Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,220

1 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Grrrrr..... My Rant

Last night my daughter was playing around with her friends, she came in with a tiny bp hatchling, and told me it belongs to one of her friends.... now mind you, she relayed to me that this animal has no heat source what so ever, lives in a large critter keeper, with dirt from thier yard for substrate... and the boy was carrying around this tiny baby in the cold outside yesterday to top it all off. My daughter tried to educate her friends Mom about this, she (the Mom) really dont want the snake. The boy was given this animal for his b-day.... to top it all off, it was sold by the pet store I USE to work at. The sales rep did not tell the buyer what this snake needs....... how do I know? I happened to be there the day the snake was bought, and was listening in on the sales rep sales pitch; yes ofcourse when the sales rep walked away, I treid to educate the guy. I just at the time did not realize "who" was buying the snake cause it is my neighbors new boyfriend who bought it. I called my old manager, he dont care.. so no point in trying there. I talked to my hubby about it this AM... he says offer the kid $20 for the snake.... no this is not ripping the kid off, they are marked at $24.95 (minus 25% at the register) this week. I am so irritated and worried for this poor baby. So what do you guys think I should do? At this point, I think I am gonna offer him the money in hopes he will let me have the snake, rather than killing it in his care. And then maybe he can get a more appropriate "gift" for a 10 year old boy.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Re: Grrrrr..... My Rant

your plan sounds good to me. either offer to buy it or offer to help them set something up properly for it....one or the other...as long as the snake will be ok.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Jeanne, if I were you, I would print off copies of our caresheets (with our logo and web address) and ask the manager to distribute them to customers when they purchase their reptiles. Print off the caresheets for the most commonly sold reptiles like BPs, corns, boas, beardies, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smynx
    Jeanne, if I were you, I would print off copies of our caresheets (with our logo and web address) and ask the manager to distribute them to customers when they purchase their reptiles. Print off the caresheets for the most commonly sold reptiles like BPs, corns, boas, beardies, etc.

Unfortunately, I know from past experience, it is not gonna happen. When I worked there , there was no source of caresheets. Back then, I did print them out and give them to buyers or ppl who were wanting info, but since I left, the co. is now using thier own half true caresheets and most of the time, they sit on the rack and are not being handed out, nor paid attention to, and the attention they do get is from kids whose parents dont watch them and are left to run loose in the place, all they do is dirty them up and make the caresheets look crappy by playing with them. Most of the caresheets they do have are nasty enough that I dont wanna touch them. It is really a shame. Management truelly dont care, neither does the corporate office. the animals they sell are nothing but commodities/money makers for them. All they care about is the sale....
    *Jeanne*

Thanks

If you are comfortable with these neighbours Jeanne, I'd first try printing off a caresheet and going over with it. If approached in the right manner you might be able to both educate the family and save this snake (if they are the kind that would be okay and not "know it all" neighbours). If not then I'd offer them whatever they paid for the snake, explaining that Ball Pythons are not "beginner" snakes as so many pet stores like to say they are and that if the snake does not survive the poor child will be so upset (granny always said you get more flies with honey than vinegar LOL).

Good luck!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Frustrating! It's hard watching people mistreat their animals and not knowing exactly how to approach the situation. My guess is that they're not intentionally mistreating it, they just don't know any better. A little bit of expert advice would probably be much appreciated.
    1.0 Ball Python - Olie (1.6 years, 34", 805g.)
    1.0 German Shepherd - Ozcar (4 years, tub o' goo)
    0.2 Degus - Miss Piggy and Tweek

"What do you mean, 'I ain't kind'? Just not your kind."

Thanks

i would get it, make sure its fine and try to adopt/sell it to someone who would take care of it.
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

I just don't think the kid will be too receptive to giving it up. It was a birthday present, and obviously he thinks it's "cool"... can't hurt to try, but I'd be prepared for a no answer...
    1.0 Ball Python - Olie (1.6 years, 34", 805g.)
    1.0 German Shepherd - Ozcar (4 years, tub o' goo)
    0.2 Degus - Miss Piggy and Tweek

"What do you mean, 'I ain't kind'? Just not your kind."

Thanks

I think you'll probably encounter a reluctant child. It's still in the new and cool phase. I wish you the best of luck. I know it's gotta be hard to know how to approach a situation like that, knowing that they'll still be your neighbors after all is said and done. I think the caresheet is a good idea.... I hope you get that little baby outta there soon!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

OK, the mother came to me.

She said that she knew I had snakes and other reptiles, so she was coming to me for help. She explained that the snake was bought by her b/f as a gift... without her knowledge beforehand or her permission. She really does not want the snake because 1) she knows nothing about them 2) she does not feel comfortable with it in the house 3) does not feel like she can afford to have it.

I took her inside my house, tried to teach her how to care for them... her eyes got HUGE and she said there was no way she can afford to get the snake all it needs. She also told me the snake has no heat. I offered to help her to get the bp set up.... she refused, saying that her boys would surely have it dead before the weeks out, and she cant see doing all that work, when they are just gonna kill it to begin with. And you guessed it---- that made me angry. But I was good and held my toungue. At that point, I knew she really does not have any value for life for sure, but that should not have surprised me much, this is a family who lets thier female dog get pregnant because she runs the streets, they dont care about her, they dont ever care for her pups, they throw them out in the snow, rain..whatever, with no shelter. And when the pups get older, there is very little to no food for them. This is a family whose second home is almost right in my backyard, yet they live across the street from that even with her Mom (the kids G-Ma). The second home is where they put noisy dogs, pups, kill stray cats (no I am not joking)...I have had to call animal control out here several times a year. They are neglectful and abusive......... thus my worry for that snake. Anyhow- I held my toungue.. and counted to 10..... and offered to give her $20 for the snake..... knowing her b/f paid $18.74. She looked like she was considering..... and then she said she would let me know tomarrow, she wants to see if the boys are gonna treat it better.....

I have already decided that should she decide to let me have the snake for the $20, I am going to keep it. Add it to my ever growing reptile collection. And give it the life it deserves. Ppl like her really make me mad.... no value for anything..grrrrr. So mean!

However, I am happy to say, I was good about not getting nasty or negitive with her for her behavior and attitude about the whole situation. Normally, I would have gotten a bit rude. I am hoping that keeping the whole thing sweet so to speak will get that snake out of thier home and in mine.
    *Jeanne*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast