Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,265

1 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Experiences with RIs in Ball Pythons

I just wanted to pass along my experience. I have had a wild type ball python since 97' and recently made acquisitions of some nice morphs last year. One that I got from a breeder had issues striking food but not eating, then mouth rot, and finally a RI. The BP was sent to a vet, which gave me oral Baytril and instructions to increase temps and humidity. In the process, my other six bps got sick (not wild type "the tank"), with one eventually succumbing to the infection and three improving with the meds. Since I noticed that the remaining two sick snakes would tend to stay on the cool side of the tubs (uths running 85 cool -- 90-95 warm), I decided to replace their cage with a smaller shoe tote just big enough for a small hide and water bowl that essentially runs a uth between 90-95 degrees and retains humidity much better. After a month, I have not seen any such symptoms and the snakes are back on the feed. I suspect I will keep this up for another month to ensure a successful quarantine before transitioning to the normal size tub (in quarantine isle). I learned a very hard lesson, which cost me a lot of money and one of my pets life, about a maintaining a successful quarantine, involving two rack locations, appropriate heat and temps, sanitizing equipment, washing hands thoroughly before handling , and especially not trying to salvage a feeder f/t rat by giving it to the next one that will feed.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    That sucks.
    Many of us push for proper quarantine for this exact reason but too many people think its not needed.

Thanks

Re: Experiences with RIs in Ball Pythons

I'm sorry that happened. Thank you for sharing your story, it might help someone else in the future
    0.1 Mahogany Ball Python - 'Donuts'