Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

2 members and 3,166 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

BP attacking a dog ?!

I am really dubious about this story of a 4' ball python that the neighbours say attacked their poodle and bit its ear. Has anyone here seen a BP strike a pet dog or cat?

http://fox11online.com/news/local/la...ot-still-loose

The search is on in Mishicot for a snake that supposedly attacked a poodle at an apartment complex early Monday morning."The owners of a ball python snake had that snake attack their dog," said Officer Jacob Schweigl of the Mishicot Police Department. "The owners were able to free the dog and then in turn tossed the snake off their balcony."
    It is illegal to keep an exotic animal as a pet in Mishicot.
    Police say the dog's owner told them the dog had a slight bite out of its ear. They also said the snake was about four feet in length.
    "The police department is working with Wisconsin Wildlife to set up a trap to apprehend the snake," said Schweigl.
    At Colonial Pet Shoppe in Manitowoc, the ball python is the most popular type of snake people purchase as pets.
    "We sell a lot of them because they are a docile snake as far as the snake family gets and they don't get super large," said Randy Knapp, the owner of Colonial Pet Shoppe.
    Knapp says the incident in Mishicot does not match the typical behavior of a ball python.
    "I am quite surprised, because I can't say I've ever heard of a ball python attacking a pet," said Knapp. "It would have to be hungry or maybe irritated or if it feels it is under stress that it would attack back."
    Ball pythons are not venomous. However, police are asking people not to approach the snake and to instead call them if they happen to see it.
    The Manitowoc County Sheriff's Department has not said whether the people will be fined for having the snake in the first place.

Last edited by The Golem; 07-03-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I'd like to see a toxicology report from both owners. I'm willing to bet the only two parties not under the influence were the snake and the dog...
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Greensleeves001 (07-03-2016),John1982 (07-03-2016)

Registered User butterballpython's Avatar
    Thanks
    Brickle accepts doggy kisses from my collie. He just sort of rolls back on his belly and keeps on going. The dog seems a bit confused that the snake doesn't respond.
    1.0 bp butter "Brickle" the friendly explorer
    0.1 bp champagne "Bubbles" the shy one
    0.1 bp normal "Callista" the little one

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any BP can display a defensive behavior toward a human or another warm blooded animal, they are wild animal.

As this happened to me with a BP and my dog? No but a Honduran Milkshake and my dog? Yes (simple defensive tag and release of a dog that was being nosy when I opened a snake tub)
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "the dog had a slight bite out of it's ear"????? Since when do ball pythons take a bite out of anything???
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks
    The dog was probably sniffing the snake, and the snake didn't like it. My dog thought it would be a good idea to try and sniff my brums face, and she went for him. I was able to pull away in time before she bit him or he bit her.
    The dog most likely looked like a predator trying to eat it. If you had a massive creature right by your face you would probably lash out also.

But that doesn't justify throwing the snake off a balcony though
    Snakes:
    ~Ball Pythons: 1.0 Spider (Corkii) --- 1.0 Mojave (Meeko) --- 1.0 Bumblebelly (Pringle) --- 0.1 Normal (Fraggles) --- 0.1 Lesser Enchi (Khaleesi) --- 1.0 Pied (Piper)
    ~Cornsnakes: 0.1 Tessera.het Amel Motley (Twiglet) --- 1.0 Amel (Wotsit)
    ~Hognose: 0.0.1 Normal.66%hetAlbino (Waffle)
    ~Boa: 0.1 Normal (Medusa)
    ~Spotted Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Bredlis Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Burmese Python: 0.1 Granite (Skittles)
    Lizards:
    ~Crested Geckos: 1.0 Buckskin Dalmatian (Rex) --- 0.1 Orange Dalmatian (Apollo) --- 1.1 Harlequin (Cosmos / Nova) --- 1.0 Extreme Harlequin (Dino) --- 1.1 Halloween Partial Pin (Pumpkin/Unnamed) --- 1.0 Red and Cream partial pin (unnamed)
    ~Leopard Gecko: 1.0 Hypo (Dave)
    ~Bearded Dragon: 0.1 Red Leatherback.hetTrans
    ~Ackie Monitor: 0.0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Jewled Lecarta 1.0 (Wizard)
    Others:
    Tortoise, Dog, Tarantulas, Parrot

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LightningPython For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-03-2016),Greensleeves001 (07-03-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BP attacking a dog ?!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    "the dog had a slight bite out of it's ear"????? Since when do ball pythons take a bite out of anything???
    Ever since media started to exaggerate everything

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Slim (07-03-2016)

Thanks
    Eh, there was a story in a newspaper claiming a pit bull had taken a child's hand off. A few days later they ran a "correction" (in teeny tiny print in an area nobody reads, of course) saying that oops, it was a Sheltie, and oops, the kid only got nipped on the finger. But of course since the original story was so much more exciting, why bother about facts, even if that story may be used by pit bull haters to justify evil actions? You can't trust anything the media says about animals. Or probably what they say about anything, lol. But especially animals, and especially headline-grabbing animals like reptiles or "scary" dog breeds.

I don't believe it's possible for a BP or probably any snake to take a chunk out of anything. They have grabbing teeth, not incisors.

Thanks

Dumbest thing I've read. That quote: "The of a ball python snake had that snake attack their dog," seems to imply they frickin like some guard dog. Oookkaayyy

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I'd like to see a toxicology report from both owners. I'm willing to bet the only two parties not under the influence were the snake and the dog...
    Oh, I don't know. The snake and the dog may have become influenced by the fumes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Slim (07-03-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast