Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,274

1 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I found one (and only one I guess) study about this, probably the one that O'Mathghamhna found:

The effects of UV light on calcium metabolism in ball pythongs (Python regius)
    Vet Rec. October 2013;173(14):345.

J Hedley1; K Eatwell

Article Abstract

Despite the popularity of keeping snakes in captivity, there has been limited investigation into the effects of UV radiation on vitamin D levels in snakes. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of UV-b radiation on plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels and ionised calcium concentrations in ball pythons (Python regius). Blood samples were taken from 14 ball pythons, which had never been exposed to UV-b light, to obtain baseline 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels and ionised calcium concentrations. Blood samples were then taken again from the same snakes 70 days later after one group (Group 1, n=6 females) were exposed to UV-b radiation daily, and the other group (Group 2, n=5 males and 3 females) were exposed to no UV-b radiation. Mean±sd 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels on day 0 in Group 1 were 197±35 nmol/l, and on day 70 were 203.5±13.8 nmol/l. Mean±sd 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels in Group 2 on day 0 were 77.7±41.5 nmol/l, and on day 70 were 83.0±41.9 nmol/l. Mean±sd ionised calcium levels at day 0 were 1.84±0.05 mmol/l for Group 1, and on day 70 were 1.78±0.07 mmol/l. Mean±sd ionised calcium levels at day 0 were 1.79±0.07 mmol/l for Group 2, and on day 70 were 1.81±0.05 mmol/l. No association was demonstrated between exposure to UV-b radiation and plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and ionised calcium concentrations. These results may provide baseline parameters for future studies in this and other snake species to determine ability to utilise UV-b light for vitamin D production.

---
    I poked through the full article and it seems like a generally underresearched topic, and I couldn't find any other articles talking about whether or not it helps them. The study made use of only a few animals (14 total for both the control and experimental groups) but it seems like it does no real harm to them in terms of Vitamin D3 and calcium absorptions. For what it's worth, the bulb they used is ReptiSun 5.0 UV-b Fluorescent bulb by ZooMed. Anecdotally, I guess they seem to do well with the light, so your vet perhaps recommends it for that reason.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jylesa For This Useful Post:

paulh (06-26-2016)

Thanks

Re: The UVA/UVB Debate (again...)

Quote Originally Posted by jylesa View Post
    I found one (and only one I guess) study about this, probably the one that O'Mathghamhna found:

The effects of UV light on calcium metabolism in ball pythongs (Python regius)
    Vet Rec. October 2013;173(14):345.

J Hedley1; K Eatwell

Article Abstract

Despite the popularity of keeping snakes in captivity, there has been limited investigation into the effects of UV radiation on vitamin D levels in snakes. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of UV-b radiation on plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels and ionised calcium concentrations in ball pythons (Python regius). Blood samples were taken from 14 ball pythons, which had never been exposed to UV-b light, to obtain baseline 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels and ionised calcium concentrations. Blood samples were then taken again from the same snakes 70 days later after one group (Group 1, n=6 females) were exposed to UV-b radiation daily, and the other group (Group 2, n=5 males and 3 females) were exposed to no UV-b radiation. Mean±sd 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels on day 0 in Group 1 were 197±35 nmol/l, and on day 70 were 203.5±13.8 nmol/l. Mean±sd 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels in Group 2 on day 0 were 77.7±41.5 nmol/l, and on day 70 were 83.0±41.9 nmol/l. Mean±sd ionised calcium levels at day 0 were 1.84±0.05 mmol/l for Group 1, and on day 70 were 1.78±0.07 mmol/l. Mean±sd ionised calcium levels at day 0 were 1.79±0.07 mmol/l for Group 2, and on day 70 were 1.81±0.05 mmol/l. No association was demonstrated between exposure to UV-b radiation and plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and ionised calcium concentrations. These results may provide baseline parameters for future studies in this and other snake species to determine ability to utilise UV-b light for vitamin D production.

---
    I poked through the full article and it seems like a generally underresearched topic, and I couldn't find any other articles talking about whether or not it helps them. The study made use of only a few animals (14 total for both the control and experimental groups) but it seems like it does no real harm to them in terms of Vitamin D3 and calcium absorptions. For what it's worth, the bulb they used is ReptiSun 5.0 UV-b Fluorescent bulb by ZooMed. Anecdotally, I guess they seem to do well with the light, so your vet perhaps recommends it for that reason.
    Thank you!! This is the article. I just wanted to understand it a little better than just the bolded part... I may try using the bulb I have on my rescue going through lots of med treatments. I'll put it on a timer and see if that maybe helps at all, although I'm not sure how I could even measure that. ?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm late to this discussion. Better late than never, though.

One possibility is that the UV bulb used in the study did not produce sufficient light of the proper wave lengths to affect the snakes blood vitamin levels. A stronger light or longer exposure might. Have to check that paper and see how strong the artificial light is compared to sunlight.

It would be nice to get the blood levels from snakes in the wild. Who knows how the levels differ between wild snakes and captives.

A natural way to supplement the snakes' vitamin D intake would be to expose live or freshly killed rodents to raw sunlight before feeding them to the snakes. We know that rodents use sunlight to produce D3.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (07-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    Good points... I did read a study done on the calcium absorption and rates in one group of BPs versus another group with differing exposures to UVB, but it was so science-y I couldn't make sense of it. I wonder if maybe it improves mood the way the sun tends to with many mammals, but again, how do you measure that? *sigh*
    Never mind, I see the article.
    Last edited by viper69; 06-26-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    I'm late to this discussion. Better late than never, though.

One possibility is that the UV bulb used in the study did not produce sufficient light of the proper wave lengths to affect the snakes blood vitamin levels. A stronger light or longer exposure might. Have to check that paper and see how strong the artificial light is compared to sunlight.

It would be nice to get the blood levels from snakes in the wild. Who knows how the levels differ between wild snakes and captives.

A natural way to supplement the snakes' vitamin D intake would be to expose live or freshly killed rodents to raw sunlight before feeding them to the snakes. We know that rodents use sunlight to produce D3.
    I am admittedly ignorant on the subject, but I wonder how an "appropriate" or "proper" level? Does that make sense? What happens when the levels are too low? Too high? Are there health ramifications or does it affect mood? So many questions!
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Thanks

While it's probably not going to hurt them, Ball Pythons do not require UVB lighting. The only thing that may hurt is your wallet, depending on how much lighting you provide for your snakes. As mentioned above, these guys are not arboreal (tree dwellers). These guys are found in termite mounds, etc. At no point in my career has any herp vet I've worked with has ever been adamant about UVB and BP. The only lighting provided to my collection is whatever sunlight enters the room through windows covered with Venetian blinds and whatever overhead in the room when lights are on during late night feedings).

Personally, I'd be very skeptical of any vet who's pushing UVB on anything that's not a diurnal species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12