Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

0 members and 3,169 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Please Help! My ZooMed Terrarium is too cold:(

Hi everyone,

I bought the 20 Gallon ZooMed Snake Starterkit and this ball python 7 days ago (I have never had a pet before).

The terrarium is too cold! Cold side: 76F, Hot side:82.8F (UTH HeatPad RH-4 mounted underneath the right side).

And I think because of that, my bp is make whistling sound when breathing.

Right now, I am considering getting the ZooMed Repti Heat Cave™ and put it on top of my heat pad.
    I don't know if it is too small for my bp though, if it is too small then ReptiCare Rock Heater? [The Q&A says no heat rock but the website says it's ok for snake so I am not sure.]
    But I can't think of any other idea to bring up the hot side (Besides mounting an additional heat pad on the side.)
    What do you guys think about this? Would it be too hot or "dangerous"?

And I don't know what to do with the cold side in order to bring the temp up

This is my tank:

And this is my bp and it's getting sick because of the temperature I guess
    Last edited by MercedesBenz; 06-09-2016 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Please Help! My ZooMed Terrarium is too cold:(

First things first. How (what piece of equipment) and where (take a picture or describe) are you measuring the temperatures you're talking about.

Second - do NOT spend any more money on heating devices until you answer the first question.

The reason this is so important is because I highly doubt it's a case of being too cold and I don't want to see your new guy end up getting burned.

EDIT: If nothing else, this should be your next purchase: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...I7czoxOiIwIjt9. Then we can talk about where to go once we know where we're at.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 06-09-2016 at 02:01 AM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-10-2016),STjepkes (06-09-2016),Terminal (06-09-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    First things first. How (what piece of equipment) and where (take a picture or describe) are you measuring the temperatures you're talking about.

Second - do NOT spend any more money on heating devices until you answer the first question.

The reason this is so important is because I highly doubt it's a case of being too cold and I don't want to see your new guy end up getting burned.

EDIT: If nothing else, this should be your next purchase: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...I7czoxOiIwIjt9. Then we can talk about where to go once we know where we're at.

Layout:

1) The prob:

2) digital temperature gauge

3)hot analog

4) Cold analog
    Last edited by MercedesBenz; 06-09-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Your cool side temps look fine to me. Since you are providing a hot spot, mid-70s are as low as I feel comfortable with, and it looks like that's where you're at.

With your warm side analog and probe reading at least 80 where they are placed right now, I'm almost 100% positive that the temperature on the glass right above the heat pad is well above that. See if you can move the probe to under the substrate as close to in contact with the glass directly above the heat pad as you can. It's not the best solution, as your snake will move it around, but it will give you a better idea of the actual warm side hot spot temperature. That's where the infrared thermometer comes in - you can just slide the substrate aside, aim it at the glass, and know your hot spot temp in an instant without having a probe in the tank at all.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

MercedesBenz (06-10-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Your cool side temps look fine to me. Since you are providing a hot spot, mid-70s are as low as I feel comfortable with, and it looks like that's where you're at.

With your warm side analog and probe reading at least 80 where they are placed right now, I'm almost 100% positive that the temperature on the glass right above the heat pad is well above that. See if you can move the probe to under the substrate as close to in contact with the glass directly above the heat pad as you can. It's not the best solution, as your snake will move it around, but it will give you a better idea of the actual warm side hot spot temperature. That's where the infrared thermometer comes in - you can just slide the substrate aside, aim it at the glass, and know your hot spot temp in an instant without having a probe in the tank at all.
    Thanks, I will check the temp later tmr and update it here

What about the occasional wheezing sound tho? Should I be worried and take it to a vet for RI?
    Wheezing sound usually happen when I am handling her tho. However, I have heard her sneezed one or twice.

Thanks

Do you have a thermostat or something to regulate your uth? You should ditch those analog thermometer/hygrometer, they are very inaccurate. Get a acurite 00891, it has a probe for the hot side and you can put the whole unit on the cool side for cool temp and humidity. They are $12 on amazon and some Walmarts carry them. Also when you move your current thermometer probe set it under your substrate on top of glass where the middle of heat mat is. I have a 4 of those yellow thermometers and mine are all off 2-4 degrees hot or cold so I highly suggest one of the acurites I mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    Do you have a thermostat or something to regulate your uth? You should ditch those analog thermometer/hygrometer, they are very inaccurate. Get a acurite 00891, it has a probe for the hot side and you can put the whole unit on the cool side for cool temp and humidity. They are $12 on amazon and some Walmarts carry them. Also when you move your current thermometer probe set it under your substrate on top of glass where the middle of heat mat is. I have a 4 of those yellow thermometers and mine are all off 2-4 degrees hot or cold so I highly suggest one of the acurites I mentioned.

I don't have a thermostat but it won't get hot enough that needs to be turn off I think. And I am gonna get a Digital Infrared IR Thermometer to measure the temp.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MercedesBenz View Post
    I don't have a thermostat but it won't get hot enough that needs to be turn off I think. And I am gonna get a Digital Infrared IR Thermometer to measure the temp.
    I have not come across one heat mat that doesn't get to hot, I've used many sizes of many brands. You need something such as a thermostat to regulate the uth. Put your thermometer probe flat under the bedding in middle of uth so probe is touching glass. If it is over 95 then it's to hot. 95 is max for under the bedding. I actually have one of those same heat mats you do that I use for my leopard gecko incubator and they get over 100.

Last edited by chrid16371; 06-09-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    If you look hard enough (not very hard), you'll find plenty of "I didnt think i needed a t-stat, pls help with burn" posts. Don't be one of them, dont risk it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HanabiraAsashi For This Useful Post:

Snoopyslim (06-09-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MercedesBenz View Post
    Thanks, I will check the temp later tmr and update it here

What about the occasional wheezing sound tho? Should I be worried and take it to a vet for RI?
    Wheezing sound usually happen when I am handling her tho. However, I have heard her sneezed one or twice.
    I have never personally dealt with an RI, and would like to hear input from someone who has, but that sounds like it could be something significant. I would also note that sometimes they can make strange noises. Especially during the shed cycle, or soon after due to stuck shed - presumably on the face/nostrils. This can create a strange sound when they breathe.

Also, are you 100% sure the python isn't hissing at you? Sounds like a deliberate exhale. Not like Sssssss.
    Last edited by STjepkes; 06-09-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast