Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

4 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Risky Business

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Risky Business

I'm pushing my luck a bit on this one, but play big or go home. I got this normal 6 year old female virgin, well she was, just for this project and I have isolated her and the other animals involved because they are all new. But who would have thought my luck would be this good so far. I wouldn't have bet on this in a million years. I know my normal girl looks a little rough. She is in shed and I think she may not have had the best of lives before I got her. She's a little scared up but has the disposition of a kitten. Anyway, her boyfriend arrived at my office today in fine shape courtesy of Gulf Coast Exotics and FedEx. I took him home at lunch. Gave him a just in case mite treatment and in he went. I was sent this picture at 3PM today. My quest for a Super Gravel begins. Unless I find the gravel female I am looking for it will be awhile but this is a start.

Thanks

Thumbs down

So you completely skipped quarantine ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Yodawagon For This Useful Post:

eveningdahlia (06-14-2016)

Thanks

Re: Risky Business

Like he said.. go big or go home.. Either both make it.. or both die..

He takes all the risk.. he takes all the reward. As long as those two are quarantined from the rest...
    0.1 Wifey
    0.1 Brindle Boxers (Harley-RIP , Bella)
    0.2 Rott mix (Kali, the Goddess of Destruction.. aptly named, and our newest addition Xena)
    1.0 Normal BP (Beetlejuice)
    0.1 Super Pastel BP (Lydia)

If you are gonna be stupid, you darn well better be tough.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doggtyred For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (06-15-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yodawagon View Post
    So you completely skipped quarantine ?
    I have the four animals involved in this project quarantined together. They are all animals that have arrived in the last two months. I do not know how everyone else quarantines however I bring in new animals over the summer and they get quarantined together. There are only so many rooms and so many racks. I usually start in november but this boy was breeding before he came here and has already been off food for sometime. I deemed it acceptable risk and appropriate to breed him now and then get him back on food. I am quite sure that there are others that have rolled the dice in a similar fashion.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 06-15-2016 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doggtyred View Post
    Like he said.. go big or go home.. Either both make it.. or both die..

He takes all the risk.. he takes all the reward. As long as those two are quarantined from the rest...
    No . . . As pointed out in the second sentence of the quote, the animals are taking all the risk. If they die, that's their lives. The OP is just out some money. He'll still be alive. I feel like I worded that really harshly, and for that, I apologize. For some reason this thread made me think of a thread from years ago on another forum, when a gal lost essentially her entire collection to paramyxovirus. (I think there was one survivor?)

That said, yeah, there are folks who breed animals in QT.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I have the four animals involved in this project quarantined together. They are all animals that have arrived in the last two months. I do not know how everyone else quarantines however I bring in new animals over the summer and they get quarantined together. There are only so many rooms and so many racks. I usually start in november but this boy was breeding before he came here and has already been off food for sometime. I deemed it acceptable risk and appropriate to breed him now and then get him back on food. I am quite sure that there are others that have rolled the dice in a similar fashion.
    This is what I assumed and was going to mention my assumption, but I decided otherwise because I wasn't sure. Good luck, that's a pretty boy.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (06-15-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    This is what I assumed and was going to mention my assumption, but I decided otherwise because I wasn't sure. Good luck, that's a pretty boy.
    Thank you. Yeah, I think he is a good looking animal. I'd like to take credit but my wife is the one that handled this deal. I personally never liked highways until I had this boy in hand and in good light. They are more impressive in person than in pictures.

On another note, for those that think I am taking the risk with this pairing for some quick money are a little confused because I will not be able to sell any of the offspring from this generation. As of yet, no one can visually tell the difference between a gravel and a yellowbelly. We are probably talking around four years before I see a dime and I am sure the prices will drop considerably in that time.