Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

2 members and 3,234 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Baby ball python husbandry/pet store rescue

Hi guys, new here and new to ball python care
    Recently bought a baby 70g ball python from a Petco and then after reading up on them I realized my mistake of buying from a pet store. I've had my baby for about 6 days and he has yet to eat for me, and the pet store said he did not eat for them. I have been uaing frozen thawed pinkies every two days, today am going to try a live fuzzy. Any tips or help to offer? This is my first snake

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Start here and fix all husbandry first: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-Hatchling-101

At 70 grams that snake may have only eaten once or twice in its life and probably never f/t.
    After getting husbandry fixed leave it alone for several days and then try a live hopper mouse.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-28-2016),amfedor12 (06-20-2016),GoingPostal (06-21-2016),LittleTreeGuy (06-20-2016),O'Mathghamhna (06-21-2016),PokeyTheNinja (07-21-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (06-20-2016)

Thanks
    ^^^^ Exactly what Pit said!
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Re: Baby ball python husbandry/pet store rescue

What are you using as a heat device? Are you using a thermostat, rheostat or dimmer to regulate the heat device? What are you using to take your temps? What are you using for humidity and what is your humidity level? What kind of hides are you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Start here and fix all husbandry first: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-Hatchling-101

At 70 grams that snake may have only eaten once or twice in its life and probably never f/t.
    After getting husbandry fixed leave it alone for several days and then try a live hopper mouse.

Here is a picture for reference I've had him out a couple times for short periods he seems curious but still skittish, bought a plastic tub today to leave him in

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    What are you using as a heat device? Are you using a thermostat, rheostat or dimmer to regulate the heat device? What are you using to take your temps? What are you using for humidity and what is your humidity level? What kind of hides are you using?

Here is the new enclosure,the aspen substrate is about 1/2 inch thick, right now I am just using a heating pad set on low until my rheostat comes in then will be using a zoomed uth. The hide is a cave that came with a larger enclosure starter kit from the pet store. He/she seemed to like that one more so I used that. Baby has been moved around a lot trying to make things just right for him/her how long should i wait to try to feed?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Those gauges are crapo. I would return them if I were you. Heating pad? The ones for humans? If so, really bad idea. You are courting a burn. If the ambient temp is anywhere close to 83 it is better to have no heat source than an unregulated heating pad for a human or a reptile. Wait one week after a refusal to try again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (06-20-2016)

Thanks

Unplug that heat pad immediately!!! Go to amazon and order q acurite 00891 thermometer/hygrometer and a inkbird itc-308 thermostat or a JumpStart or hydrofarm. Then go to Lowes and get a lutron lamp dimmer until you get a thermostat and then take back the lamp dimmer. A rheostat is just like a dimmer so it won't automatically adjust to room temp like a thermostat will. You can use it but make sure you have the correct thermometer or temp gun to take your temps the right way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AntTheDestroyer View Post
    Whoa this got intense fast. I think Chrid has some good advice about the equipment needed. I think instead of buying and returning the dimmer, I would probably just unplug the heater till the thermostat arrived. As it is summer the animal should be just fine for the two days Amazon takes to ship. A note on the ink bird, though they work well for me they do take a bit of wiring. If you are not comfortable with wiring diagrams I would suggest the other option.
    The inkbird itc-308 is a prewired model ready to use, at least I'm pretty sure, I could be wrong. Guy I work with has one and it doesn't look like someone wired, I'll have to ask him.

Just double checked online. The itc-308 is prewired.

Last edited by chrid16371; 06-20-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    I didn't realize I could do that with the dimmers, thought I had them laying around for no reason except for maybe if my thermostats failed and then my back ups failed. I'll put them to use then just in case. I have Herpstats and VE thermostats so failing probably isn't likely but better safe than sorry. Thanks.
    VE's are known for failing wide open. I know several people who have lost racks of snakes to them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast