Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,099

2 members and 3,097 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Assist feeding didnt work, snake thin

I know this forum is flooded with feeding problems, but I'm looking to see what I'm missing with my problem banana hatchling. I'm quite worried about her. I have other BPs and they are awesome feeders.

Her set-up: 10 gallon aquarium with all sides blacked out with dark construction paper except for top 4 inches on the front. Top 3/4 covered with damp towel to maintain humidity at about 60% (with lots of variation, cant wait until her pvc setup arrives). One side heated to 86* using underbelly heat and thermostat. Cozy hides on both sides, water bowl in middle. Quiet room, normal daylight cycle.

What I've tried:
    First 5 days after arrived shipped- left her alone to acclimate
    Day 6: attempted F/T hopper mouse, heated a few minutes under heat lamp
    Day 8: shed (perfect)
    Day 12: attempted F/T hopper mouse, heated a few minutes under heat lamp
    Day 17: attempted live small hopper mouse for 15 minutes, she acted terrified
    Day 22: attempted F/T pinky rat, heated a few minutes under heat lamp
    Day 28 (today): attempted assist feeds of F/T fuzzy mouse. She spat it out the first try. The 2nd try she tried very hard to spit it out and it was lodged on her bottom teeth. I had to lift and push the mouse in a little and she spat it out the rest of the way. Worried that her lower jaw may have been minorly injured, but I didn't see anything. (assist feed description- held gently on either side of her mouth while resting most of her body on towel, mouse pushed 3/4 of way into mouth, gently set down and then I didn't move)

She's quite thin. The only other thing I can think of is to move her to a tub of some kind, which I'll go buy tomorrow. I may be trying to often (every 5 days). Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Assist feeding didnt work, snake thin

Quote Originally Posted by anthroterra View Post
    I know this forum is flooded with feeding problems, but I'm looking to see what I'm missing with my problem banana hatchling. I'm quite worried about her. I have other BPs and they are awesome feeders.

Her set-up: 10 gallon aquarium with all sides blacked out with dark construction paper except for top 4 inches on the front. Top 3/4 covered with damp towel to maintain humidity at about 60% (with lots of variation, cant wait until her pvc setup arrives). One side heated to 86* using underbelly heat and thermostat. Cozy hides on both sides, water bowl in middle. Quiet room, normal daylight cycle.

What I've tried:
    Day 28 (today): attempted assist feeds of F/T fuzzy mouse. She spat it out the first try. The 2nd try she tried very hard to spit it out and it was lodged on her bottom teeth. I had to lift and push the mouse in a little and she spat it out the rest of the way. Worried that her lower jaw may have been minorly injured, but I didn't see anything. (assist feed description- held gently on either side of her mouth while resting most of her body on towel, mouse pushed 3/4 of way into mouth, gently set down and then I didn't move)

She's quite thin. The only other thing I can think of is to move her to a tub of some kind, which I'll go buy tomorrow. I may be trying to often (every 5 days). Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Try feeding live.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Move her to a shoe box size tub with very small hides. If she has eaten on her own before assist feed will not work. Leave her alone in the new tub dark and quiet for a week then put in a live rat pup with eyes closed very quick and remove the water bowl as you do it. Leave it in there over night. Check in the morning to see if it is gone, remove it if not eaten. Try again in a week without bothering her at all in between.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kibbleswhites For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    i just did this this past weekend with mine, does not make me an expert however, this was my process.

i bought a rat pup had no fur at all on it. he was not having it at all, same thing he would just spit it out. so i got a mouse pinky, it was only 1 gram, i put that in his mouth and gently pushed, held it for a minute or so and then bam, he started taking it down. i placed him back in the tub and let him be for a little while, me knowing that 1 gram is not enough food for him, i tried again with the 5 gram rat pup, it was the same one that i tried the first time, i ran some warm water over it and then dried it off, then the same process open mouth and gently push. once i felt it was in far enough i waited for a min or so and then he took that down too! i am hoping that i wont have to do it anymore, i hope that next week when i try again that they will take it on there own.

i wish you luck, there are videos on line, i am pretty sure i watched all of them. just watch some to build your confidence and give it a go.

Thanks

I did try live, as stated in my post.

Kibbleswhites- Thank you. I'll try that, but with an eyes-closed mouse (no live rats around here, even the live mouse is an hour and a half drive to get). I don't think she's ever fed on her own before.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

What I've tried:

It's not about assist feeding it's about providing optimum environment which you do not.

You assist when the animal never ate and refuse to take his very first meal (hopefully you did not buy an un- started hatchling) or when there is an health issue and this is the very last resort.

If the animal ate before it will again if you fix your husbandry do this to a T and do not offer that often switching prey type each time you are making it worse http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237595

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-31-2016 at 10:03 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (08-01-2016),Asherah (07-31-2016),Brent857 (08-14-2016),Dezoruba (08-03-2016),embrit345 (08-02-2016),GoingPostal (08-01-2016),PitOnTheProwl (08-01-2016)

Thanks

AM1GROSS- ty.

Deborah- Uh... thanks for the degrading reply. I was asking how to improve the husbandry, and my setup and such is similar to that described in your linked post and others like it "Whether you dislike tubs or have the perfect 10 gallons setup ready to go it does not matter what matter it to provide the optimum setup which means cramped." 86*/76* monitored with thermostat, 60% humidity, aspen, hides (exo-terra mediums 6.3 x 9.4 x 2.6 at peak), let her acclimate (ok, a day shy of suggestion). Check. Offered every 5-6 days, but admit it should probably be 7 or more at first. This is not my first young snake, just the first I've had issues with. My first feed was F/T rather than live because live is unavailable here. I tried the rat once and live once because I don't know what she was started on. With her body so thin, this is last resort. I bought from a reputable breeder who is hard to get info from (Bob Clark). He didn't provide hatch date or much else, unlike everyone else I have ever dealt with. I thought I would be getting a started snake, but the shed so soon after getting her and very small size makes me unsure. Waiting on a reply from him.

I'm buying a small tub with suggested hides tomorrow and leaving her alone again for a week once I set her up in it, then trying close-eyed live mouse. She's certainly worth making the long drive again. If I can get her feeding on live then I'll have the issue of getting her switched later (driving three hours every weekend is a bit much and I won't be breeding mice), but one problem at a time! I just hope she lasts. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll update at next feed.

Thanks
    What is her current weight? Mine that i bought this weekend, one was 50 grams ( female vanilla) and the the other was 57 grams (male fire). Mine were born on July 6th and July 7th. They have already had there 1st shed while at the breeders, they just was not eating. Breeder was not comfortable with the assisting of feeding. which i was comfortable with trying. And it was a success.

Like deb said, with the proper husbandry all will be well. i have seen it myself, it really does make a difference. Now that my new babies got something in there belly and i got there new apts set up, they will be eating next week. i will keep you posted!

If you can get a pinky, that would probably be best, mine was just 1 gram, pretty small in size and was really easy to do once you get the right grip on the noodle. I will say that i hope I never have to do it again, but if i say that i am in the wrong hobby!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mike

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Uh... thanks for the degrading reply.
    What?? You ask a question but don't like being told whats wrong?

(Bob Clark)
    You probably wont get a response for a while as his wife just lost her fight with cancer yesterday morning.

So, what was this animal eating before you purchased it? Did you ask when you purchased it?

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    BTW a mouse pup with the eyes closed is way too small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast