Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

5 members and 3,339 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Better Males with worse female rule

So i read somewhere that you should never ever breed a higher priced/better gene female with a lesser gene/lower price male. I was wondering if this was a thing because I havent really found this rule anywhere but the one source that i dont remember off the top of my head. If this is true could you please explain it to me? Why is this done? Is it true across the board or only for specific morphs? Is it not true for any morphs? (i.e. bananas?)
    1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    This idea is only based on economics. First in general males are worth less than females so it makes sense to buy the cheaper of the two when it comes to high priced morphs. Secondly males can be bred to multiple females so it again make sense to have them in more higher priced genes to better spread their desirable genes. Males also get to a breeding age sooner which means a faster return on your investment.

It is not that you shouldn't breed a less expensive male with a more expensive female, It is more that it makes the most economic sense to own many low priced females and a few high priced males. Of course this will not always fit your breeding plans, and you will have to breed a high priced female to a lower priced male to complete your goal. This may make economic sense if it puts you in a place to make a higher priced morphs in later generations.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AntTheDestroyer For This Useful Post:

Soord (05-31-2016)

Thanks

Re: Better Males with worse female rule

Quote Originally Posted by AntTheDestroyer View Post
    This idea is only based on economics. First in general males are worth less than females so it makes sense to buy the cheaper of the two when it comes to high priced morphs. Secondly males can be bred to multiple females so it again make sense to have them in more higher priced genes to better spread their desirable genes. Males also get to a breeding age sooner which means a faster return on your investment.

It is not that you shouldn't breed a less expensive male with a more expensive female, It is more that it makes the most economic sense to own many low priced females and a few high priced males. Of course this will not always fit your breeding plans, and you will have to breed a high priced female to a lower priced male to complete your goal. This may make economic sense if it puts you in a place to make a higher priced morphs in later generations.
    Ahh that makes sense. I think in the article the guy was talking about how he was so pissed at himself for doing that when pairing some of his last snakes so i was confused as to how it would make for different genetics. I'm going to be a very small scale breeder so that doesn't matter to me as much as getting a snake to pair with my current snakes. I'll pay an extra hundred or two instead of buying multiple snakes to get a specific morph.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soord View Post
    So i read somewhere that you should never ever breed a higher priced/better gene female with a lesser gene/lower price male. I was wondering if this was a thing because I havent really found this rule anywhere but the one source that i dont remember off the top of my head. If this is true could you please explain it to me? Why is this done? Is it true across the board or only for specific morphs? Is it not true for any morphs? (i.e. bananas?)
    Here is the article you are talking about, I was just reading this yesterday.

http://ballpythonbreeder.com/2012/02...thon-breeders/
    Cersei - Female Pastel
    KingSlayer - Male Pastave Het. Hypo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rikoku For This Useful Post:

Soord (05-31-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rikoku View Post
    Here is the article you are talking about, I was just reading this yesterday.

http://ballpythonbreeder.com/2012/02...thon-breeders/
    Yeah that's the one. I guess he does mention it is a waste of female potential. I must have not caught that part on the first read although he doesn't necessarily explain it doesn't have to do with genetics just pairings as antthedestroyer mentioned above.

1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    The advice in the article works if you are trying to maximize the return on your investment money, since one male can service multiple females each year so it makes sense to spend a lot on a powerhouse male and pair him with several cheaper females, rather than the reverse.

OTOH if you are a hobby breeder and you only plan on pairing a few animals each year because your focus is on enjoying these guys as a hobby rather than wringing every last dime from them, then buy what you want and pair what you want to produce what you want.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-01-2016),Ax01 (05-31-2016),Soord (05-31-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    The advice in the article works if you are trying to maximize the return on your investment money, since one male can service multiple females each year so it makes sense to spend a lot on a powerhouse male and pair him with several cheaper females, rather than the reverse.

OTOH if you are a hobby breeder and you only plan on pairing a few animals each year because your focus is on enjoying these guys as a hobby rather than wringing every last dime from them, then buy what you want and pair what you want to produce what you want.
    Alright thanks, im definitely the latter. I have another job so I care more about making cool morphs over money.

1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Soord For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (05-31-2016)

Thanks
    Just common sense imo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stickyalvinroll View Post
    Just common sense imo
    Yeah but I want sure if it had something to do with genetics or not. Doing it for greater economic yield it makes sense but I was curious if it had something to do with chromosomes and the quality of the children.

1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stickyalvinroll View Post
    Just common sense imo
    In most of the threads I've read, you really don't add anything constructive to the conversations. Its seems like you are just trying to add to your post count.
    Cersei - Female Pastel
    KingSlayer - Male Pastave Het. Hypo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rikoku For This Useful Post:

Soord (05-31-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast