Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

2 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help anyone know what this is?

My pied developed some marks on him and am not sure what they are. He was pure white in this area now has these on him after a shed. Is this something bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Help anyone know what this is?

Any blood spilled on the floor of the enclosure from his last meal? What type of enclosure is he in and what are the husbandry numbers? Any protrusions or sharp objects in the enclosure? What cleaning agents do you use to spot clean or generally clean the enclosure? Can you post a picture of the whole enclosure?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Any blood spilled on the floor of the enclosure from his last meal? What type of enclosure is he in and what are the husbandry numbers? Any protrusions or sharp objects in the enclosure? What cleaning agents do you use to spot clean or generally clean the enclosure? Can you post a picture of the whole enclosure?
    I only had him for 2 weeks. He has not eaten, tried twice killed the mouse but never eaten them. He is in a 15qt tub rack system, belly heat aet at 89 degrees. No sharp objects tub, no sign of blood found in enclosure. Have not cleaned the tub yet.

I have ordered reptichip to help with humidity. I think it is low, don't have anything to measure the humidity.

Thanks
    I own a Pied. My answer below is based on my belief from your picture that the scales have changed color between sheds, and the scales are normal in morphology etc etc, nothing more.

While I have NOT seen this color come in after a shed against the white, I HAVE over time observed black scales to come in. Typically it's 1-3 scales clustered together. "First" shed they appear grey, it makes you think there's dirt on them, then after 2nd shed they come in completely black. On a rare occasion a few scales have turned from white to black in ONE shed.

I talked to other owners of Pieds at times, and many have reported the same observations I have, ie white scales to black.

While Pied genetics are proven, what is not understood at all in most animals, including humans, is epigenetics. Epigenetics is at work here with my Pied, and yours as well IMO.

I suspect you are observing the same thing I have observed, just a different color.
    Last edited by viper69; 05-20-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

It looks like he has scraped his back while shedding?

I'd check the inside of his hides for rough spots etc.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    When I blow up the picture, it almost looks like stuck shed. Something is definitely going on. That's not a scale change. imo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    When I blow up the picture, it almost looks like stuck shed. Something is definitely going on. That's not a scale change. Yes, the more I study the pictures I'm almost positive. That snake needs some care quick. There's a big piece of shed in one. A good shed comes off like a rolled nylon. I hope a piece isn't cutting off circulation on the tail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    When I blow up the picture, it almost looks like stuck shed. Something is definitely going on. That's not a scale change. Yes, the more I study the pictures I'm almost positive. That snake needs some care quick. There's a big piece of shed in one. A good shed comes off like a rolled nylon. I hope a piece isn't cutting off circulation on the tail.
    How'd you blow up the picture? I couldn't do so, just clicking on the pic a bit only made the image marginally larger. I'm new to using this forum.

OH never mind, sorry about that. I figured it out. Yeah, SCRAP my first comment. The scales' surface are not normal looking, ie shiny/smooth. This is not color change as I have observed in my Pied. Sorry !!
    Last edited by viper69; 05-20-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    I have a nearly all white pied and now and then she has a bad shed in the winter and she gets three or four scales that look exactly like that. I've never seen her with as much discoloration as your guy, but it's the same thing. In my case I crank up the humidity during the next shed and it goes away. I've never tried to rub the discoloration off, I always just wait.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

viper69 (05-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts

Looks like scrap from something ruff. Not accusing just wanted to ask if you pulled of some of the stuck shed. I hope the little guy heals soon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast