Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,299

1 members and 1,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help Building A Rack

I'm Moving To A New House & Just Recently Got 2 More Ball Pythons In Addition To The One I Had. I'm Thinking About Building A Rack To Keep Them In, I Just Don't Know Where To Start? Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Thanks

Re: Help Building A Rack

First I would decide on the size tubs your going to use. And how big your bp's are / how big will they get. There are a few threads in the diy section on rack building as well as some really good YouTube videos as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexio View Post
    First I would decide on the size tubs your going to use. And how big your bp's are / how big will they get. There are a few threads in the diy section on rack building as well as some really good YouTube videos as well.
    They Are All Different Sizes. I Wanted To Do Tubs They Could Just Grow Into. Here are some pictures of them

Thanks
    I am usually apprehensive about starting larger projects based on the idea I'll save money for a few reasons. I am not that handy so I will probably make something that won't last as long as if I had bought it.

The second is that I don't have a large amount of equipment and buying tools is expensive. Sometimes the initial cost hurts but buying from a professional who has worked out the kinks is the easiest and most cost effective . If your determined to do it yourself there are lots of diy threads on here if you search for them and youtube, good luck !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ba11er View Post
    I am usually apprehensive about starting larger projects based on the idea I'll save money for a few reasons. I am not that handy so I will probably make something that won't last as long as if I had bought it.

The second is that I don't have a large amount of equipment and buying tools is expensive. Sometimes the initial cost hurts but buying from a professional who has worked out the kinks is the easiest and most cost effective . If your determined to do it yourself there are lots of diy threads on here if you search for them and youtube, good luck !
    I'm not very handy either & I would have to buy all the t

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    I'm not very handy either & I would have to buy all the t
    Tools to build myself, I just wanted to try. But I talked to my grandma after posting & she also said it might be better & cheaper to just buy one that professionally done to

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I don't know how old you are but here are a couple things to think about. Tools are an investment. If you buy good tools you only have to buy them once. I have tools that I still use that belonged to my great grandfather. Even more of an investment are the skills that you acquire when you learn how to do things. If you have never built anything before it will probably be a pretty painful process however the skills that you pick up will save you money for the rest of your life. The number of people that actually know how to do things these days is absolutely sad and most wouldn't last more than a couple days without a store that carried everything they need. When you know what you are doing the only limit is your imagination. When I decided to get serious about my "hobby" I knew I had to figure out how to do things efficiently and cost effectively. My latest rack design that I actually finished last night holds 18 40qt tubs. It cost me $38 dollars to build. I still need to build two more however imagine what that would have cost if I had to buy them pre-built. I'm betting the shipping would be more than my entire build.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Ba11er (08-05-2016),Vonnie (08-05-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I don't know how old you are but here are a couple things to think about. Tools are an investment. If you buy good tools you only have to buy them once. I have tools that I still use that belonged to my great grandfather. Even more of an investment are the skills that you acquire when you learn how to do things. If you have never built anything before it will probably be a pretty painful process however the skills that you pick up will save you money for the rest of your life. The number of people that actually know how to do things these days is absolutely sad and most wouldn't last more than a couple days without a store that carried everything they need. When you know what you are doing the only limit is your imagination. When I decided to get serious about my "hobby" I knew I had to figure out how to do things efficiently and cost effectively. My latest rack design that I actually finished last night holds 18 40qt tubs. It cost me $38 dollars to build. I still need to build two more however imagine what that would have cost if I had to buy them pre-built. I'm betting the shipping would be more than my entire build.
    I'm 21 & I honestly wouldn't mind sitting down & actually figuring out how to build one myself, I wish I would have thought about this earlier in the summer so then it would have been a project I could have worked on. I might still try if I have some free time seeing as though school is about to start back & I will be working. I just know once I focus on that its going to be my main focus until I finish it. & your right it is a lot of people who wouldn't last if they didn't have a store to depend on. But it is important to be able to acquire new skills. I do want more snakes in the future so I think this is something I should learn how to build.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vonnie For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (08-05-2016)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Good luck. Measure twice, cut once.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Vonnie (08-05-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Good luck. Measure twice, cut once.