I haven’t tried

Thanks

Welp, two days after her last feeding (two feedings in the last six days) and she’s pushing her face off again... I’m running out of hair to tear out of my head. Might move Gerald’s cage to another room tonight or tomorrow and see if that changes anything. Pretty much the only thing I haven’t tried

Hey bud,

Thinking no way is it food related pushing. I’m also wondering about a really small enclosure for a bit. Almost tub sized.

Just a thought.

Thanks

read my mind dude. I was just thinking to switch her and Gerald, put him in the T25 and her back in her old T8. I might just do that

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-07-2018)

Thanks

read my mind dude. I was just thinking to switch her and Gerald, put him in the T25 and her back in her old T8. I might just do that
    Cool give it a try.
    And maybe smaller yet if that doesn’t work.

We will solve this!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

I think it has to do with Gerald. Even as foody as Caesar was as a baby and even now. He doesnt actually push until a day or 2 before food day and like i said, he has slowed down on pushing a LOT since it seems breeding season is over.

I'm just glad Caesar didnt turn into a demon during breeding season and get mean like i have read quite a few males can and will do.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-08-2018)

Page 57 of 106 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast