Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,164

1 members and 1,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,581
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: PVC Husbandry (Animal Plastics, Boaphile, Vision Cages)

Quote Originally Posted by jylesa View Post
    Thanks for your responses guys! It's helping me out a ton with the decision making process. I'll poke around and ask if I have any questions on the setup. Thanks again
    I would also consider Constrictors Northwest as well, his Pro-Line. May not be a factor for you, but I move at times, and the idea of having a single welded container does not appeal to me as I believe movers will break it. Constrictors' is a knockdown setup, so gives me piece of mind. I'd also go with glass doors. I use acrylic for other exotics, and while light weight, it does scratch. There are kits you can get to buff out scratches if needed, unsure how well that works though.

Thanks

Not trying to hyjack this thread, I've also been saving up for a AP cage. But my questions may be helpful to future viewers of this thread.

1. I have heard that smaller snakes can wedge their heads between the glass on the sliding doors and get stuck, has anyone heard of this?

2. I know that most people prefer UTH / RHP / heat tape, but I'm old fashioned and love my CHE's and heat bulbs. The AP cages can be customized with 8 inch screen holes presumably for heat lamps, does anyone have these? I want to know if the CHE can sit (in it's dome-hood of course) directly on the screen to like it does on my aquarium. (Basically is it the same kind of wire screen and do the 8 inch holes allow enough room between the heat source and the plastic that no melting/fire will occur - if that is even possible with PVC)
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    Not trying to hyjack this thread, I've also been saving up for a AP cage. But my questions may be helpful to future viewers of this thread.

1. I have heard that smaller snakes can wedge their heads between the glass on the sliding doors and get stuck, has anyone heard of this?

2. I know that most people prefer UTH / RHP / heat tape, but I'm old fashioned and love my CHE's and heat bulbs. The AP cages can be customized with 8 inch screen holes presumably for heat lamps, does anyone have these? I want to know if the CHE can sit (in it's dome-hood of course) directly on the screen to like it does on my aquarium. (Basically is it the same kind of wire screen and do the 8 inch holes allow enough room between the heat source and the plastic that no melting/fire will occur - if that is even possible with PVC)
    My vision cages have a little lip on top and bottom that a snake can fit there whole body in. As soon as I seen my snake in it I just stuffed it with substrate.

You can get the dome cut out for the che, idk if it offers the protection your asking though. I know you said you like che but consider a rhp. You don't need to use heat tape with a rhp. It's just like a big che but is safe to use inside the enclosure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks

No one has mentioned showcase cages. I've always used tubs but just got in two new cages from showcase with glass sliding doors and I love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Hi guys,

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I was re-reading through the messages, and have any of you had any issues with the RHPs failing? Currently, I'm thinking of only getting an RHP (no Flexwatt), but it would be nice to have a backup in the event of a failure. Also, what is the wiring like for it? I just wanted to make sure I get the specs right, and my worries/doubts aside before I decide to make the plunge. Thanks again!

Edit: I am scrolling through the sticky on this topic, but it is taking a bit so I apologize if you guys have answered questions that are on there already
    Last edited by jylesa; 07-25-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks
    Whoops, I thought of something else and it won't let me make edits to my message. Would I be able to use a UTH instead of Flexwatt heat tape or is this type of cage only compatible with the Flexwatt?

Thanks

Whoops, I thought of something else and it won't let me make edits to my message. Would I be able to use a UTH instead of Flexwatt heat tape or is this type of cage only compatible with the Flexwatt?

I currently have a T8 setup with an RHP in the enclosure, mounted to the ceiling and heat tape mounted to the bottom outside of the enclosure. Both run on a Herpstat II thermostat. I have played around with both heat sources. Here is what I have found....

1. The RHP is awesome. If you go with a divider for whatever reason in a T8, two 40w RHP's are great. If you don't use the divider, one 80w will work. I've had mine about a year with no issues.

2. Heat tape alone would be disappointing. I found that in my house (usually around 68 degrees F), my 24"x12" heat tape has to work pretty hard to keep the surface temp where I want it. This makes sense, as there is a lot of surface area, and the heat tape has to heat through 1/2" of pvc.

3. Like you, I like having a "backup", so I chose to run the RHP and the heat tape. I have heat tape only under the warm side, and I have it set so the surface temp would have to drop to around 85 degrees before it will kick on. My RHP runs about 30% most of the time and keeps the entire cage pretty spot on.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

BPGator (07-25-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    I currently have a T8 setup with an RHP in the enclosure, mounted to the ceiling and heat tape mounted to the bottom outside of the enclosure. Both run on a Herpstat II thermostat. I have played around with both heat sources. Here is what I have found....

1. The RHP is awesome. If you go with a divider for whatever reason in a T8, two 40w RHP's are great. If you don't use the divider, one 80w will work. I've had mine about a year with no issues.

2. Heat tape alone would be disappointing. I found that in my house (usually around 68 degrees F), my 24"x12" heat tape has to work pretty hard to keep the surface temp where I want it. This makes sense, as there is a lot of surface area, and the heat tape has to heat through 1/2" of pvc.

3. Like you, I like having a "backup", so I chose to run the RHP and the heat tape. I have heat tape only under the warm side, and I have it set so the surface temp would have to drop to around 85 degrees before it will kick on. My RHP runs about 30% most of the time and keeps the entire cage pretty spot on.
    I'm looking to get the exact same setup as you (T8 with no divider and my house is kept cool too). Do you bias the placement of your RHP to one side or the other, or is it centered? What are your warm side vs cool side temps and so you take temp readings inside the hides?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,505 Times in 2,693 Posts

I have UTH's on several of my T8s. They work great but I'm planning on switching to RHPs for my carpets.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    I'm looking to get the exact same setup as you (T8 with no divider and my house is kept cool too). Do you bias the placement of your RHP to one side or the other, or is it centered? What are your warm side vs cool side temps and so you take temp readings inside the hides?

I'm using two 40w's, but if I hadn't gotten the divider and just used one 80w, Yes, I would install it off-center. I'd still try to keep a few inches between the edge of the rhp and the side of the enclosure if possible. If I just use RHP heat, I can have one side with these temps:

Warm side - 91/92F inside the hide, 88-90 surface temperature

Cool side - 78F surface/ambient and about 81F inside the hide.

These can be adjusted, and live in a 100+ year old house, so it can fluctuate heat a good bit. The temps in my T8 generally may fluctuate a degree or two, but that's about it. I have one Herpstat probe inside the enclosure for my RHP, I have two accurites (one warm side, and one cool side) and I also use a heat gun to spot check my temps a couple of times a week.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast