Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

1 members and 3,428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow, what a great story! I found myself reading all of the pages.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sallos For This Useful Post:

Fraido (10-21-2016)

Thanks

Re: Soon to be new guy

Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    Wow, what a great story! I found myself reading all of the pages.
    It's a pretty dramatic thread! 😁
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Phatty enjoyed a nice bath today..

The stare that gets me every time... Lol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

BeksNY (10-22-2016),Reinz (10-22-2016)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Wanting opinions, my mother has been going crazy, and she is so freaking rude I can barely stand it. I can't stand the "I'm always right" attitude she has 100% of the time, so I want opinions. We live in a little housing complex, supposedly the neighbours had been seen pouring what she suspects is grease and stuff down the storm drains, and apparently our water tastes and smells funny, and so she's constantly yelling at me about it because I don't smell or taste ANYTHING. That's been going on for the last week and a half. She is so crazy about it she is going to the city water people and she is going to get it tested because that is "not right." Her theory is that it must somehow have something to do with the neighbours and their pouring of grease. According to her she can't stand it so much that she can barely stand washing the dishes because she doesn't want her hands in the water.

Now she's screaming at me about how the freezer smells funny and apparently I am stupid and wrong and need to be yelled at because once again I don't smell ANYTHING. I have smelled everything she is freaking out about, nothing. She calls me down to ask what was in a box in the freezer, my boyfriend's rat is in there because he passed away early June and he is pending cremation, so I tell her that and she freaks out about how she doesn't want it in there because according to her he's obviously "contaminating" everything in the fridge and poisoning everybody because now suddenly the bottled water doesn't taste right and it just MUST be him. I have smelled the box, I have tasted the water, NOTHING IS DIFFERENT. I am getting beyond frustrated. She goes as far to imply she's going to freaking die from the apparent "poisoning" that is happening, she tells me she has a doctors appointment next week and that she's going to bring it up to him and she says, "If I f***ing make it that long." JESUS.

She complains about the neighbours having a little compost and putting crap in their gardens because it stinks, she made me go into the backyard earlier today and smell because apparently it smells metallic yet all I could smell was gross poopy grass from the stupid other neighbours which just let their dog crap wherever. Of course she starts yelling at me for not smelling it.

Like, sounds to me like something is wrong with HER nose, smell and taste go together and she's the one having issues with both of those things. In the beginning when she was complaing about the water I could smell a faint metallic smell, but I don't smell anything now. She claims to smell it in the backyard where the hose pipe thing is and even when she showers. UGH. I can't stand being in the wrong all the time somehow just because I can't smell or taste what she is smelling and tasting.

So, there is no way Choo (rat) could be "contaminating" anything, right? It does not make sense, I have other frozen rats in the freezer for the snakes and it doesn't make sense that apparently Choo is causing a problem when the other rats aren't. (I even had her smell the package of frozen rats, and I had both me and my boyfriend smell Choo.)
    What the heck do you guys think of this situation?!
    Does your mom have some sort of mental illness? This sounds like something I'd expect out of someone with paranoid schizophrenia, manic depression, bordlerline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, or some other mood/personality disorder in the same vein. Especially if you say she's always been this way. Not saying this is the case, but that could be an explanation, and you did say she has anxiety, which can be tied to any number of other mental illnesses.

As others have suggested, talking it out with her and figuring out how she works may help. It may just be a case of a conflicting image of who you are and her anxiety causing her to run away with her imagination rather the very serious disorders I immediately thought of above. Maybe some family therapy time is in order?

I used to live with an awful parent, although he didn't rail and nag on me like your mother does, he was not a joy to live with. Now that we live separately, we sort of get along but he's still irritating to interact with a lot of the time. Sometimes it's generation gap, sometimes parents just won't/can't work past their issues, my father and I only semi get along because we rarely interact. He's still the same person, I just don't really have to deal with him.

