Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

0 members and 2,973 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,561
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Ideas on which ways to go for my next purchase

Hello all...I'm a novice in the world of ball python keeping and I'm at a crossroad as to which way to go next. In a years time I've purchased 6 ball pythons..1.0 Banana, 1.0 Bumblebee, 1.0 Mojave, 1.0 Enchi, 0.1 Enchi-Mojave and 0.1 Mystic. The Banana and Bumblebee males were purchased first, because those were the morphs that sucked me in. After some research I came across the Mystic potion, which I later found the snakes to make it and purchased them soon after. I was thinking of picking up a Mocha and/or a Russo to make Elixirs and Invisiballs. With that being said...what are the opinions of the forum? Any info, advice or other options would be appreciated

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    You definitely are male heavy so I'd just focus on finding bigger females at this point. Don't try to create every morph you like all in the first year. Have your few planned clutches and then hope for some nice hold backs to save you some money. Plus you don't want to get overwhelmed with babies before you establish your market.

Thanks

Re: Ideas on which ways to go for my next purchase

Thanks. I'm gonna try to fight the itch to pick up another snake right now. In all honesty I do need to simmer down and allow my smaller 3 to mature. My next purchase will definitely be an older female or a morph that I want...skipping the whole Ideal of buying the snakes to create it.

Thanks
    That's good advice. You're definitely gonna want more females. Don't sacrifice quality for quantity though. A lot of people seem to get into the hobby and end up male heavy. Not a big deal. You'll be able to find some bigger females that will help you get started breeding with a few clutches. Get some holdback girls and grow from there. My collection is around 1:4 males to females. This allows me to breed males to multiple females. I also only breed the females a maximum of 2 years in a row. If their size and weight is good after a season they'll breed that second. But the automatically get year 3 off regardless of how big they are. Having extra girls of the same morphs around allows me to not take any time off from any particular project.
    Mike

Check out Porter's Pythons on Youtube, Facebook and on Instagram @porterspythons
    http://www.porterspythons.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

i keep 1:4 also tho atm im 1:3 but even if you buy a morph you want you can still buy a female that way you do not end up super male heavy
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input and advice