Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

0 members and 3,335 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 102 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1058
    Thanks

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

How's she doing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns84 View Post
    How's she doing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Still refusing food, still pushing. FML

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Have you tried offering live quail?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Dang. Sorry to hear that. I can't even begin to imagine how frustrated you must be. You have done all that can be done. And then some.
    Whatever this may be, it is certainly not due to something you did or didn't do.
    Last edited by zina10; 10-25-2018 at 10:35 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Dang man. That really sucks
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

I hate everything right now. I’ve spent over $2k on this animal between vet costs and new cage since July and literally nothing has changed behaviorally. I can’t keep on doing this. It’s hard enough to give away a grown retic around here let alone sell or trade one. I hate everything so much right now that words can’t express it. Someone please come to my apt and exterminate both me and this godforesaken snake at once

Last edited by jmcrook; 10-25-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I hate everything right now. I’ve spent over $2k on this animal between vet costs and new cage since July and literally nothing has changed behaviorally. I can’t keep on doing this. It’s hard enough to give away a grown retic around here let alone sell or trade one. I hate everything so much right now that words can’t express it. Someone please come to my apt and exterminate both me and this godforesaken snake at once

I’m so sorry to hear this. I really thought the fabulous new cage would change her behavior. There isn’t anything you haven’t tried.

I understand the frustration of rehoming a large snake. I had a 12’ albino burm that I’d had for 16 years. I had been trying to rehome her for about a year. I was only l only considering very experienced keepers because she did not have the typical laid back burm personality. She was an extremely agressive feeder (lunge out of the cage) and was often difficult to handle...hissy, irritable, and prone to striking out when she didn’t want to be bothered. When my other half passed away in April of this year, I reached out again to every rescue group and local zoo up to a 2-3 hour drive from home. In the end I had to make the choice to put her down. I couldn’t safely take her out or feed her alone, and the few friends I have that are okay with most of my collection wouldn’t get near her because if her size and temperament. Ultimately it came down to I couldn’t let her really hurt someone or worse. It is still one of the hardest decisions I have ever made.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-26-2018),jmcrook (10-26-2018),zina10 (10-26-2018)

Thanks

I hope you don't plan on putting her down. If it comes to that will have to figure out a way to meet me halfway driving and I'll pick her up.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    While I hope it doesn't come down to the animal being put down, one can't fault an owner for doing the responsible thing. JMcrook did all he could to figure out this animals problems. Right now there seems to be something going on that is destroying this poor snakes quality of life (not to mention her owners).

Its all good and well to keep trying to figure things out, but there comes a point where you have done all you can think of and are able to do. If things do not work, what do you do ?

Sure, you could re-home.

But..there are certain animals that are very difficult to re-home to a good home. Animals that people will line up to get, esp. free. Animals that people feel they can do better by then the former owner. But as the owner, you have to be very concerned. Because that animal could very well end up in a worse place. Yes, there is worse that could happen then being put down humanely.
    Some new owners do not know when to give up and the suffering continues far beyond the point it should. Some people give up eventually, but let that animal linger on and get into a horrible shape. Some people just pass it on again and eventually things don't end well.

Its difficult for an owner. A Retic is not a corn snake or Ball Python. Esp. one with a big issue such as that, that couldn't be fixed despite many things tried, is even harder to find a good home for. What could another owner do different at this point ? How much more is another owner willing (and able) to spend and do to figure things out? Will the new owner know when to call it quits in the best interest of the animal?

I don't know what JMCrook will or wants to do. Maybe the thought of putting her down never ever crossed his mind and never will. Point is, right now he needs some sympathy and understanding.

He knows his girl and ultimately whatever he ends up doing is his decision and should be respected. If he re-homes her, he will probably look for a home that could house her radically different, perhaps in a small room type of setup like a zoo could provide. Which still wouldn't address that perhaps there is some kind of hidden health issue that keeps her from eating and is making her rub and be miserable.

Perhaps re-home her with an understanding that the new owner will not pass her on. One that will try to fix the issue but know when to quit if things don't work?

Either way, Its up to JMCrook, and I'm sorry he has to make that decision, but it is his to make.
    Last edited by zina10; 10-26-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-26-2018),Gio (10-26-2018),jmcrook (10-26-2018),tttaylorrr (10-26-2018)

Thanks

Trust me I sympathize with him zina10. Mad respect for him and all he has and is doing. I am sure he feels like a parent with a new born baby that cries and cries but can't talk to say what is wrong. All to often we wish our animals could talk and communication was easier when things go wrong. I am sure she is doing her best to let him know but her way of communicating is so vague that he has no way of knowing what is going on.

I know is up to him when enough is enough. I hope he finds a solution soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    While I hope it doesn't come down to the animal being put down, one can't fault an owner for doing the responsible thing. JMcrook did all he could to figure out this animals problems. Right now there seems to be something going on that is destroying this poor snakes quality of life (not to mention her owners).

Its all good and well to keep trying to figure things out, but there comes a point where you have done all you can think of and are able to do. If things do not work, what do you do ?

Sure, you could re-home.

But..there are certain animals that are very difficult to re-home to a good home. Animals that people will line up to get, esp. free. Animals that people feel they can do better by then the former owner. But as the owner, you have to be very concerned. Because that animal could very well end up in a worse place. Yes, there is worse that could happen then being put down humanely.
    Some new owners do not know when to give up and the suffering continues far beyond the point it should. Some people give up eventually, but let that animal linger on and get into a horrible shape. Some people just pass it on again and eventually things don't end well.

Its difficult for an owner. A Retic is not a corn snake or Ball Python. Esp. one with a big issue such as that, that couldn't be fixed despite many things tried, is even harder to find a good home for. What could another owner do different at this point ? How much more is another owner willing (and able) to spend and do to figure things out? Will the new owner know when to call it quits in the best interest of the animal?

I don't know what JMCrook will or wants to do. Maybe the thought of putting her down never ever crossed his mind and never will. Point is, right now he needs some sympathy and understanding.

He knows his girl and ultimately whatever he ends up doing is his decision and should be respected. If he re-homes her, he will probably look for a home that could house her radically different, perhaps in a small room type of setup like a zoo could provide. Which still wouldn't address that perhaps there is some kind of hidden health issue that keeps her from eating and is making her rub and be miserable.

Perhaps re-home her with an understanding that the new owner will not pass her on. One that will try to fix the issue but know when to quit if things don't work?

Either way, Its up to JMCrook, and I'm sorry he has to make that decision, but it is his to make.
    Have you thought about something like this being nearby?

Ultrasonic Electronic Driving Device for Expelling Pest Mouse Mice Snake Insects Waterproof Repellent Expelling Device for Hotel Garden Farm In the Open Air Outdoor Solar Energy Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HRBV5N..._lNZ0Bb5M68MX8

Might be worth asking your neighbors. I know snakes don't have ears but they do feel vibrations.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

zina10 (10-26-2018)

Page 102 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106 LastLast