Also, wow what a scary situation! A similar situation (but reversed) is why I no longer let dogs or cats come into contact with my snakes, I almost lost my oldest boa to a cat attack. All 3 (maybe even 4) cats had ganged up on him and scratched him up really bad. My mom didn't even tell me this happened, I learned about it when I came to visit a couple weeks later to see my baby covered in a bunch of big white scars. The snakes leave the room and the dog/cats are locked up. I mostly keep them in their respective rooms, though. Most people laugh me off or get aggressive ("I know my dog and s/he's very well trained, you don't know what you're talking about!" - usually don't care about what the snake might do), but you don't realize just how quickly things can get ugly until it happens.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

BeksNY (10-22-2016),Fraido (10-22-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    Does your mom have some sort of mental illness? This sounds like something I'd expect out of someone with paranoid schizophrenia, manic depression, bordlerline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, or some other mood/personality disorder in the same vein. Especially if you say she's always been this way. Not saying this is the case, but that could be an explanation, and you did say she has anxiety, which can be tied to any number of other mental illnesses.

As others have suggested, talking it out with her and figuring out how she works may help. It may just be a case of a conflicting image of who you are and her anxiety causing her to run away with her imagination rather the very serious disorders I immediately thought of above. Maybe some family therapy time is in order?

I used to live with an awful parent, although he didn't rail and nag on me like your mother does, he was not a joy to live with. Now that we live separately, we sort of get along but he's still irritating to interact with a lot of the time. Sometimes it's generation gap, sometimes parents just won't/can't work past their issues, my father and I only semi get along because we rarely interact. He's still the same person, I just don't really have to deal with him.

Also, wow what a scary situation! A similar situation (but reversed) is why I no longer let dogs or cats come into contact with my snakes, I almost lost my oldest boa to a cat attack. All 3 (maybe even 4) cats had ganged up on him and scratched him up really bad. My mom didn't even tell me this happened, I learned about it when I came to visit a couple weeks later to see my baby covered in a bunch of big white scars. The snakes leave the room and the dog/cats are locked up. I mostly keep them in their respective rooms, though. Most people laugh me off or get aggressive ("I know my dog and s/he's very well trained, you don't know what you're talking about!" - usually don't care about what the snake might do), but you don't realize just how quickly things can get ugly until it happens.
    Not as far as I'm aware, but geez I wouldn't be surprised if she actually does. Well, I'm pretty sure she had/has depression, but I don't know.

I'm not sure any amount of therapy can really help her and I, we're just such different people and it causes conflicts all the time. Not much has happened since the nose/smell problems, thankfully.

I think her plan is to move out in a year or two, thank the Lord..

It's crazy how things can go wrong so quickly like that. It's one of the reasons I'm not going to get a Giant in a loooonngg time, if ever. I want to have a good separate snake room, so I can keep everybody separated 100%. I'm not going to perma-ban my cuddly kitty from my room. Can you imagine if that had been a big burm or a retic? I would have had no chance and even from just a tag she could have been really hurt.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Fraido, did you ever get the snake hook that you wanted?

If not, I may have some information that may be helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Fraido, did you ever get the snake hook that you wanted?

If not, I may have some information that may be helpful.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

I got one, it's just too small. It's the perfect size for maneuvering his head like you're supposed to, but I really want one to fit around his body so I can just pull him a little closer when he's in the enclosure.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Gosh, I forgot about this thread - I hope you and your mom are doing better now, or at least smelling better

I love the picture of Phatty next to your boa, I think I found another picture of them together...

1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

Fraido (10-22-2016),Reinz (10-22-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Soon to be new guy

The only thing I use a snake hook for is getting them out from under the bed or from behind the couch, etc.

When I got my large Boa, I didn't like the standard snake hooks. Since she had a large girth I was afraid of doing harm trying to get her out of tight spaces behind the furniture.

I could not find any hooks with a large "U" in the hook for larger snakes. So I asked this guy on a very popular bidding site to make me a larger hook and a 48 inch long shaft.

The hook is about 5 inches across at the widest point, but has a slower taper to the most narrow.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that this is the guy below.

Best

Oops! I got an infraction once for showing an ad.

PM me if you want the name of the guy.
    Last edited by Reinz; 10-22-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

BeksNY (10-22-2016),Fraido (10-22-2016)

Thanks

Phatty cons: He can't chill around my neck without rolling off or choking me 😣 Lol

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast