Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,409

3 members and 2,406 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Appropriate Size for skinny BP

I posted earlier this week after bringing home a 55g baby from petsmart Tuesday. He immediately ate a hopper mouse after getting him in a hide and warmed up. I fed him a fuzzy yesterday because it was 12 percent of his weight and I don't want to put too much stress on his digestion after not eating for six weeks, but he is still looking for food. When I opened the bin to change the water today he was sitting with his head poking out of the hide, and was tracking me as I put the fresh water in. I don't know him well enough yet to know if he is just curious, or if he is still hungry and I should have just given him a hopper.

I just want to be sure I give him the right size. The fuzzy was the same width around as his widest part and it is 12 percent of his weight, so by rule of thumb it is perfect. But he shouldn't be that small. i haven't weighed him again as I don't want to take him out unless it's absolutely necessary (like changing paper towels when he peed the other day).

I guess my question is, do I stick with the fuzzies that are his size/weight ratio until he gains weight back, and then move to hoppers? his thickest part is about the size of my pinky. I know Im probably overthinking this because he is otherwise healthy and alert and drinking and active, temps/humidity are spot-on (I have him next to my desk and literally glance at the thermometer/hygrometer readout every few minutes LOL)

Thanks!][/IMG]Hi,

The black box has a hole in the top with another two hides inside, and he spends most of the day in the hide on the warm side. I figured since he is extra small he would like the extra security so it's dark and enclosed, but he can come out if he wants to. I also put a little lid with water in the box so he doesn't have to come out for water, and also to help with humidity in the box.
    Last edited by normandcass; 06-19-2016 at 02:38 PM. Reason: PIcture

Thanks
    Stick with the size that works in the ratio - you don't want to stress his system out by dumping a lot of food into it after starvation - but feed at every 5 days or so instead of 7. A little more frequently, basically.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The appropriate size will not be a number it will be an overall shape, as in plump not triangular shape which will be achieve with every 5 to 7 day feeding, feeding the appropriate size prey (= the girth size), at 55 grams we are talking about hopper mice (2 weeks old eyes open and hopping around)

Don't feed too often or too much in animals that have been neglected, starved, severely underfed it can be dangerous (not saying that this is what happened here) it could simply be an animal that just hatched.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    OK thanks!

yeah he didn't eat during the six weeks he was at the pet store according to their records, and I don't have info on how old he is or if he ate before that. When I brought him home his skin was all saggy and now he's plumped up a bit but still too skinny.

He has a really good feeding response...I dangle the mouse down in the hole and he grabs it in seconds lol I think he just felt too exposed at the pet store with the bright lights and no belly heat, so he didn't eat.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Appropriate Size for skinny BP

So long he is eating for you and you are feeding the right size prey he will bounce back in no time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart