Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

4 members and 3,121 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Probably My Last Question About Setups - HUMIDITY QUESTION

Hi, so since it's starting to get rather hot in the UK, it's also getting very humid and inside the tub on the cool end, I've been getting humidity levels as high as 77%, I've let the fan run at full blast for a while and the humidity went down to 74%. I don't know if that's 'too high' or not... but, since I don't have the snake yet, I simulated my snake spilling his water dish just outside of the cool hide so the aspen got pretty damp and the humidity just spiked like crazy ( THINK AS HIGH AS 99%!!!) but in the hot end the humidity did sit around 62-66% which I know is totally fine. The temperatures are perfect, so that's nothing to worry about.

I don't know if it's maybe because the probe might have gotten a little damp from it sitting on the aspen but it seemed to be sitting on dry aspen though it was relatively close to the spillage, that might have been why it jumped so high... When I woke up in the morning there was a small amount of condensation on the roof of the tub so I melted two holes where the misting occurred... so I guess my questions are, are my humidity levels too high? After a spillage, is the humidity spike in that area safe? With no spillages like I've said I get humidity levels at this time of year 74-77% in the cold end and 62-66% in the hot end inside the hide.
    Last edited by Seviper; 06-09-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    Our area has 87% humidity outside and will be in the 70s and 80s all week is that why my tub is also so humid? Sorry I know I've been a pain in the butt with all of these questions but I swear this is the last. Temps set up - perfect. Puzzle solved. I just want to know if 77% humidity in the cold hide in and mid 60s in the hot hide is okay! And the humidity spikes from spillages ( though I guess 99% is overkill and maybe the probe was touching damp aspen which I didn't see, hehe ), my baby BP will be okay? Gosh I feel like a mother having her first child, overthinking like crazy

Thanks
    I'm having the same problem. While it's been rather humid/wet/rainy lately, indoors it says its a comfy 50% all the time.
    We made a custom lid for the snake's home to put on a glass tank to keep the humidity in (as most seem to have problems with that in glass) but my humidity is in the 80s and 90s. :/ I don't have a snake in it yet, I'm just trying to set it up first. The lid is FULL of holes! But alas, 80-99 is way too high v_v it goes down to 60-70 if I keep one side of the lid open, so I'm thinking I'll put a mesh/screen on the back lid section for more air.... unless there is a better option.
    1.0 Ball Python - Belial - Orange Dream. (Birthday: February, 2016 , Homeday June 11, 2016)
    0.1 Axolotl - Emmy - Albino, love to chase wiggling fingers! (Birthday: January 2016, Homeday: May 15, 2016)
    1.0 Cat - Cedric - Black ragamuffin, the most perfect cat ever - loves to cuddle. (Birthday: May 26, 2014, Homeday: September 13, 2014)
    0.2 Ferrets - Salt and Pepper - Light Silver Point, Sable Point, sisters of the same litter. (Birthday: February 2013 , Homeday: April 26, 2013)
    *Ferrets are under my mothers care, as her girlfriend got too attached*

Thanks

Re: Probably My Last Question About Setups - HUMIDITY QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by Moosefriend View Post
    I'm having the same problem. While it's been rather humid/wet/rainy lately, indoors it says its a comfy 50% all the time.
    We made a custom lid for the snake's home to put on a glass tank to keep the humidity in (as most seem to have problems with that in glass) but my humidity is in the 80s and 90s. :/ I don't have a snake in it yet, I'm just trying to set it up first. The lid is FULL of holes! But alas, 80-99 is way too high v_v it goes down to 60-70 if I keep one side of the lid open, so I'm thinking I'll put a mesh/screen on the back lid section for more air.... unless there is a better option.
    Would you happen to be using eco-earth that is still in its rich dark brown state?

Thanks
    I'm using the cypress mulch from zoo-med, but I had baked it all (which took forever) to dry it out and kill any bugs that may be in it. Is there anything I could mix in it, to use less, so it'll be drier?

Edit: I know it's not recommended, but could I replace some with sand or small , finely chopped rocks (I don't consider it gravel, its a bit chunkier)?
    Last edited by Moosefriend; 06-10-2016 at 01:25 AM.
    1.0 Ball Python - Belial - Orange Dream. (Birthday: February, 2016 , Homeday June 11, 2016)
    0.1 Axolotl - Emmy - Albino, love to chase wiggling fingers! (Birthday: January 2016, Homeday: May 15, 2016)
    1.0 Cat - Cedric - Black ragamuffin, the most perfect cat ever - loves to cuddle. (Birthday: May 26, 2014, Homeday: September 13, 2014)
    0.2 Ferrets - Salt and Pepper - Light Silver Point, Sable Point, sisters of the same litter. (Birthday: February 2013 , Homeday: April 26, 2013)

Thanks
    No sand, risk of impaction. I dont have any experience with cypress, but that amount of humidity can only be coming from your substrate.

Thanks
    I was using aspen and I woke up this morning and found the humidity at 87%... if it's not one thing, it's another!

Thanks
    I cannot edit my last message but innately the room has 66% humidity just because of how humid my area is hence why inside the tub the humidity built up as high as 87%... outdoors the current humidity is a whopping 89%! 89! No wonder I cannot get the humidity down. It's going to be like this all week.
    Last edited by Seviper; 06-10-2016 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks
    I called my breeder and he said to just try switching from aspen to paper towels and that got my humidity down in the cool side to 72-74% in the cool hide and 62% in the hot hide that seems to have fixed the problem so if anyone else is getting excessive humidity then try absorbent paper towels! : )

Thanks
    When I open one side of the lid (middle hinge) the humidity drops to 63%. So we're going to get mesh to replace the back part of the lid and hope it works.

I thought aspen was already super dry though :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast