Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Extra feeding??

Thanks

Extra feeding??

Hi I have a okatee corn that's about 2 years old he's eating f/t adult mice. It seems latley that he is hungry a couple days after feeding. Now his girth is just a tad bigger than the adult mouse. I was wondering do any of you double up on mice come feeding time. I feed every 7 days. My only concern is the health of the snake as I have read that over feeding cuts there life span down. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Corn snakes are like labradors, they will eat until they explode. I only ever double up on mice for my females when prepping them for breeding season. My males are fed 1 large or extra large adult mouse every 14 days except for when I am also gearing them up for breeding season, and then they get the 1 mouse every 7 days.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (07-14-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Extra feeding??

I can verify through personal experience of the over feeding being an issue my first snake was a corn snake and I was feeding her every 7 days with the largest mouse I was able to get her to eat. Suffice to say she got insanely fat and ended up taking a 3 month hiatus in feeding despite me handling her just about every day and for long periods. Quite frankly looking back its amazing she made it to 15years of age. I had seen other corns in pet shops and at the time due to my ignorance I assumed they weren't feeding them enough. Bearing in mind I had my corn out every evening while I was at school for most of the evening so she got massive amounts of exercise despite this she ended up hugely fat. Eventually she fasted for 3months And I finally did more research and found out I had been over feeding her a lot, thankfully the fact I had her out so much and kept her so active reduced the scale of the issue to the above mentioned fast.

I cannot emphasize this enough unless you have the time to handle them for 2-3 hours a day as I did (being a mere teen out in the middle of nowhere) then feed as recommended. I obviously can only advise on what not to do which is feed adult corns every 7 days. I would suggest every 10-14 days. I freely admit I screwed up on how often to feed an adult corn but it took 15 years for the results to occur.