Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,126

0 members and 3,126 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unusual Hides that your BP uses?

Hello all, new forum member here but not new to the BP hobby or lurking this forum.

But I have a question.. Does anyone else wish to share a story on unusual hides for BPs?

several months ago while cleaning Wednesdays (her name) cage I put her on my floor mat where she usually hangs out while I clean, this particular day though I had a roll of paper towels on the mat as well,
    well she went straight to it and crawled inside and balled up with her head peeking out. Super cute.

now oddly, she kept doing this each time I cleaned and so I wondered...hmmm. so I took an empty paper towel roll and put it in her cage and she uses this now all the time, doesn't like her fancy two hides, or anything else, just loves her some paper towel rolls.

Now serious question, there isn't anything wrong with this is there? I change the roll bi-weekly (as I don't want it to rot) but is there anything else I should consider when using a paper towel roll?

I just hate to remove her favorite hide but if there is any cause for concern I would do it immediately.

now ....
    anyone else out there have odd hides their BPs' enjoy more than the standard fare?

Thanks
    Mailing label boxes. I haven't been able to find any hide that Miqula likes, until I saw a mailing label box at work and grabbed it... cut an entrance at one end, and she went straight inside. She loves it. About a foot long, and four inches height/width.

Thanks

Re: Unusual Hides that your BP uses?

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    Mailing label boxes.

That's awesome, must be the cardboard!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My snake's favorite h hide is a piece of moss mat rolled into a tube. I dampen it occasionally if the humidity gets low, but most of the time I don't need to. I hypothesize that the reason he likes it so much is that it's always the perfect size because it conforms to however he curls up in it, plus I think he doesn't really care for the texture of the aspen substrate so much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    My snake's favorite h hide is a piece of moss mat rolled into a tube. I dampen it occasionally if the humidity gets low, but most of the time I don't need to. I hypothesize that the reason he likes it so much is that it's always the perfect size because it conforms to however he curls up in it, plus I think he doesn't really care for the texture of the aspen substrate so much.
    I had aspen shred in my BP tubs - I use it for my kingsnake, Tsoss, who loves to burrow in it - and they HATED it. They'd slither on top of their hides and water dishes to avoid coming in contact with it. I switched the BPs to unprinted newsprint, and everyone is much happier.

Actually, I just remembered - Tsoss is on Sanichip right now. I don't like it, but he does like to burrow in that, even more. I don't think I'd want to try the BP's on it.

Thanks
    Haha I've never been able to get my BP to use paper towel rolls as hides despite it being a common suggestion. I wish I could be that cheap.

My guy had been using a sandcastle mold I picked up at the dollar store since he was a hatchling but is getting too big for it http://i.imgur.com/FDPZRTM.jpg

And I have yet to find a replacement that he's happy with. Right now I found he liked to crawl inside one of the boxes I use to store my silicone craft molds , stuff inside and all... so smug ang cozy lol http://i.imgur.com/f5ffkEd.jpg

Stuff I've tried so far are various small boxes with a hole cut into it but he just wants this. Hopefully I can find a replacement before his next poop/shed :I

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    None. I never offer hides. The racks do enough to comfort them. I have a few that choose to burrow so I offer an extra thick layer of aspen

Thanks

Its not that unusual, but I use an upside down Terra-cotta pot with a big hole drilled in the bottom of the pot and set it upside down for one of his hides. I put sphagnum moss in it and when he goes into shed I dampen the moss. It hold heat and moisture really well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

chilliscale (04-29-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I used to use those. They are awesome and they hold heat nicely

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    my Mojave boy used to hide in a skull when he was a baby:

also i saw another forumer use a motorcycle helmet for a BP hide.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast