Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

1 members and 3,238 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Buying AP T8/T10 next week - need help with additional features

Hey All!,

So getting my first BP has been a slow process for me, but have spent a lot of time reading and lurking and next week I'm going to finally pull the trigger on the cage, which is rather important so I want to make sure I get the correct additional features. I'm still undecided on which to get between the T8 and T10, I know the only difference is the height.

Going with Sliding Glass Doors and of course getting locks for it.
    Flexwatt - Should I go with this or go with an after market heating pad? I plan to use a decent amount of substrate so not sure if the Flexwatt that comes with the T8/T10 will be good enough.
    White Fluorescent Fixture - Is there a better way to get lighting for the tank or is this a rather good option?
    8" Stand - Anyone get/use one of these? I don't have stand but was thinking of going on Craiglist and seeing what I could find.
    For an AP cage, will Flexwatt/UTH be enough or should I look into radiant heat panels as well?

Thanks

- Oh and if you have any other thoughts on the T8/T10 that I didn't ask about please feel free to post it. Want to make sure I do things right the first time around as I want my first snake to be as stress-free as possible (I will worry regardless as I've never had a snake before but that's why these forums are fantastic!).

Thanks
    I have two T8. My one doesn't have heat at all but that's only because it has a black milk in it. My other one has flexwatt but I haven't actually turned it on yet (no snake in that cage at the moment). The more height the less likely the flexwatt will have the ability to raise ambient temps any. Plus, if you are using substrate like coco mulch or some such it can be harder for heat to get through it if you have a decent amount of it in there...room temps would also play into the decision of what type of heat element you want to use. You could always pick up a RHP if you wanted or found the flexwatt isn't enough. If you get the flexwatt then I wouldn't have it sitting directly on the ground. I plan to use RHP with any enclosure that is in the bottom of my stacks so I don't have to waste possible cage space on the stands.

I don't use the white fixtures since I never remember to turn them on anyway. I just have the white cages and enough windows in my room that they get bright enough. But if you are going for a display type look then the white fixtures usually make it look nicer to me.
    4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 6.7 Corns, 1.2.1 Ball Python, 2.1 Tarahumara Boa, 5.14 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 1.2 Retics, 0.1 Wolf Snake, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 0.1 False Water Cobra, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse

Thanks
    Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,692 Posts

Re: Buying AP T8/T10 next week - need help with additional features

All things considered I'd go with the RHP as a heat source and the red LED light strips for night viewing. I have (4) T8's with the sliding glass doors and will be ordering a T12 or two in the very near future. I like that the T8 is a quick ship item. The 10-12 week delay for the T10 or T12 is a little disappointing but I need the extra vertical space for my carpets.

Thanks

Couple feedings is no big deal. My male will go off for 8-9 months then power eat for 3 or 4. Just keep offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

Also I somehow left that comment on the wrong thread. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up, I think I"ll be going with a T8 because it's a quick ship item (thanks for the heads up on that).

Thanks

I agree that you should go with an rhp for heating. They heat both sides of cage so you don't really need to worry about the cool side dropping to low on cold nights. If your getting a younger bp you will want the divider that animal plastics offers, a full t8 is much to big for a younger snake IMO. The divider is able to be moved little by little as the snake grows. If you decide to go with a rhp a 40w from reptile basics is usually good with a divider or an 80w if your not using a divider. You could also go with pro products rhp and they would tell you exactly what to order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Registered User SiXandSeven8ths's Avatar
    Thanks

And by quick ship it could still be 10-12 weeks. I've been waiting for mine for 10 weeks now. I'm hoping for it to ship out this week, but we'll see. I opted for red LEDs, the flexwatt, and I'm having an RHP from Pro Products installed as well (as the general consensus about heat is very conflicting).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualoon View Post
    Hey All!,

White Fluorescent Fixture - Is there a better way to get lighting for the tank or is this a rather good option?
    I used to use red lighting for night viewing. However, it's hard for humans to see in red light. Your best bet for viewing that won't disturb your snake is go w/blue lighting provided it isn't too bright. Some people do this successfully with LED setups. It's not expensive at all.
    Last edited by viper69; 07-01-2016 at 11:37 PM.