Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,258

2 members and 3,256 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

My Petsmart Rescue Swallowed A Live Mouse

I went to petsmart & got 1/2 of the ball pythons there (hopefully I get the other today) anyways I tried feeding it a thawed out pinky because I assumed that’s what it was eating at petsmart (but it looks like it hasn’t eaten in a while that’s why I got it) it grabbed the pinky & spit it out. So I gave it a live pinky it struck constricted it took him/her a long time to kill it & it ate. Then I give him/her another pinky it struck constricted took him a long time. I thought it was dead because it had finally stopped making noise & wiggling so he/she starts eating the pinkys head and a little bit of its body is down & the mouse starts moving again. The snake ate the pinky while it was still alive. Is He/She ok? Can this harm the snake?

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    It will be fine an a mouse pinky is too small by the way.

Thanks
    It more than likely would have suffocated pretty quickly anyway so should be fine.

Thanks

Re: My Petsmart Rescue Swallowed A Live Mouse

Thank you & I realized it was small after feeding it to the snake but I will definitely get something a little bigger next time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    It's not a rescue when you buy it from PetSmart. It's a sale, and a resupply order.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Greensleeves001 (06-27-2016),Sonny1318 (06-26-2016)

Thanks

I know people have the best intentions when they buy sickly looking animals from pet stores, but all they are doing is supporting them and allowing them to bring in more.

This doesn't apply to just chain stores either. There are a few mom and pop pet stores I've personally blacklisted because of the conditions. I refuse to spend a dime there because I refuse to support neglect and abuse.

Glad you got it to eat, hopefully it will take down a bigger meal for you next time.

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY 2 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tash For This Useful Post:

Greensleeves001 (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    Honestly, all the person asked for was if their snake is going to be okay, they don't need all the pet store backlash. Posting 'oh it's not a rescue' everytime you see the word PetSmart isn't doing anything. To me if the person is giving the animal better living conditions, I label it as a rescue, no matter if money was involved. You see people 'rescue' dogs from shelters everyday and chances are they paid an adoption fee. Does that mean it isn't a rescue? No.

Bashing people from getting their snake from PetSmart isn't doing a thing, the animal is already purchased.

Good luck with your BP though, would love to see pics^^
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (06-25-2016),distaff (06-26-2016),Fraido (06-27-2016),Greensleeves001 (06-27-2016),Scottywelsh (06-26-2016),Vonnie (06-25-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    Honestly, all the person asked for was if their snake is going to be okay, they don't need all the pet store backlash. Posting 'oh it's not a rescue' everytime you see the word PetSmart isn't doing anything. To me if the person is giving the animal better living conditions, I label it as a rescue, no matter if money was involved. You see people 'rescue' dogs from shelters everyday and chances are they paid an adoption fee. Does that mean it isn't a rescue? No.

Bashing people from getting their snake from PetSmart isn't doing a thing, the animal is already purchased.

Good luck with your BP though, would love to see pics^^
    thank you & I will definitely post some pictures when I get the chance to

Thanks
    As I recall, food items should be about as big as the thickest part of the snake, or alternatively 10-15% of the snake's weight - that should give you a fair idea of what size food your snake should be eating! Mouse pinkies are much too small, and rat pinkies probably are as well. Even my smallest BP was able to take a small adult mouse with no problem - and they grow fast, once they're eating regularly!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

Greensleeves001 (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    I know a lot of people say it's not a rescue or that it's still supporting the store. But I got the snake because my only intentions were to help it & I decided after I get the other one I'm not going back ever again. I literally left the petsmart crying (although I'm the type of person who cries when someone steps on bugs) anyway, because I was so frustrated & upset the dude wouldn't even answer any of my questions about the snakes and when he did answer them he would say idk. But he claims the only reason he works there is for the animals. I got one snake & my sister told me she is going to get me the other one by Monday for my birthday which is Thursday. I put 2 other snakes I wanted on hold, just to get these 2 from petsmart and try to help them. I'm so happy the one I have ate for me. They may not technically be "rescues" but I believe I'm saving them.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vonnie For This Useful Post:

Greensleeves001 (06-27-2016),Scottywelsh (06-26-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast