Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,481

1 members and 2,480 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Exclamation Random rat deaths

Ok so I started breeding rats around 5 months ago and during that time every rat has seemed healthy. Now the one problem is my breeder rats die. It's not like all of a sudden they start dying, but over this five month period they sort of just die. I was wondering if there is any reason behind it. I would love any help because I am really struggling to figure out what's wrong

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    How old are your rats? They only live about 2 years, then all bets are off especially if you are breeding them like crazy.

I also suspect my water bottles and I always have at least two per cage. Sometimes I see my mice / rats / ASF desperately trying to get water out of a stuck bottle that is full but won't release any water, especially with glass bottles, I don't trust them at all anymore.

Thanks
    From what I have read, could also be what you are feeding them if it isn't well balanced...

Thanks

Re: Random rat deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrush View Post
    From what I have read, could also be what you are feeding them if it isn't well balanced...
    If you are feeding anything other than lab block I would switch to that ASAP. I had the same issues breeding rats years ago when I was feeding dog food. I tried all different brands and levels of quality, but would have random rats die. I even had a pathologist at a top ranked vet school do a necropsy to confirm the absence of transferable diseases.

In research labs we feed rats traditional lab chow and very rarely if ever have spontaneous deaths.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    If you are feeding anything other than lab block I would switch to that ASAP. I had the same issues breeding rats years ago when I was feeding dog food. I tried all different brands and levels of quality, but would have random rats die. I even had a pathologist at a top ranked vet school do a necropsy to confirm the absence of transferable diseases.

In research labs we feed rats traditional lab chow and very rarely if ever have spontaneous deaths.
    Are you paying the $1 a pound price for NE still? I'm making my own mix now. Mazuri and NE are now both too expensive for my numbers. I really wish NE hadn't been taken over.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    I actually dont breed rats anymore. I spent way more time maintaining the rats than I did the actual snakes. Decided it was best just to buy frozen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrush View Post
    Unrelated, but your ferrets are gorgeous

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitsune For This Useful Post:

Sirrush (05-16-2016)