Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,268

1 members and 3,267 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Digital ZooMed For Tub???

So I recently decided to go with a tub for my ball pythons.
    First, here is an image so I can get opinions on whether or not there's anything wrong with it.

The tub is a 21 qt. under bed sterilite.
    I switched from bedding to paper towels for the obvious reasons and to bring down the constant 80-90% humidity in the tub.
    Before, Sebastion was in something larger and he's been fine, so I personally believe the size is not an issue.
    I have a UTH on one side, and was wondering with the digital thermometer I have, is it accurate? How should I set it up?
    Currently I have the digital reading on the outside, with the wire and the (reader)? on the inside above where the UTH would be, and underneath the paper towels. But if its literally above where the UTH is, how is it accurately reading the entire environment instead of just the UTH it's on top of? So is it just the spot it's on being read? or the whole environment?
    Just a satanist and her snake.

Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MercedesBenz For This Useful Post:

TCampanaro (06-28-2016)

Thanks

Re: Digital ZooMed For Tub???

I have a few of those zoo med thermometers, they are in a drawer. I have found they can be anywhere from 5-15 degrees off. Like above said the acurite 00891 is very accurate, it shows the same temp readings as my Herpstat and VE thermostats. Plus you can put probe on hot side and place the unit on cool side and then you will be able to read your hot temp, cool temp, and humidity from 1 unit. BTW I own 11 of the acurite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

TCampanaro (07-01-2016)

Thanks

Re: Digital ZooMed For Tub???

For me it really comes into the thing that I am measuring. If I want to know the temperature of a surface I use an infrared temperature gun.
    If I want to know the ambient air temperature of an area I use the zoo med probes you have. They also work great for taking temps under water or buried underneath sand or other substrates. I use them for my red eared slider tank to measure water and in every tortoise enclosure I have to measure basking temps and ambient temps. They all work well within one to two degrees of each other.
    In my rack I use the infrared thermometer to measure hot side UTH with and I use the probe to measure the cool side/ ambient temp.
    Just sticking the probe under the paper towels in the tub will not give you an accurate measurement of what the hot sides surface temp really is, like chrid said.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexio For This Useful Post:

TCampanaro (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i have a few of those lil thermometers. their probe only read the surface or air it is in contact with. it doesn't read the whole environment. but alotta peeps actually use these lil thermometers to measure temps of incubating eggs, so it works good. also depending on wear u buy them - an Accurite may only be $2 more then these things and also reads humidity.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

TCampanaro (07-01-2016)