Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,463

1 members and 3,462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

hot side temperature recently started to fluctuate a lot

So maybe a little less than a week ago, I've noticed the temperature on my hot side, more so under the hot hide has been fluctuating quite a bit.

I'm using a UTH and herpstat 1, which is set to 92 and a digital thermometer, with both probes under the substrate. The temperature on the glass never got above 95, and the temperature on top of the substrate was always 87-90 when I used my temp gun.

Recently though, the digital thermometer has almost always been reading 95+, and actually got to 98 today. It sometimes drops/rises a couple degrees in like a minute or 2, and whenever I check the digital thermometer, it's always 2-3 degrees different than the last I would check on it.

My BP also hasn't been in his hot hide for the last couple days, even after eating.

Basically, how can the digital thermometer be reaching 98 degrees when the herpstat is set to 92 and could something be not working properly if the temperature is changing this much?

Thanks
    Sounds like Your thermostat is faulty. Keep an eye on it or one day it may break and turn your uth on full and burn or even kill your snake.
    Temps can obviously fluctuate with the room temperature changes and what not but if it's now not going below 95 when room temps are settled then I'd say it's the thermostat.

Thanks
    Are you taking temps of the same spot? and what UTH are you using?

I have herpstat, and I think the probe is rather large, I also had one of those thick zoomed UTH pads. The problem I ran into was that the probe made big air bubble in the middle between the pad and the glass, so I would get a temp reading from the probe that wasnt actually reaching the glass, also The zoomed pad produced the most heat at the base (by the plug) and the least on the other end. What it meant for me, I would get 5 different temps from 5 different spots.

What I suspect is that the area where your herpstat probe is in a spot with a lower temp than other parts of the tank, which means that if the probe is at a spot that is only 92, the some other parts of the pad could be a nice bit more than that. fix would be to just lower the target temp on the thermostat down until you dont have any spots reaching higher than 92.. problem was for me, this left me with a 6x6 inch spot that was my "hot spot".. I ended up replacing them with reptile basics heat pads and all of this was solved.
    Last edited by HanabiraAsashi; 06-07-2016 at 06:09 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HanabiraAsashi For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (06-07-2016)

Thanks

Re: hot side temperature recently started to fluctuate a lot

Where is your thermostat probe? It sounds like it is in the tank by how you said both are under substrate. You should move the thermostat probe between the uth and glass and put it wherever the hide is over. How do you have the probe fastened down? It is very possible your snake has moved it a little or the thermostat probe is not down against the glass, this is the reason why it should be sandwiched between the uth and glass. Move it and then you may need to up your thermostat a little do to the loss of heat through the glass. Your digital thermometer is fine where it's at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-08-2016)

Thanks

So I moved some things around in the tank earlier today and the digital thermometer has gone back down to 92-93.

Quote Originally Posted by HanabiraAsashi View Post
    Are you taking temps of the same spot? and what UTH are you using?

I have herpstat, and I think the probe is rather large, I also had one of those thick zoomed UTH pads. The problem I ran into was that the probe made big air bubble in the middle between the pad and the glass, so I would get a temp reading from the probe that wasnt actually reaching the glass, also The zoomed pad produced the most heat at the base (by the plug) and the least on the other end. What it meant for me, I would get 5 different temps from 5 different spots.

What I suspect is that the area where your herpstat probe is in a spot with a lower temp than other parts of the tank, which means that if the probe is at a spot that is only 92, the some other parts of the pad could be a nice bit more than that. fix would be to just lower the target temp on the thermostat down until you dont have any spots reaching higher than 92.. problem was for me, this left me with a 6x6 inch spot that was my "hot spot".. I ended up replacing them with reptile basics heat pads and all of this was solved.
    I have a zoomed. Up until the last couple days, it's been perfectly fine. I guess the herpstat probe just got moved off the glass or something.

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    Where is your thermostat probe? It sounds like it is in the tank by how you said both are under substrate. You should move the thermostat probe between the uth and glass and put it wherever the hide is over. How do you have the probe fastened down? It is very possible your snake has moved it a little or the thermostat probe is not down against the glass, this is the reason why it should be sandwiched between the uth and glass. Move it and then you may need to up your thermostat a little do to the loss of heat through the glass. Your digital thermometer is fine where it's at.

Yeah the thermostat probe is in the tank. The only way the probe is being held down is the wire going under and in the hide with some substrate on top of it. Would there be a better way to make sure the probe doesn't get moved if it's inside the tank?

If putting the thermostat probe between the glass and UTH, can you take the UTH off the glass without ruining it or something?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    I have a zoomed. Up until the last couple days, it's been perfectly fine. I guess the herpstat probe just got moved off the glass or something

If putting the thermostat probe between the glass and UTH, can you take the UTH off the glass without ruining it or something?
    That's what I thought happened. Yes just gently peal the uth back just enough to get the probe in and then press firmly back down on the mat. You can also take foil tape and tape the uth to the bottom to make sure it stays. Ive moved quite a few zoomed uth and some more then once and never had a problem, just be gentle and just enough room to push the probe in. I would either put it under the glass in about the same spot you had above the glass or near the middle. Like I said before you may need to raise your thermostat after moving it bc of the loss of heat through the glass.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

HanabiraAsashi (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Good catch, I didn't even notice that they said the probe was in the inside