Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

0 members and 3,279 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Scaleless cornsnakes purity

Hi guys! I don't remember where but I heard that scaleless cornsnake is the result of a copule of cornsnake x scaleless rat snake.
    If that is true, and blood of ratsnake was introduced in cornsankes blood, with the resconance of this gene and his high request on the market, we can say goodbye to the 100% purity of cornsnakes in captivity.

is that true?

sorry for my englesh, thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Corns and Rat Snakes have been crossed in captivity since the beginning of time.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    There are a lot of rumors that the tessera gene is the product of hybridization. I Have never seen definitive proof either way, but looking at many hybrids I would not be surprised if it was true. Also until fairly recently the great plains rat snake was considered the same species so they were often crossed in captivity.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i dunno anything about their genetics but i saw one at the expo over the weekend. so cute!

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    I've been interested in the scaleless because their so different. Never heard about hybridization but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They both used to be Elaphae (spell?). Now, the corn is (usually) listed as Pantheropus (again, spell?). Also, the common names still get mixed; the rosy rat snake is also the locality Upper Keys corn snake - same snake.

I suspect there may always have been natural intergrades.

If you are interested in indepth genetic discussion related to this topic (re. the Palmetto morph, not the scaleless), search the archives at Cornsnakes.com. The DNA of the corn has been sequenced, and I assumed this meant there would be easy answers, but, it turns out that coming to a definitive answer on interspecies crosses here is not that easy. Long and fascinating thread.

Thanks
    Is well known that cornsakes are usually hybridated, but in this case we are assumimg hybrids as pure species.
    I love localities etc. and for me this is too sadly!
    Can we say that the most part of P. guttatus in the market are not pure P. guttatus?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Scaleless cornsnakes purity

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    Is well known that cornsakes are usually hybridated, but in this case we are assumimg hybrids as pure species.
    I love localities etc. and for me this is too sadly!
    Can we say that the most part of P. guttatus in the market are not pure P. guttatus?
    Were they ever? I don't know how the evolutionary tree for corns and rats branched, and I'm not sure anyone will ever be able to definitively determine that. When I was in school, the definition of species was firm - with some exceptions, and the exceptions like the mule were usually sterile. DNA advancements since then should have helped the situation, but I see more just another layer of argument. Scientific names seem to be more in contention than ever before. Frankly, I'm suspecting careerism, and I'm finding old-school morphology oriented scientists who are openly dissatisfied with current trends.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was another twenty years or more before thing shake out, and we get a clear, consistent understanding.
    Last edited by distaff; 05-13-2016 at 11:18 AM.