Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

2 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Baby crestie question

Are teeny tiny hatchlings supposed to have barely visible ribs? I got a youngun the other day and I have been monitoring her closely and it doesnt look like shes eaten anything. I just held her and hand fed her a tiny bit of dry powdered crestie food. I have her in a small exo terra, not sure if thats too big for her right now.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Registered User butterballpython's Avatar
    Thanks
    She's not likely to eat the dry powdered crestie food. You're supposed to mix it with water until it's about the consistency of a milkshake, then put it in a little container for her to eat. I use the caps from bottled water, because they don't sell dishes small enough for crestie hatchlings. The exo terra is a bit large for her at that size. I keep my baby cresties in kritter keepers until they're big enough to go into a larger enclosure. If the enclosure is too large, she will not be likely to find her food and might starve. It's best not to handle her for at least the first two weeks until she's more comfortable and feels it's safe to eat. I know it's tempting to hold her, but it's best not to stress her with handling too soon. Just remember to maintain her humidity cycle and keep her at temps between 65 and 82 F, and she should do OK for you. She needs a small hide to feel safe. Her tummy is only about the size of her eyeball, so you might not notice any food missing at first. If you see droppings, you'll know she's eating.
    1.0 bp butter "Brickle" the friendly explorer
    0.1 bp champagne "Bubbles" the shy one
    0.1 bp normal "Callista" the little one

3. The Following User Says Thank You to butterballpython For This Useful Post:

ashleymarie (06-12-2016)

Thanks
    From your picture, your crestie appears to be at a good weight. It's not uncommon to see their ribs, especially when they're curved a bit, but they should not be prominent and the cresties should not appear thin. Hatchlings have a tendency to grow a bit and appear a little thin, then put on weight as they grow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to butterballpython For This Useful Post:

ashleymarie (06-12-2016)

Thanks

Re: Baby crestie question

Thank you!! I am a first time geck mom so i got nervous when she didnt move for quite a few hours. I was worried she was dead. x_x i did more reading though. I appreciate your response!

Thanks

Re: Baby crestie question

Quote Originally Posted by ashleymarie View Post
    Thank you!! I am a first time geck mom so i got nervous when she didnt move for quite a few hours. I was worried she was dead. x_x i did more reading though. I appreciate your response!

No problem. If your crestie finds a comfortable spot, she might even decide to stay there for days. One of my girls in on her fifth day clinging to the side of the lay box, and she's just fine. She moves to eat (the only way I know is some food is missing), then goes right back to the exact same spot.

Welcome to the addiction. Cresties are like potato chips--you can't stop at just one!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to butterballpython For This Useful Post:

ashleymarie (06-12-2016)