Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,282

2 members and 2,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Question Thinking of expanding into lizards.

Hey everyone. I have three different species of snakes that I keep, but only one species of lizard. I want to get another type of lizard, but I'm not sure what.
    I only have crested geckos at the moment.

We dont have a great deal of space right now (House is having a massive cleanout, and we are in the process of moving some of the snakes out of QT and into permanent vivs.) I do have a spare 45x45x60cm (18x18x24inch) exo terra that can have something in.

So, any lizard suggestions? Preferably something that is relevantly easy to look after, not take up too much space, but also somewhat unique so its not really the usual run of the mill beardie or leo. (Although I am partial to a trio of female leos. Not going to be breeding though)
    Snakes:
    ~Ball Pythons: 1.0 Spider (Corkii) --- 1.0 Mojave (Meeko) --- 1.0 Bumblebelly (Pringle) --- 0.1 Normal (Fraggles) --- 0.1 Lesser Enchi (Khaleesi) --- 1.0 Pied (Piper)
    ~Cornsnakes: 0.1 Tessera.het Amel Motley (Twiglet) --- 1.0 Amel (Wotsit)
    ~Hognose: 0.0.1 Normal.66%hetAlbino (Waffle)
    ~Boa: 0.1 Normal (Medusa)
    ~Spotted Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Bredlis Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Burmese Python: 0.1 Granite (Skittles)
    Lizards:
    ~Crested Geckos: 1.0 Buckskin Dalmatian (Rex) --- 0.1 Orange Dalmatian (Apollo) --- 1.1 Harlequin (Cosmos / Nova) --- 1.0 Extreme Harlequin (Dino) --- 1.1 Halloween Partial Pin (Pumpkin/Unnamed) --- 1.0 Red and Cream partial pin (unnamed)
    ~Leopard Gecko: 1.0 Hypo (Dave)
    ~Bearded Dragon: 0.1 Red Leatherback.hetTrans
    ~Ackie Monitor: 0.0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Jewled Lecarta 1.0 (Wizard)
    Others:
    Tortoise, Dog, Tarantulas, Parrot

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Thinking of expanding into lizards.

I may not have kept lizards but I figured some form of slow worm aka the legless lizard (anguis fragilis) would be cool to keep. That said though due to work have seen them and scared them off. Disappointing but at least seen them in the wild - so far am only one species short of having seen every species of reptile in my country, Grass snakes (Natrix Natrix) are the only ones left.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The spare cage which is small and arboreal would be perfect for a Gargoyle, same care than Crested, less jumpy, more attitude, very cute too.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vipera Berus View Post
    I may not have kept lizards but I figured some form of slow worm aka the legless lizard (anguis fragilis) would be cool to keep. That said though due to work have seen them and scared them off. Disappointing but at least seen them in the wild - so far am only one species short of having seen every species of reptile in my country, Grass snakes (Natrix Natrix) are the only ones left.
    I'm guessing you are from Britian XD I am also. I've seen a grass snake before, at my grandparents house. It was cool, but I wasnt allowed to touch it because I was like 11 or something. I used to catch slowworms in their garden also! They put grass cuttings under bits of carpet and placed them in a sunny area by the compost heap. It attracted loads of them! I remember going over there, and picking up this reallly reallllly long one, only for it to poop over my new top. Didn't bother me much, but my nan was annoyed

I think I saw some legless lizards at the exotics petshop before. Cant remember their scientific name, but they were bigger than the ones you get in the wild.
    If I remember rightly, I think they were kinda expensive. I think thats one for the future :3
    Snakes:
    ~Ball Pythons: 1.0 Spider (Corkii) --- 1.0 Mojave (Meeko) --- 1.0 Bumblebelly (Pringle) --- 0.1 Normal (Fraggles) --- 0.1 Lesser Enchi (Khaleesi) --- 1.0 Pied (Piper)
    Lizards:
    ~Crested Geckos: 1.0 Buckskin Dalmatian (Rex) --- 0.1 Orange Dalmatian (Apollo) --- 1.1 Harlequin (Cosmos / Nova) --- 1.0 Extreme Harlequin (Dino) --- 1.1 Halloween Partial Pin (Pumpkin/Unnamed) --- 1.0 Red and Cream partial pin (unnamed)
    Others:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The spare cage which is small and arboreal would be perfect for a Gargoyle, same care than Crested, less jumpy, more attitude, very cute too.
    I like the look of the red stripe gargoyle! They all look so cute!!
    I'm a sucker for the Caledonian geckos. Gargoyles and Leachies are defiantly on the list of 'I will get someday'!
    Snakes:
    Lizards:
    Others:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LightningPython View Post
    I'm guessing you are from Britian XD I am also. I've seen a grass snake before, at my grandparents house. It was cool, but I wasnt allowed to touch it because I was like 11 or something. I used to catch slowworms in their garden also! They put grass cuttings under bits of carpet and placed them in a sunny area by the compost heap. It attracted loads of them! I remember going over there, and picking up this reallly reallllly long one, only for it to poop over my new top. Didn't bother me much, but my nan was annoyed

I think I saw some legless lizards at the exotics petshop before. Cant remember their scientific name, but they were bigger than the ones you get in the wild.
    If I remember rightly, I think they were kinda expensive. I think thats one for the future :3
    Yep British and I also have seen the slow worms at the pet shop - They seem to be mostly the Russian subspecies so yes their larger.

That said though I was disappointed to not see a common Adder in Norway (Viera Berus) since they are apparently more likely to be brick red or silver as compared to the green with black, blue or silver stripes we get in the uk.