Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

2 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is my cool side too warm? BPs spending a lot of time soaking

I have brought home 3 adult balls this week. 2 of which seem to be spending a lot of the time soaking in their bowl.

My Temps are 88-89 on the warm side and about 82-83 on the cool side. Humidity is 73% inside the tubs.

The little girl has not soaked in her bowl at all that I noticed. She moved all her bedding out of her hide and is happy as a clam laying right on the bare plastic right on top her uth.

The male has been in his bowl soaking 2/3rd of the time I check. The guy I bought them from said he was soaking all day the day I bought him and would shed soon.

The big girl though... I have yet to see her out of her bowl! I think she has exited because the bedding was pretty wet in between the water bowl and hide.

Should I be worried?

I have obsessively checked all 3 for mites using a magnifying glass, and haven't seen any on the snakes or in the water. I ordered some PAM anyways and should have it in a few days.

Thanks,

- nervous new snake mom.
    Last edited by voodoolamb; 05-28-2016 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks

Re: Is my cool side too warm? BPs spending a lot of time soaking

Is there any signs of shed? What's are you using as hides? I've heard of some people's snakes thinking there water bowl is more secure. Cool side temps are fine. What are you using as your heat source and where are you taking the temp of the hot side? If you have a thermostat and taking hot spot temps correctly then they shouldn't be soaking bc there to hot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My hides are 7 plastic oil pans (black) with a cut out about 1/4 inch bigger then the biggest snakes thickest area if that makes sense.

The water bowls are white plastic shoe box sized containers with a little section cut out so they have easier access to the water with the lid on.

My heater is a typical under tank heater/seed germination mat by vivosun. I do have a thermostat on them.

I'm taking my temp readings using one of the lazer temp guns. I shoot the lazer into the hide and angle down onto the surface of the substrate. I also took temp readings outside the hide on the substrate surface as well. It's about a degree or two warmer inside the hide then out.

No obvious signs of shedding as of yet, no blue or cloudiness, but they are new to me so I don't have a base line as to if they are darker then normal.

Thanks

Thanks

Everything sounds good. How big is your enclosure and what type of material? Shoebox tub water dishes sound huge, they don't have to be big enough for them to get in. If you have lids on them they might like to hide in them. Change out water bowls with regular reptile ones or ceramic ones, since there adult you can use bigger ones but not big enough for them to get all the way in. I would change them out and see what happens.

Thanks
    They are all in 41 qt sterilite tubs with aspen bedding. Do you think it's possible she doesn't like the substrate?

No lids on the water boxes. They're a bit smaller then shoe box size... i guess 6 qts maybe? I wasnt paying attention but they are large enough for the beasties to all soak in. They're completely open.

I'll pick up some smaller bowls and give it a go.

Think I should treat for mites just in case?

Thanks
    Wouldn't hurt treating for mites just in case.
    Very rare you'll see them on the snake so they could easily have them without noticing.
    6qts is a lot of water. All my big ones have 500ml of water which is half a quart if I'm not mistaken

Thanks
    My post posted twice for some reason sorry.
    Last edited by Scottywelsh; 05-28-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks
    How were their conditions in their last home? They might be dehydrated and trying to make up for it now that they have a good water source.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post

Think I should treat for mites just in case?
    You would definitely see tiny black specks in the water if they have been soaking that long but it wouldn't hurt. I would treat all the new snakes not just the ones soaking. Make sure you follow the PAM instructions exactly! Take snake and any water bowls out and then spray and let the cage air out good, you will have to wait at least 15 minutes I usually give mine 30-45 minutes to be safe. The fumes can actually kill your snakes that's why you take out water source and snake.

Thanks

If your using a rack and have more then those 3 snakes then your going to have to take every snake out or move tubs to different locations so the Pam airing out doesn't affect the others, that's if there all in the same rack. You actually should PAM any snakes in the same room as them but like I said make sure no animal is around while it airs out. Whether you have those 3 or more just take one tub at a time and move it to a different room and spray and let it air out and then after put snake and tub back and grab another go to different room then spray air out, etc.

Last edited by chrid16371; 05-29-2016 at 05:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast