Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

0 members and 3,178 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Question rotate the males or the females?

I currently have a setup where I have 2 male mice and rotate them every other other week to a different female bin. is there a better system if I am trying to get 50 + feeders a week? thank you.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because I am not a fan of back to back breeding which I have found affected the size of the litters and growth rate of the babies, I rotate my animals.

All males rotate between 3 tubs (containing 3 females each) and they spend 2 weeks in each tubs.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Freakzter (06-15-2016)

Thanks

Re: rotate the males or the females?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Because I am not a fan of back to back breeding which I have found affected the size of the litters and growth rate of the babies, I rotate my animals.

All males rotate between 3 tubs (containing 3 females each) and they spend 2 weeks in each tubs.

is this correct?

unfortunately your system seems geared towards producing pinkies. it has the male return to the cage before the pups are fully weaned, I need adult mice.

would you use this same system for rats? I have those too and do not need them full grown.

thanks for any input.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freakzter View Post
    is this correct?

unfortunately your system seems geared towards producing pinkies. it has the male return to the cage before the pups are fully weaned, I need adult mice.

would you use this same system for rats? I have those too and do not need them full grown.

thanks for any input.
    Usually females become pregnant a lot fast in the first 5 days usually so you can produce hoppers which is what I mainly need and breed for, you basically need an extra week or so, so by the time the male returns the babies are 3 weeks old and can be weaned and placed in grow-out tubs.

You can do 3 weeks at the time per tubs or you can rotate between 4 tubs doing 2 weeks at the time.

For rats my system is VERY different, I rotate females, I have tubs setup with males and each week I had a new female in the tub, once a female is visibly pregnant she goes in a individual birthing tub until her babies are 5 to 7 days old at which time she goes in a communal tub (3 females / tub)

I produce a few thousand of feeder each year but the main breeding remains rat, mice need is more of a seasonal thing to start hatchling around baby season.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

if I understood you right, this would be my schedule if I wanted fully weaned mice?

I'm not sure why but I imagined I needed way more cages than 3 or 4. will this setup produce around 50 mice per week?

as for setting up a rat rotation, I'm not grasping your concept. I guess I'm a visual person and struggle with descriptions. how many male tubs should I start out with? I would like to produce about 25 rats per month. do you add a random female every week, or do you somehow keep track of who needs to be bred next? do you remove her after a week, or when she becomes visibly pregnant? is it always only 1 female with the male, or more? is she moved to the communal tub with her babies? sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any help in trying to understand your system.

Thanks

this is my setup

my current setup is complete, i feel. the first 8 cages, A-H are my mice breeder bins, currently with 2 females each. 2 males get rotated alternatively every week. 9th cage has my replacement male. the final two bins are for rats.

my plan is to eventually have at least 4 breeders per cage, and produce 50+ mice per week (46 for my ferrets, 2 for my snakes, 2 for my arachs).
    | 2.1 ferrets | 0.2 corn snakes | 0.0.1 chaco golden knee tarantula | 1.0 columbian redtail boa | 1.0 malaysian forest scorpion | 1.0 carpet python | 0.0.1 ground skink | 1.0 bull snake | 0.1 giant asian mantis | 1.0 bearded dragon | 0.0.1 mediterranean gecko | 2.20 mice | 1.4 rats | 0.0.8 death's head roaches | 0.0.100+ crickets |