Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,461

0 members and 2,461 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

BP not eating...??

I've had my lesser bp for 2yrs now. He's in an AP cage with paper towels as substrate at the moment (tried cypress and it became too humid in his tank, to the point of condensation on the doors). His hot side is at 92F, cool side is 78F, humidity sits around 60-65%. He's now going on 3wks of refusing food and hasn't shown any signs of shedding so I'm at a loss. His tank is in a room that previously wasn't used as frequently. About 6wks ago we moved things around in our house and that room became more of a family room where the kids go to play and such. I did wait a week after moving his tank around (in the same room just different location) before offering food, he took 1 mouse to his usual 4/5 and has refused since then. Could it be he's stressed with the room being more active or something else I'm not picking up on? Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: BP not eating...??

Don't fret! It's not uncommon for BPs to go off feed. If there's commotion throughout the room at the same time as your BP is being offered food, then he may indeed be too worried to take it. On his next feeding day try offering him food at night (BPs are nocturnal) when the room is more calm. If he doesn't strike at it then just set it in his enclosure overnight. If you can, find a towel or something to block the glass and give him more seclusion. Be sure to check in the morning! Trust me, you don't want to forget about the mouse or you'll be dealing with some aweful smell.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StephenT For This Useful Post:

Kjewell89 (06-19-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3 weeks is nothing.

You want a BP feeding with consistency feed smaller preys or less of them, 4 or 5 adult mice for a male are too many, a male does not need more than the equivalent of 55/75 grams of food per week even than it is still more than they would get in the wild.

BP in captivity are overfed and will fast to catch up, can be a month, 2 or 12
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Kjewell89 (06-19-2016)