Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: New to breeding

Thanks

New to breeding

And to the forums! Hey all, so I have a 1 year old ball python that's still on mice and the only place that sells around here gouges, so I got a hold of a male and a female. (Actually had to send my brother in law in for the female because he wouldn't sale different sexes to me.) Anyways, I've got them together now, and I know that one of the issues that can happen is not enough protein for the female, so does anyone have any good ideas for supplements, so she doesn't end up eating her liter when we get her going?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New to breeding

Welcome to the forums!

Dried milk (available in most grocery stores) may do the trick. I have heard that it doesn't take much, less than half a screw-on coke bottle cap. And it should be replaced every day.

Thanks
    For pregnant or nursing I like to give:
    - dried milk/milk powder/milk replacer (you can use any kind, but the cheapest will be an "all milk replacer" from a tractor supply or farm and feed; the only downside is that they sell them in sized bags for entire litters or for orphaned farm animals, so you will have A LOT which is the only benefit to getting a smaller more expensive type)
    - canned milk (but they will probably get bedding in it or knock it over)
    - yogurt (again, same spill problem as milk)
    - quality dog food kibble (out of all of their food, it is always their FAVORITE to eat; I always put that in their food mix though)
    - boiled or scrambled eggs
    - cooked meat

aside from Milk Powder, all of these should be taken out of their cage if not eaten.

Thanks
    Also, just to add, I have NEVER had a rodent (rat, mouse, hamster) that cannibalized her young because she was lacking in dietary needs.
    Behavior like that (cannibalizing, aggression towards pups, aggression towards you) should be culled immediately. if that is a problem and if you plan to keep any of her offspring (that she didn't eat) they should be observed for the same behaviors/culled.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Actually the more I read the more I'm finding that cannibalism in the first one or two litters is pretty common until they can figure it out. I had a problem with it, seemed to happen to me when I had multiple mice in the same enclosure. I also cleaned a cage with a new litter and I think that was part of it, don't clean the cage with real young babies in there. Better to separate your female when she is about to give birth. I feed cracked corn, pig chow, mouse / rat chow, and a bird food mix that is all nuts and berries. I'm cranking them out like crazy, no more cannibalism either. Probably best to feed off your males first because they stink, the females hardly smell at all. Just keep one male.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 06-09-2016 at 11:11 PM.