Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,643

3 members and 2,640 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Derma Ball - Enter if you dare!

why are u all so damn judgemental its just a different ball nonetheless if u dont have anything nice 2 say say nothing at all and as for the snakes eating habits shouldn't really be a problem because they feed by scent as well i just wish people would really think before they start spouting off at the its pure ignorance to talk about something u have no idea or real information about ps judge not lest ye be judged your self and as for opinions they are like sphincters everyone has one dont come down so hard on something just because its different we as a group are misunderstood by none herp lovers all the time just my 2 cents just tired of all the high and mighty attitudes some people have on this forum
    I AM MY OWN GOD !

Thanks

Re: Derma Ball - Enter if you dare!

Quote Originally Posted by gerbster1 View Post
    why are u all so damn judgemental its just a different ball nonetheless if u dont have anything nice 2 say say nothing at all and as for the snakes eating habits shouldn't really be a problem because they feed by scent as well i just wish people would really think before they start spouting off at the its pure ignorance to talk about something u have no idea or real information about ps judge not lest ye be judged your self and as for opinions they are like sphincters everyone has one dont come down so hard on something just because its different we as a group are misunderstood by none herp lovers all the time just my 2 cents just tired of all the high and mighty attitudes some people have on this forum
    What the hell are you blabbering on about....this crap is almost 5 years old......

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Long For This Useful Post:

joepythons (01-24-2010),jsmorphs2 (01-23-2010),Mike Cavanaugh (01-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

That's the longest run-on sentence I've ever seen...impressive.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

Eventide (01-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

If it bothered you so much, why did you bump a 5 year old thread back to the top?

You're going to judge the "high and mighty attitudes from 5 years ago? And you're going to call people who were sharing well thought out opinions judgemental? Who's the judgemental one in this thread?
    Last edited by rabernet; 01-23-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

how about if your going to cry over what people have to say about it, don't post pictures in the first place.

and also yea 4 1/2 year old thread...thats just awesome. never seen one this old bumped

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Derma Ball - Enter if you dare!

I think it looks cool I would like to get but not if the quality of life is lessened in any way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    Okay, being that I let the veritable hairless cat out of the bag, I wanted to find out what everyone thought of one of the latest discoveries in the Ball Python World. Here is a picture of the Derma Ball: Derma Ball Picture

Personally, I think it is rather pathetic looking and would never want to own one. I'm not sure what the lack of scales and heat pits would mean to a python and whether it would affect the quality of life or its survival, but on a purely aesthetic view, I like to see my snakes with all the right parts especially scales.

I don't see this as a morph, but rather a handicap although that is speculative at this point until more is known about the function of scales and heat pits are in captivity. However, if it is determined to be detrimental to a snake, but not necessarily fatal, how would you feel about breeders propagating this anomaly for financial gain? I'm sure there would always be a market for anything "different" in the Ball Python industry, and it probably wouldn't be much different than a two-headed snake, but personally how would you feel about the breeder?

Just thought I would throw this out there and find out what other people thought.
    I honestly think that you excagurate a bit but then again you're entitled to your own oppinion. How can you even call it pathetic? It's just a snake that happens to have certain genes that makes it look the way it does. It sure isn't unworthy of life and if people don't want it - then why keep looking at it? It doesn't make any sense to look at a thing that gets you in a bad mood. And also would this mean that Stephen Hawking is pathetic despite his great contributions to science?

If the breeder wants to create some more of these Derma Balls then just let the breeder mind his/hers own business. Who knows maybe he/she might be sincerely interested in creating some more of these ball pythons. Most people will probably not be interested in them just like the case with hybrids. I wouldn't buy them. But I will say this: if the Derma Ball works fine in captivity and dosen't suffer (which we can't tell) then I honestly don't see any problems of it being bred.

The snake might be inferior to a normal functioning ball python but I pressume it still can use its tongue to smell where the prey is. And despite the ''little below'' normal eyesight vision in terrestial snakes then it still can see a prey within some distance. And while we're at it then I also pressume it can sense the vibrations coming from the ground. So it might lack a good tool for hunting (''heat sense'') but it isn't all vounable compared to other animals that are bred without people lifting their fingers. I'm thinking about some defenseless lizards, snakes and amphibians.

It just the same thing with albinos and pieds. The colors would probably catch ones attention if the snake were spotted by a mere glimpse. I'm pretty sure that they're more easy to spot in Africa than a normal or darkly colored ball python. Based on this then I pressume that an albino, pied and some other color- and pattern mutations is more liable to be attacked by a predator. This sounds like a big disadvantage and yet we see several types of albinos, pieds and combos being bred every year without people lifting their fingers.

If we even go beyond reptiles then we could take a mexican hairless dog. They're being sold with pedigrees and some people seem to like them. And results from tests show that they're not more liable to infections and so forth.

My point if the snake works fine and doesn't seem to suffer then I don't see any problems if it being bred on a normal basis. But I do think that the breeder should make the buyers aware of any potential things that might influence the buyers oppinion.
    Last edited by Ouroboros; 01-23-2010 at 05:01 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ouroboros For This Useful Post:

exiled reptile (01-24-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    how about if your going to cry over what people have to say about it, don't post pictures in the first place.

and also yea 4 1/2 year old thread...thats just awesome. never seen one this old bumped
    Agree.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So since this thread came back up... I assume the derma ball never proved?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Hornby View Post
    So since this thread came back up... I assume the derma ball never proved?
    I know that Eugene Bissett had a female (I can't recalled what he called his, not derma though - but same thing) and she died this past fall. He talked about her on Reptile Radio a few times, and he did say that her skin tore easily when feeding so he had to be careful of prey size, and had to feed her pre-killed.

I believe I remember the original owner of the male derma did breed him and produced a clutch (or more) of normal appearing babies and was at one point offering them for sale as het derma. My memory isn't what it used to be, so I may have my facts a bit off, but that's what I recall from a year or two ago.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

exiled reptile (01-24-2010)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast