Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

1 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Meet Maynard! + cooling question

Hi everyone! I guess I'm the new girl here so let me introduce myself.

I'm Christin, this is Maynard. He's a 900g+ male lesser bee. I got him from a small, local hobby breeder as part of his downsize and he's as healthy as can be. Although he's new to me, I'm not new to bp's; I was a surrogate snake mom for 4 years for my friends normal while she was at college. She took him back a few weeks ago and I was already itching to fill the void when I saw Maynard. Problem solved!

Now for my issue- I've got his husbandry all dialed in up until now: hot side/cool side, 2 hides, water, thermostat/hygrometer, etc. His warm side hovers around 84, his cool side 79, humidity is 60%+/- consistently. But I live in Caifornia where it can get HOT and next week is supposed to be one of those weeks. I'm talking 105+. Maynard lives upstairs in our spare bedroom which is north facing with 1 window so it stays pretty cool compared to our south facing bedroom with a huge patio door. Yesterday it was only 92, but I noticed during the peak afternoon heat that the ambient temp in his tank was pushing 90. I kept it in check with a spritz of ice water which would bring the temp down 5~ degrees for about 20 minutes but then it would climb right back up. Obviously I'm not going to stick an ice pack in his tank but I was wondering about a damp towel over the top with ice cubes on top of the towel? I'm definitely open to suggestions though. We do have a/c but it struggles to keep the upstairs cool (which is where he is) especially in the afternoon. Moving him downstairs is not preferable because of my human baby that rules the roost down there and I don't think he'd appreciate hearing her shriek and pound on his glass all day.

So- any and all suggestions are welcome!! I'd like to be prepared if I need to buy something before it gets Satan's-butthole hot next week ahahaha.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    What are you using to heat his enclosure and how are you regulating it?
    Sounds like you are taking just ambient temperatures.
    What are you using to take your temps?

Thanks

Re: Meet Maynard! + cooling question

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    What are you using to heat his enclosure and how are you regulating it?
    Sounds like you are taking just ambient temperatures.
    What are you using to take your temps?
    UTH on warm side regulated with thermostat between heater and glass, laser temp gun to measure temps. I also have a thermometer in the middle. I have an infrared bulb/separate thermostat for when things start to cool down, but I don't feel it's needed right now so it's not even plugged in. The thermometer was reading 90, the temp gun when pointed at various items was reading between 88 and 90. I sat in the corner and observed for about 30 minutes to see if the UTH thermostat cycled on, but it didn't. I was specifically referencing ambient temps, but only because it was the most obvious indicator that things were getting warm.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Sounds like you may not even need to run a heat source

Thanks

Re: Meet Maynard! + cooling question

During the afternoon heat spike, no heat source was actively running. My concern is for next week when it's supposed to get even hotter...