Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

1 members and 3,213 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

BP.Nets guide to ball python morphs...Update??

Noticed that the morphs in the guide were all posted and described back in 2011, just wondering if there were any plans to update the threads as im sure there are new morphs out that are not on the list. Not to knock whats there. Very nice list and description of the morphs, one of the most informative sources I have been able to find. Just curious if any new ones since will be added. Thanks.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BP.Nets guide to ball python morphs...Update??

There are more than 4500 different mutations this would become a full time job on the top of what the staff already has to do if we wanted to catch up, additionally we only use pictures owned and submitted by members which greatly reduce our ability to have a full list of all the mutations in exitence.

Our mission is not to have all mutations cataloged but provide husbandry advice to those needing them.

However if you have pictures of a mutation not featured please feel free to contact the staff with pictures and description.

For the rest the is worldofballpythons.com whose main mission is to feature all mutations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-24-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

OTorresUSMC (07-23-2016),paulh (07-24-2016),wolfy-hound (07-23-2016)

Thanks

yea i have been on the world of ball pythons site. Only bad thing with them is most of the morphs they list have no sort of description, just some pics. Unfortunately for me im not great at picking out the features of some of the morphs haha. Obviously color ones are easy but there are some listed where im like isnt that a normal?? lol. Thats what i like about the ones listed here. Very good descriptions posted. I get what youre saying about how many are out there and the work it would require to try documenting and cataloging them though. Thanks for the response.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Don't forget there are a lot of "morphs" on WOBP that are the same as others listed OR not much more than a clean normal. SMH
    I am for getting some type or reason why you would think its a morph, alters pattern or color?
    WOBP is only really for looking a photos.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (07-23-2016),OTorresUSMC (07-23-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Don't forget there are a lot of "morphs" on WOBP that are the same as others listed OR not much more than a clean normal. SMH
    I am for getting some type or reason why you would think its a morph, alters pattern or color?
    Exactly, ive seen so many that look similar and i think a lot of the time its just someones own different line that they decided to name. Having descriptors is so much more helpful but even a lot of the breeder sites that have some descriptions are from several years ago. I know with having designer morphs the numbers jump through the roof but is there any idea how many basic genetic morphs there are, proven ones anyway?? As in just the individual recessive, dom and incomp. Dom traits.
    0.1 Woma Pinstripe "Gemma"
    0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    0.1 Rio(Super Arroyo) "Wendy"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Ghost "Unser"
    1.0 KillerBee Yellow Belly "Half-Sack"

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Yes it would be nice if those who are capable could attempt to describe some as to as they differ from normal. This is probably easier said than done. Pictures are not real helpful for subtle animals especially if you don't know what to look for in the first place. Even KM's book is very lacking in this regard.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Photos often don't give you a real life vision of the animal for many of the "subtle" morphs. The "She's really stunning in person..." on so many bland photos is just the proof of the limitations.

If you have a particular morph that is confusing, you can always post a thread asking on here. For instance, if you see photos of fires but it looks like regular normals, you would post a thread asking "What makes a fire different visually from a normal, and what can a fire do genetically" or whatever details you would like to know.

Updating the database to include ALL of the morphs and lines would be a full time job for a team, in my opinion.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OTorresUSMC View Post
    .... I know with having designer morphs the numbers jump through the roof but is there any idea how many basic genetic morphs there are, proven ones anyway?? As in just the individual recessive, dom and incomp. Dom traits.
    The World ofBall Pythons morph list says ball pythons have 288 basic morphs (gene mutations). However, there are 5 entries for different lines of axanthic ball pythons. Banana and coral glow are believed to be the same mutation. Also lesser and butter. So 288 is probably larger than the real number of mutations. Still, we might take that as an outside estimate of the true figure. The rest of WoBP's 4700+ morphs are combinations of mutations, which are fairly easy to make once you have the mutations. And 4700 is a small number compared to the many, many thousands of possible combinations. Too bad so many of the possible combos produce a more or less white snake.