Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

0 members and 3,113 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Japanese Themed BP Terrarium

Would it be safe to add a Japanese garden theme to my ball python's terrarium? Of course I am putting his comfort first, with the usual proper substrate, warm & cool sides w/ hides on each, water bowl for soaking & humidity. I've been fervently researching husbandry before I bring him home and I understand they need little more than the basics to be happy, but in order to make my roommates more comfortable I was hoping to create a visually appealing space. If at all possible I wanted a terrarium style that's a little more original than the usual log hides and other "naturalistic" accessories that don't resemble the bp's natural habitat anyway.

What I had in mind was adding a pagoda-themed hide, moss clumps, false cherry blossom plants, a few flat stones, and maybe a small statue ornament or two. I just don't want to put this all together and then find out from more experienced keepers how unhealthy it is for him. The blueprints I drew up seem safe but I wanted outside opinions if there is anything that could make this a bad idea?

Thanks
    I am getting on this thread b/c i too want to make a "creative" terrarium for my boa. Like you, al the necessities: hides, thermal gradient, climbing structure (my boa climbs), but NOT nature themed. Not that i have anything against nature, just trying to make an out-of-the-box snake box. But i worry that they are somehow hardwired to prefer outdoor stuff and, ultimately, its really about the animal's comfort, not mine. Very interested in what the learned herpers on this site will say.

Thanks
    It's all opinion, in my opinion . how's a snake going into a tub on paper with water bowl and maybe hide any more natural then a snake going in a decorated tank. Just a thought is all

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think a good general rule of thumb is that if it's safe for food contact or for little kids who put everything in their mouths, it's safe for snake contact.
    So, painting a pagoda with lead model paint is a no. But a toy pagoda that says ages 3 and up should be fine. Ceramics with food-safe glaze are fine. Artificial plants are generally considered ok as long as they don't have sharp wires poking out. Tape or other sticky stuff is bad, and you should avoid anything that "sheds" material that should not be accidentally ingested.
    Just keep in mind that you might have to scrub poop off anything you put in there, so while a delicate hand crafted bamboo and twine gazebo may be beautiful, it might be difficult to clean.
    I hope you post photos when it's done!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Thom Noble (05-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i went Japanese/zen for my first enclosure, see..

but it looks like a jungle ruin now...

i put in a sand garden but think having Japanese decorations is fine. just make sure u provide the appropriate hides, waterbowl and enclosure and it all meets your BP's husbandry needs.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Japanese Themed BP Terrarium

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i put in a sand garden but think having Japanese decorations is fine. just make sure u provide the appropriate hides, waterbowl and enclosure and it all meets your BP's husbandry needs.
    whoops i meant NO sand garden. lol BP's aren't sand boas.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292