Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

0 members and 3,215 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

My recent pickup...

So, I went to the Steel City Reptile expo on Saturday hoping to find a medium to high-white pied (or a spied) female for sale for a good price. Unfortunately, there was only one pied at the whole expo and it was a super-low white male. I didn't come home empty handed though... My son has been asking for a lizard, so like any good dad would do, I bought him two. I've read a little bit about them in the past, but honestly, I didn't know that much about them. I talked to a few vendors at the expo and thought I had a decent understanding of what I needed. I had an old plastic enclosure that has about the same floor space as a 29 gallon tank, so my plan was to put them in there (one male and one female).

Now, I'm sure you experienced beardie folks are cringing... I was told by two vendors that I could keep my male and female together without any problems and they wouldn't be able to breed for sometime. So, I get home, put them both in my tank with a good uvb bulb and a basking light. Now, I did know enough to have my heat sources controlled and have been watching temps and humidity levels closely with digital thermometers/hygrometers and a heat gun. I have learned since having my bp how to control temps pretty well, so I feel comfortable with that.

I start doing some more research, and find that pretty much everything the vendors told me was inaccurate. I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. So, I got lucky... a quick search on Craigslist found me another 30 gallon aquarium setup previously used for a reptile. A good cleaning, some new bulbs, and new furniture... and now I have two setups running and maintaining good heat and humidity.

Here are our new beardies... Thunder (M) and Lightning (F)

Thunder

Lightning

I bought some crickets at the expo... but after a day of thinking and reading, I may order some dubia roaches and try to start a little colony. I have everything I need, and think it may just make sense financially. Any thoughts?
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

Megg (05-16-2016),Reptimom (05-18-2016)

Thanks

Re: My recent pickup...

The pics aren't showing for me, but I'm sure they're beautiful! Beardies are awesome critters. Yes, I'd definitely start a roach colony. Crickets are expensive, stinky, and loud. I quit using them some time ago.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Megg For This Useful Post:

LittleTreeGuy (05-17-2016)

Thanks

Congrats! How old are your babies?
    Please consider separating them asap, they will try breeding from a young age and can get very territorial and attack the other. Also one might not get enough basking time if the other hogs the rock.
    Dubia colony is a great idea to do, of your in the states you can buy feeder sized roaches from here: http://gordosfeederbugz.com/shop/fee...dubia-roaches/
    And breeders from here: http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/roaches/
    A good colony would be 100 F and 30 M, don't let the the male population get to big or they will start fighting over the females.
    Overall, good luck, ask any questions you need, and maybe a rundown of their setup? (I can't see the pics ether).
    Reptimom.
    Bearded Dragons: 0.2 Normal (Mufasa), Normal (Norberta)
    Cat: 0.1 Tortoiseshell (Butterscotch)
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Ghost (Olympia)
    Hermit Crabs 1.1 Purple Pincher (Tyler), Purple Pincher (Londyn Raine)

Thanks
    Thanks Reptimom!!!! I was able to get them permanently separated on day 2 of me owning them. Here is a rundown of their current setups:

Male - Not sure of age, Guessing under 6 months. Around 6-8", nose to tail
    Enclosure - Plastic 24x20x14. Top, bottom, and sides are not transparent and are off-white. the front is a clear Lexan plastic door.
    Heat - Halogen flood light on a dimmer for basking spot and this tank sits on top of my AP T8 for my bp, so ambient temps stay warm. Basking spot, on top of his rock is about 105F, coolest part of the enclosure is about 80F.
    - I'm using kraft indented paper as a substrate.
    - He has a shallow water bowl approximately 6" across and about 1/2"-3/4" deep. Also a small food plate for greens.
    - He has a hide on the cool side and also space under his basking rock if he wants to hide there. He spends most of his time on the basking rock or standing against the front window.
    - Has a large piece of grapevine that allows him to get up close to the UVB light or just climb around on.

