Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,129

1 members and 1,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User butterballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

Pink Alien Heads & Enchi???

OK, I'll admit it--I was looking at bps in the pet store today. All three looked like they're in good health.

One looked similar to a normal, but from about midway down to the belly it was lighter and sort of gray, with pink alien heads. This animal was in shed.

Another one looked similar to a normal, but the pattern met over the spine in three places. There was a lot of black little pattern spots over the alien heads. Would this be an enchi?

The third looked like a normal, and was very dark, almost black.

I'm tempted, and have a coupon for 10% off anything in the store. Can anyone comment on these descriptions and possible morphs?
    1.0 bp butter "Brickle" the friendly explorer
    0.1 bp champagne "Bubbles" the shy one
    0.1 bp normal "Callista" the little one

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pictures are worth a thousand words, can't tell you what it may or may not be based on YOUR description.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

danielwilu2525 (06-25-2016),wolfy-hound (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    OK, thanks. I don't know if the pet store would let me take a picture of the one with the pink alien heads, they tend to not like people taking pictures.

I looked at the morph guide, and enchis have to have reduced pattern in addition to the pattern meeting over the spine, so the one I saw couldn't have been an enchi.

I'm still curious about the pink alien heads.
    Last edited by butterballpython; 06-25-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    I would snap up the one with pink even in shed just out of curiosity. That sounds like something fun and new. Although my pied gets pinkish when she sheds on her white I've not seen anything else on her turn pink.

Thanks

Re: Pink Alien Heads & Enchi???

I'm sharing your thoughts on this. I'm setting up another tank now, and will head back there in a few minutes.

Thanks
    Why do they care if you take a snakes picture? Could it be burned maybe?

Thanks
    Pictures yet?

Thanks
    OK, here's the update....

I called the pet store and asked them to hold the snake that's in shed for me. When I got there, I showed the man the pink and we compared it to the other two. He saw the pink too, and said he hadn't noticed it before, but these snakes just came in today and he hadn't had a chance to take a good look at them. The alien heads on the other two were definitely goldish colored all the way down, and on this one, they were goldish closer to the spine and pinkish further down, with more pink on some than others. It also has more fading of the dark color in between the alien heads than the other two. When I told him I wanted this snake for the coloring, he said that I have 30 days to return it if I'm not happy with it, and that if the pink goes away after the shed, he will take the snake back and refund my money if I want to return it.

I took the snake to someone who knows snakes more than I do, which is pretty much anybody with herps. Under the light there, there was very little pink. Almost nothing. I swore to her that I'm not insane. I asked her if it's a male or a female, and she said based on the spurs she'd guess female. Then she popped it and said female, but to be positive I'd need to check with someone we both know who is experienced in probing snakes. She said the snake is a "very pretty normal." She noticed a mostly healed scratch under the snake that she said looks like it may have come from rubbing shed, but should be OK and is nothing to worry about.

I took her home, and under the light in my house it looks sort of between what it was at the store and where I took the snake to be sexed, pink-wise. After the shed, if I'm still seeing some pink, maybe I should look around for a normal with the same coloring and try breeding them for a project.

Right now she's in a very snarky mood because she's about to shed, maybe tonight. I am about halfway through setting up a cage for her, and I've figured out that if I run a cord under the door to the laundry room I can put her cage on the same thermostat as my bearded dragon's enclosure. Then by fine tuning where the probe is in the beardie's cage, I should be able to control the heat in both cages on the same thermostat. I can use the point and click thermometer to monitor things.

So that's my adventure for today. I'll get pictures and post them when I can. She is in one whale of a bad mood and getting her out of the box and into the new tank might be another adventure.

Thanks
    Here's a picture that I took at the store. I'm using an old camera and a vintage Mac desktop, so it's not the greatest. She's the one in front. This doesn't look as pinky as it did in person, but if you look at the bottom of the alien heads on her side and tail you can see that they are more pink than the other snake. This is what I was trying to describe. It's a dark photo and looked more pink/salmon colored in person.

What do you think? A keeper or not?
    Last edited by butterballpython; 06-26-2016 at 02:42 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to butterballpython For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-26-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Pink Alien Heads & Enchi???

I see what you are talking about and it is a very nice looking normal. What really counts is what you see in her and for her.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 06-26-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

butterballpython (06-26-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast