Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

1 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Proplapse Treatment?

I work at a pet store specializing in herps and other exotics, recently a 1.2 trio of leopard geckoes came in, the male currently has prolasped hemipenes. Both of them are protruding outside of the vent and will not got back in.

I removed him from the cage and put him alone in a sterilite containter with a damp paper towel to keep the tissue from drying out completely. Yesterday we cleaned the tissue and treated it with a mild antibiotic ointment. I called earlier and it still has not gone back where it needs to be.

I read up on it and today I'm going to try a suger-water soak. IF that still doesn't work, I'm going to try to force the tissue back in his vent.

If anyone knows of a better way to deal with this, please advise. I've read about what vets do and the only thing they do above and beyond what I described above is suture the tissue into place or remove it if it is too damaged.
    -Brad

Thanks

Re: Proplapse Treatment?

Never try to force a prolapse back inside. You could cause further damage than has already been caused, and the gecko could possibly die. Try the sugar solution as it will pull the moisture out of the organ, reducing the swelling and allowing it to retract back inside. Mix water with ALOT of sugar, and make a paste out of it. You can also try a warm water soak and see if that will help. If you have any iodine or betadine, you can wash him with that to keep it clean, but just a antibacterial soap and water should work well enough, as well as the triple-antibiotic ointment.

If you try to force it back into a space where the organ cannot fit, you could rupture a hemipene or intestines and cause a hemorrhage. No vet could fix that. Just try the less invasive treatments and see what happens. If the organ starts to turn purple, black, or starts to have an odor, take the gecko to the vet immediately. This means that the tissue is not getting enough blood flow and is starting to die.

Hope he pulls through this ordeal. If he does, you may not want to put him back in with females, as this may happen again. I don't know if it is the same with reptiles, but in cattle and other animals, prolapses are hereditary and can be passed on to the offspring. I don't know if I would want that gecko passing that on to his offspring.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Thanks Becky, I'll just try the sugar soak tonight. As of yesterday, the prolapsed tissue was still pinkish and moist, so I think he's still got a shot at recovering from the prolapse w/o veterinary treatment. Thanks for the advice.
    -Brad

Thanks

hey brad, you might try giving Al a call, he might be of some help.
    http://www.kingsnake.com/harford/

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

After a few sugar-water soaks, antibiotic ointment, and a clean tub, the prolapse appears to be getting better. It really just looks like the swelling has gone down, and luckily the tissue still looks good. Its been about a week now, I'm hoping the hemipenes can retract by themselves...
    Last edited by elevatethis; 05-27-2005 at 12:48 PM.
    -Brad

Thanks

Glad to hear your making progress! I was wondering how the little guy was doing. Thanks for the update!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

The way it is looking, and especially how normal the tissue still appears, I'm starting to wonder if he even WANTS them to go back in. He's still got an appetite and ate twice yesterday. Who knows what is going on with this little guy.....
    -Brad