Female - Not sure of age, guessing under 6 months. Slightly larger than the male in body girth and length
    Enclosure - Glass 20g long tank with screen top
    Heat - Halogen flood light on dimmer for basking spot. heat tape under bottom of tank to keep the floor of the tank in the mid 70's. Basking spot is about 108f, and cold side of the enclosure is about 76F
    - I have reptile carpet in this one for now
    - same water bowl and food bowl
    - elevated basking spot with hide underneath
    -also has a grapevine that due to it's size/shape, offers a hiding spot underneath it. This goes from the middle of the tank to the cool side.

Both tanks have a UVB Reptisun 10.0 bulb that spans pretty much the length of the enclosures, on the inside so the dragons are closer to them.

I just got them this past Saturday. They both ate 5 or 6 crickets that day, and have only each eaten a few since then. I'm hoping it's only due to some relocation stress. I've been offering both of them collard greens, finely chopped and misted. I don't expect them to eat much of those, but still offering. I have been offering dusted crickets twice a day in a separate tub. they have both pooped, so I know that's a good sign. The female actually shed yesterday, which caught me by surprise. She is by far more active than the male. He doesn't move around very much, but again, hoping he'll settle in soon. I'm trying not to handle them or fool with them aside from feeing times until they start eating better.

I'm open for thoughts, suggestions, comments... anything.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

Reptimom (05-18-2016)

Thanks

Oh good!! They will be so much happier that way.
    At that size he is definitely under 6months, probably like, two months or so I guess, younger. It's kinda hard to figure out ages on beardies lol.
    That size tank will work for now but when he starts hitting big growth spurts then you'll want to move him to a 40 gal Breeder tank, that size will fit him for for the rest of his life unless you want want to get a little bigger.
    Perfect temps! Neither of them will probably use their water bowl except for a toilet, bearded dragons don't drink from still water so you may want to use a syringe and give them water through that every day or daily baths.
    Pretty much the same for Lightning as with Thunder, you may want to try and bump her cool side up to 80 like her brothers though.
    They both sound great, and that is one of the best UVB lights to use.
    My first beardie shed the second day I got her, the poor baby was tiny and had a ruff of skin all around her head, it was too funny. XD
    Females are a bit more active than males usually, nothing to worry about unless he really starts acting and looking lethargic. Hopefully they will settle in quickly, it's so hard to wait to hold them. :p
    Reptimom.

Thanks
    Better go start a gofundme page. My wife's beardie eats an incredible amount of dubias. I can feed my 2 snakes for 2 months +, compared to her 1 month of dubias for 1 beardie. We've talked about breeding dubias, but end up using the hold backs as food waiting for the next shipment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yodawagon View Post
    Better go start a gofundme page. My wife's beardie eats an incredible amount of dubias. I can feed my 2 snakes for 2 months +, compared to her 1 month of dubias for 1 beardie. We've talked about breeding dubias, but end up using the hold backs as food waiting for the next shipment.
    I've read that.... one they start eating, they are eating machines. My female which I think is a few weeks older, has finally started eating some crickets for me. The male still isn't interested. He didn't eat any crickets today at all, and I don't think he touched his greens too much. I weighed him this evening and he's at 8g. At least now I know what he weighs... if he doesn't start eating for me in the next few days, I'll be worried.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi

Thanks
    If you buy adult dubias and get heat on them they breed like bunnies. Keep it to a 1.4/5 ratio of males to females.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
    If you buy adult dubias and get heat on them they breed like bunnies. Keep it to a 1.4/5 ratio of males to females.
    I tried that ratio... but the .4 male isn't moving.... LOL... just kidding.

Unfortunately, the smaller beardie is having some complications most certainly due to the atadenovirus. I don't really expect him to make it through the next few days. He saw a good vet last week and she said being so young, he doesn't have much of a chance. I've been having to assist feed him for days.

We're all kind of bummed, and I figured we just make due with one dragon, but my son said he'd really like us to get another one if Thunder dies, so if there are any dragon breeders on here... let me know if you have any young ones for sale.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi

Thanks
    I'm so sorry to hear about Thunder, how is the baby doing today? I'm not a breeder and I only know breeders in my area, sorry.