Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

1 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New bp not eating (still)

I couldn't find my old thread I made a few weeks ago, but I bought my girl at a reptile show almost a month ago and she still hasn't eaten. I tried warming up the thawed mouse with a hair dryer then offering it to her, but she has no interest in it. I rarely handle her to ensure that she will eat. She just went through a shed last week so humidity is good in her tank (60%) and her tank is 90 on the hot side and about 75-80 on the cool side. I bought her a basic black reptile hidey so she feels safe so I'm not sure what else to do. I called the breeder and he suggested feeding live, but would a adult mouse hurt her? I'm just a little worried since she hasn't eaten in a while.

Thanks
    Try pre killed first and then you may have to try live if she doesn't take it. Just watch carefully when feeding her live food. Keep feeding tongs in hand to stop her getting scratched or bitten if your worried about it.
    I'm assuming she is young because if she's older then a month off food isn't very long really and all you have to do is watch she doesn't loose to much weight.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Try a live fuzzy rat, it can't hurt her, and moves enough to attract her. Wait till you see when she comes out at night then put in the fuzzy and cover her cage for more privacy. Once you get her eating she can be switched back to ft. i know a fuzzy is probubly to small for her but you just want to get her going with as little stress as possible. This is what i would try, but some of the others might have a few ideas, try them till you find one that works. Every snake is different, so what works on one snake might not work with others. good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blue roses For This Useful Post:

meganmarkita15 (06-08-2016)

Thanks

Re: New bp not eating (still)

If it's young try assist feeding so it gets the idea of eating.I had to do that to get him/her to eat at first.There are threads you can look at about assist feeding.Good luck.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LanceM View Post
    If it's young try assist feeding so it gets the idea of eating.I had to do that to get him/her to eat at first.There are threads you can look at about assist feeding.Good luck.
    If the snake was eating before there is no reason to stress it out further by assist feeding it.

My questions are going to be these.

What size enclosure is the animal in?
    What size hide (pics are helpful) are you using?
    Are you presenting the enclosure?

Lets get some pics of your setup and I'm almost 100% sure that its a security issue. Anytime a baby that was eating gets a change of environment and stops eating its almost always a security issue.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    If the snake was eating before there is no reason to stress it out further by assist feeding it.

My questions are going to be these.

What size enclosure is the animal in?
    What size hide (pics are helpful) are you using?
    Are you presenting the enclosure?

Lets get some pics of your setup and I'm almost 100% sure that its a security issue. Anytime a baby that was eating gets a change of environment and stops eating its almost always a security issue.

It's a 20 long tank
    I'm using a medium basic hide
    I wasn't sure what that third one meant

I'm not sure why the picture came out so bad, but I've been feeling like it's a bad set up so I was wondering would a bin rack be better? I saw a few people post their's on this site and I was thinking maybe that would make her feel safer. The towel is also to help with her humidity which is at 60%, I tried to get a picture of the gauge, but the pic came out terrible.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reptilesandpathology View Post
    It's a 20 long tank
    I'm using a medium basic hide
    I wasn't sure what that third one meant

I'm not sure why the picture came out so bad, but I've been feeling like it's a bad set up so I was wondering would a bin rack be better? I saw a few people post their's on this site and I was thinking maybe that would make her feel safer. The towel is also to help with her humidity which is at 60%, I tried to get a picture of the gauge, but the pic came out terrible.
    I just saw the pic. Yea that hide is way to big that's more for an adult male or sub adult female!
    Try a smaller hide Ball Pythons really like a small hide. If the hide doesn't touch them on the back and most of the time the sides it can be to big. Try something low like a small plastic flower pot saucer with a hole cut in it.

Also pre-scenting the tank instead of thawing the rat out in warm water try taking it and putting it in a tuperware container with some holes in the top. Put the rat in the container, top on, and let it thaw naturally inside the tank. Then if you see your snake with its head out of the hide looking interested drop it (the rat) in some warm water for a few minutes and try and offer it. You might need to cover the tank or leave the rodent overnight. Just to kick start things.

These work great for snakes up to about 200-250 grams
    Last edited by Freakie_frog; 06-08-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-08-2016),reptilesandpathology (06-08-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (06-08-2016)

Thanks

[/QUOTE]

Is this picture , sopose to be a hide for the snake ? Ive never seen something like that before .... And they actually feel secure in it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MeganMarkita&SamuelAdrien
    0.1 Beautiful Pastel ~ Elsa
    1.0 Awesome Queen Bee ~ Paulo
    0.1 Blue Nose Pitbull ~ Zoey
    1.1 Beautifully Awesome Children ~ 💕Lexi&Atoen 💕

Thanks

What are you using to heat and are you regulating the temp with a thermostat or something? Do you use a temp gun or digital thermometer with probe? I ask bc I see none of these things in the pic. Also cover the sides and back with black construction paper or something so it's not so wide open. Is that a reptile basics medium hide? If so and if it's to big you can stuff moss in it to make it smaller and more snug. I personally would get a smaller log and water dish and add another hide for the cool side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrid16371; 06-08-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meganmarkita15 View Post
    Is this picture , sopose to be a hide for the snake ? Ive never seen something like that before .... And they actually feel secure in it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yep I've used those for almost 10 years now and babies love the low height and the fact that they can lay under it and be touched on all sides. Yet still see and smell out of the hole for when food is coming.

Now these babies weren't using the hid just yet cause I had just set them up. But they are under them right now and loving them.

In fact normally I'll drop the feeding in the hole and the snake does the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Freakie_frog; 06-09-2016 at 01:17 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

meganmarkita15 (06-09-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast