Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,630

2 members and 2,628 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

First Ball Python PVC or Rack system?

Hey there! So I am going to be getting my first ball python soon and I have been studying on them for a very long time. That being said, I love to get a lot of different opinions as well. So my question is this- For my first ball, should I spend more money and get the PVC cage and dress it up so it looks great, or should I save a little money with a rack system? Both options sound great! I really want to have a great visual showing of the snake which is why I like the PVC idea, but at the same time I would like to grow my collection if I do enjoy keeping my first python, so it would help to have an accessible place to put them. I have more areas I could put a rack than a PVC, but I do want to see the python as well. I would love any opinions on which I should get! Just trying to figure it out so I can start planning soon haha (: Thanks!

Thanks

Re: First Ball Python PVC or Rack system?

Are you planning on breeding or just acquiring multiple snakes?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soord For This Useful Post:

Robbie82 (05-24-2016)

Thanks

If you plan on expanding in the near future I would definitely go with a rack system . They hold heat and humidity well and from my experience are ideal for ball pythons . I went with a rack when I began because I knew it wouldn't be long before I was adding to my collection . I don't regret it at all . Good luck with whatever you decide .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dustin860 For This Useful Post:

Robbie82 (05-24-2016)

Thanks

I plan to breed, but I am not sure yet on how long it will be until I get another snake. I would hope within the next year or so after my first. It all depends on what I see and if I can't leave a show without one haha! (:

Thanks

Thank you for the advice! I think I am leaning more toward a rack system, but I do like the Animal Plastics cages to see the snake, but as you said if I do plan to grow the collection, then I should probably stick with a rack.

Thanks

If you have a few showstoppers or just snakes you love and have money to spend, getting APs isn't a terrible plan. That being said they are super expensive compared to a rack system. Even the thermostat is more expensive because you need more than a 1 prong herpstat for more than one snake. If you plan on breeding or want to save money for sure go with rack. I found a 3 adult snake rack for 300 with heat which is about price of one ap cage with heat and locks on the doors

1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Soord For This Useful Post:

Robbie82 (05-24-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie82 View Post
    Thank you for the advice! I think I am leaning more toward a rack system, but I do like the Animal Plastics cages to see the snake, but as you said if I do plan to grow the collection, then I should probably stick with a rack.
    What I plan on doing when I get a little more money is buying an ap for my very first bp because of the sentimental value he is to me and getting racks for the rest. Maybe you can do that too? Start of with racks then upgrade when you feel like it.

1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Soord For This Useful Post:

Robbie82 (05-24-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soord View Post
    If you have a few showstoppers or just snakes you love and have money to spend, getting APs isn't a terrible plan. That being said they are super expensive compared to a rack system. Even the thermostat is more expensive because you need more than a 1 prong herpstat for more than one snake. If you plan on breeding or want to save money for sure go with rack. I found a 3 adult snake rack for 300 with heat which is about price of one ap cage with heat and locks on the doors

Okay that helps. I didn't know about the difference in thermostats so that would make things a lot more expensive later on. I was thinking if I did eventually want a cage I could get the rack first and then once the snake grew a little larger and I had others to fill in the rack, I could just put my favorite one in a cage. Just an idea, but saving on the thermostat and space by getting a rack sounds like a more practical option right now. Been studying things over for years now and I can finally get one so I want to have the best set up I can so I can start the hobby (: I have also heard once you get one, it is hard not to get another haha!

- - - Updated - - -

What I plan on doing when I get a little more money is buying an ap for my very first bp because of the sentimental value he is to me and getting racks for the rest. Maybe you can do that too? Start of with racks then upgrade when you feel like it.

We had the same idea! lol
    Last edited by Robbie82; 05-24-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie82 View Post
    Okay that helps. I didn't know about the difference in thermostats so that would make things a lot more expensive later on. I was thinking if I did eventually want a cage I could get the rack first and then once the snake grew a little larger and I had others to fill in the rack, I could just put my favorite one in a cage. Just an idea, but saving on the thermostat and space by getting a rack sounds like a more practical option right now. Been studying things over for years now and I can finally get one so I want to have the best set up I can so I can start the hobby (: I have also heard once you get one, it is hard not to get another haha!

- - - Updated - - -

We had the same idea! lol
    Haha great minds think alike. And I'll explain. So many racks are wired up with tape at the back or side so you need just one probe to put in the middle and it should work for the all the heat in the rack (with a little variance between top and bottom) if you get all AP cages you will need a probe for each ones heat system since they are separate. Ive been shopping for a rack and many people recommend going with a herpstat 2 in case of expanding your cage, and it would work well for if you got your ap cage and didn't expand the racks yet. It is extra money though so a 1 works fine for starting out. Also a cheaper thermo works alright but if you can shell out some money for a good one right off the bat it makes you and the snake a happy camper.

1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Soord For This Useful Post:

Robbie82 (05-24-2016)

Thanks

Haha great minds think alike. And I'll explain. So many racks are wired up with tape at the back or side so you need just one probe to put in the middle and it should work for the all the heat in the rack (with a little variance between top and bottom) if you get all AP cages you will need a probe for each ones heat system since they are separate. Ive been shopping for a rack and many people recommend going with a herpstat 2 in case of expanding your cage, and it would work well for if you got your ap cage and didn't expand the racks yet. It is extra money though so a 1 works fine for starting out. Also a cheaper thermo works alright but if you can shell out some money for a good one right off the bat it makes you and the snake a happy camper.

I have read a lot of people saying that so I will put aside some money for a good thermo. My main concern is the snakes well being and thanks for clearing that up! I honestly don't mind racks at all, I actually like them, just like the visual aspect of the cages. I have wanted one since I was a kid and now I can actually get one haha. Just took genetics last semester as well so I am all about making some great looking morphs! (: What do you have in your collection?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast