Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,616

1 members and 1,615 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
    Thanks

When to bump up feeding

I have a female enchi that is a voracious feeder. Right now she is on small rats that are averaging 60 grams and barely waver from that. As soon as she finds out its feeding time she comes out of her hide and is staring out the front of her tub just waiting. Sometimes she tries coming through the tub to get the rat. If she's not aware of feeding time until the rat is in the tub she will pretty much lunge out of her hid and smash the rat hard. But after feeding she acts like she wants more as soon as she gets the first one down. Then after not seeing any more food she goes to her hide and waits with her head out watching for more food.

She is about 10 months old and just weighed on full with about 3 of those tats in her system since the last feeding is 990 grams so probably 920-950 since she seems to be retaining between 1/2 - 2/3 of what she eats. And is running about 36" now. I plan to breed her to my coral glow, but not until next winter. At the rate she's going she'll be near weight this winter, but far too young.

With her awesome feeding response and hunger, I'm wondering when or even if I should bump up the size of prey I feed her. I dot want to over feed and make her not want her next meal, but it seems wierd she's always wanting more immediately after her
    meal.

Thanks
    Kyle

And here's a couple of pictures of my little girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    Don't be surprised if that great appetite decreases or she decides to fast a little soon. They usually slow down at about the 1000g Mark right when you think you know about when they'll be up to breeding size.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (08-10-2016)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    How often are you feeding.
    1 or 2 smalls a week is all you need.

Thanks

Re: When to bump up feeding

I feed the three of them every 5-10 days. Since I feed them all at once, sometimes I have to wait for a shed to finish and feed late. Or if I see a shed coming or have a trip I'll feed early. But I aim for every 7 days or so

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Most of my girls start taking mediums around this size. Like others have said, do not be surprised if she goes off food soon especially if you bump up the prey size. I don't mind when my healthy girls go off food. Easier on the pocket.

Thanks

For the time being I think stick with smalls. Te pastel just went back on feeding after a few months off. The enchi could go off feeding for a while and it probably would be good for her, she is getting a little round. I think I'll swap over to mediums when the stash of smalls dwindles down a bit. I think I still have about 70 for the two of them. The male won't eat a rat, but not a big deal since I got him a bunch of mice at about 50 grams that he devours

Thanks

I can't believe the appetite of this girl. She was just fed Friday, and the Monday before that. So two 60 gram rats within 5 days. And went to get her out this evening and she was already pacing the tub looking for another meal. And even tracked my hand as I was getting her out. I hope it will keep up for a while longer. At this pace with her she'll be up to breeding weight on no time, ten it'll just be smooth coasting until she's old enough next fall. Right now she's my short, round little girl. Right about 36", maybe a bit shorter, and 1000 gram.

Kyle