Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,242

1 members and 3,241 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Cool Hey all I just got my first cornsnake

Greetings all I just got given a baby corn snake with enclosure food lamps, and decorations. I am loving it so far, I however do have a few questions.
    1.) He got to my house at approx. 12:00 - 12:15 pm EST, how long before he might come out from the substrate?
    2.) He was reportedly fed 1 week ago, so when should I feed him?, also should I use a separate enclosure for feeding, not certain first snake in like 15+ years lol
    3.) what should the daylight temperature be, his tank is at 82 degrees Fahrenheit not sure what temperature should be for a corn snake
    4.) Any other advice/tips/info will be appreciated and employed immediately.
    Thanks for the time and advice in advance. I hope to also get pictures soon.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Hey all I just got my first cornsnake

For baby corns feeding one appropriately sized mouse a week for adults every 10 - 14 days, I would give it 2-3 days to settle in and then try feeding. Be warned though corns are insanely greedy - didn't know this with mine until she refused to eat for 3 months due to having gotten hugely fat. Took 3 months of an exercise regimen consisting of daily swimming lessons in the bathtub to get her hungry enough to eat. Corn snake are nocturnal so check at night for activity, 20-25 celcius is fine for corns and reduce it to 15 celcius to trigger the breeding season when their old enough.

Edit: she was fat enough that after she slimmed down she was 1/4 thinner - was feeding her twice as often as I should have fed an adult.
    Last edited by Vipera Berus; 07-13-2016 at 04:48 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vipera Berus For This Useful Post:

mrdadbry890 (07-13-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Congrats on the new corn Bry. I keep the hot spot for my colubrids at 84-88F with a cool side of about 75F. I'd let the new snake acclimate to it's new environment for about a week and then offer a meal. It won't hurt to try feeding sooner though. I've fed some snakes a day or two after arrival. If he was fed a week ago he's probably hungry. I usually feed baby snakes every 5 days until they turn one, I feed the yearlings every 7 days until they turn two, and then every 10-14 days once they're adults. The babies and yearlings get roughly 10-15% (sometimes a little more/less) of their body weight per feeding. The adults eat closer to 10% of their body weight per feeding. ALL of my snakes are fed inside their enclosures. I started off feeding my first snake in a separate enclosure because that's what the pet store employee recommended but after joining this forum and doing more research I realized it was totally unnecessary and was actually more stressful for the snake, and for me, to feed outside the enclosure. Please share pics of your snake and setup when you can.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

mrdadbry890 (07-13-2016)

Thanks

Thank you all for the awesome advice and I just snapped two pictures

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrdadbry890 For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (07-13-2016)

Thanks
    What a cutie!

I agree with El Ziggy as usual, great minds think a like!

I do not use lamps with my Colubrids. Totally not needed. I use UTH on a thermostat for a hot spot of 83-85 and don't really mess with cold side temps. Mine do great!! I do feed in a separate container. Just the Colubrids, not the Pythons. It's just what has always worked well for me and all but one of mine do very well that way. They know tub=food

Also, I know we can only see one side of your Viv, but all of my Corns love to climb so I give them stuff to climb on. They especially enjoy reptile hammocks and I put a fake flower or whatever up there for them to hide under if they want.
    4.3 Corns (Ziggy, Maximus, Twix, Henley, Amelia, Akasha, Zahara)
    1.1 Rosy Boas (Moonshine, Peaches)
    0.1 Licorice Black Rat (Lacey)
    1.1 Balls- Special Lesser Leucistic (Raka), Nuclear (Vesta)
    1.1 Carpets-Caramel Coastal (Michonne), Highlighter Jungle (Grimes)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcjumper For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (07-13-2016),mrdadbry890 (07-14-2016)

Thanks

Your Baby Corn is adorable CONGRATS
    Lady Mkrj58

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady mkrj58 For This Useful Post:

mrdadbry890 (07-14-2016)