Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

0 members and 3,178 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Culling small mice

My mice are almost of age to be culled. How does one cull a fuzzy??
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I have several snakes that like new mice friends and give them hugs

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Fraido (07-03-2016),GoingPostal (07-03-2016),meganmarkita15 (09-10-2016),Reinz (07-03-2016),SCWood (07-03-2016)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Or co2.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Freezer is the best way.....and before people get mad

Mice under the age of 10 days are resistant to CO2 and could take up to 50 min of exposure to CO2 before being effective and therefore freezing is recognized as an acceptable method of euthanasia by the AVMA
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-03-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Culling small mice

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

Mice under the age of 10 days are resistant to CO2 and could take up to 50 min of exposure to CO2 before being effective and therefore freezing is recognized as an acceptable method of euthanasia by the AVMA
    I did CD because they were just over 10 days :3
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Is there a time when rats should be culled in the freezer or are they separate and need co2 all the time? I guess it's kind of moot since balls usually start on mice and then move to rat pups, but I'm still interested to know.

Also, does it matter what kind of freezer? Like between the manual and auto defrosting freezers?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bks2100 View Post
    Is there a time when rats should be culled in the freezer or are they separate and need co2 all the time? I guess it's kind of moot since balls usually start on mice and then move to rat pups, but I'm still interested to know.

Also, does it matter what kind of freezer? Like between the manual and auto defrosting freezers?
    Small rodents (rats, mice, gerbils, ASF ...) under 10 days of age are all hypoxia resistant as mentioned above so freezing is recommended.

After that you should use CO2, cervical dislocation is also a method that is used but it will depends on the size of the animal and the number of animals that have to be dispatched.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-06-2016)

Thanks

Small rodents (rats, mice, gerbils, ASF ...) under 10 days of age are all hypoxia resistant as mentioned above so freezing is recommended.

After that you should use CO2, cervical dislocation is also a method that is used but it will depends on the size of the animal and the number of animals that have to be dispatched.
    I just use CD because it was less complicated and free
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I use cervical dislocation on mine, but I'm only culling weaned mice 16-19 grams or older atm. I accidentally broke one of my feeding tongs, so I'm using one half of it as a rod to hold them in place, and I quickly place the rod on their neck and pull by the base of the tail in one fluid motion. 9 times out 10 there's not so much as a twitch out of them, so it kills instantly. You just have to be sure you pull with the proper amount of pressure, and doing everything quickly so they're not startled into residual muscle spasms, but even if there's a kick or two they're dead so long as there isn't a heart beat. I can cull 20 mice in under 5 minutes, so long as I'm not having to chase them down.

I did also cull my adult ex-breeder male in the same fashion, and it worked well. He was well into advanced old age, and could barely move and was hunched from what was probably arthritis. I couldn't bear to see him like that, so I culled him immediately. I've had him 8-9 months, and he was an adult when I got him, so at least 4 months old. My females are quickly deteriorating, too, so they may be next. They're still going relatively strong, so I'm hoping they'll improve a bit and live a few more months. They're even older than he was.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 07-08-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I use cervical dislocation on mine, but I'm only culling weaned mice 16-19 grams or older atm. I accidentally broke one of my feeding tongs, so I'm using one half of it as a rod to hold them in place, and I quickly place the rod on their neck and pull by the base of the tail in one fluid motion. 9 times out 10 there's not so much as a twitch out of them, so it kills instantly. You just have to be sure you pull with the proper amount of pressure, and doing everything quickly so they're not startled into residual muscle spasms, but even if there's a kick or two they're dead so long as there isn't a heart beat. I can cull 20 mice in under 5 minutes, so long as I'm not having to chase them down.

I did also cull my adult ex-breeder male in the same fashion, and it worked well. He was well into advanced old age, and could barely move and was hunched from what was probably arthritis. I couldn't bear to see him like that, so I culled him immediately. I've had him 8-9 months, and he was an adult when I got him, so at least 4 months old. My females are quickly deteriorating, too, so they may be next. They're still going relatively strong, so I'm hoping they'll improve a bit and live a few more months. They're even older than he was.
    Okay I think the spasms must be from me hesitating. Next time I'll be swift with it and fluid. Because I was nervous I think
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)