Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

2 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Mice for Ball Pythons?

Hey everyone, I've been breeding my own rats for about 18 months now and I'm really happy with the results. However, I have a few ball pythons who are kinda picky and I have a feeling would prefer mice. I was thinking of starting to breed a small colony of mice for those who prefer them. However, I'm concerned with two things

1) Would I be able to switch back and forth between mice and rats, only offering mice when the snake refused a rat? I feel like this would lead to a straight mouse, which I would like to avoid.

2) How long does it take for a mouse to become an adult and how many adult mice would, let's say, a 1000g ball python need at each weekly feeding?

Also, I should mention that I would be keeping the mice outside on my patio. I live in south FL so it can get warm. The rats do fine, would mice be okay too?

Thanks everyone for your advice
    Last edited by EvergladesExotics; 04-29-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    Specializing in superior quality Ball Pythons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I dont feed mice to anything I don't have to. I currently am down to 1 mouser and i prefer to just buy a couple mice a week. I don't even know if it's.true that your rat Feeders will get hooked on mice but I don't want to take a chance.

As far.as growing, by about 8-10 weeks they should be 30-40 grams but they will.keep growing slowly for longer than that. I had one large mouser female and she would clean up 4-5 mice a week easily, specially after laying eggs
    Last edited by chilliscale; 04-29-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Don't use mice until you have no other option!

i had supply issues, bought a mouse, and my pastel and I are now in an all out war over feeding. And I'm losing. wont touch any type of rat, any age, live, pk, ft, nothing. I'm well into the second month of waiting her out now.

Unless you are willing to feed mice forever, don't start!!!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kokorobosoi For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-29-2016),chilliscale (04-29-2016),JodanOrNoDan (04-29-2016)

Thanks
    Yep, some bps get fixated on mice. Definitely want to try to switch them to rats. That being said, it isn't the end of the world if your snake won't go to rats. It will just take feeding multiple adult mice. I'm sure there are bps that can take down 3+ adult mice in a feeding.

Thanks
    My wallet cries just thinking about three mice per meal. I despise mice. Last time we had mice in the house hubby lost one. I still haven't found it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kokorobosoi For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-29-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ok, you guys are making me rethink this... But seriously, I have some female balls that are at the 800-1000g range that are looking too thin because they're starting to be so finicky with their rats. I just want them to eat!!!
    Specializing in superior quality Ball Pythons

Thanks
    I figure getting them to eat is more important than the inconvenience of feeding mice. Two of mine are currently eating mice - my little guy, Lue, and my biggest female, Miqula. She went almost two months without eating at all, after taking rats with no problem. Offered her a mouse, and she had it almost before it was in her tub. If that's what she wants, then that's what she'll get.

Thanks
    If you have the mice, enough of them, and don't mind taking the time to give your snake a few mice each feeding (one after the other, never all at the same time), then go for it. Some swear that the nutritional value of rats is higher, but others have valid debates for that claim. More so, what I believe it comes down to, is simple convenience. One may have to feed two, three, or maybe 4 mice during a feeding as opposed to one rat. I feed rats, and it's easier for me. I don't breed any type of prey animals. If you're into breeding mice/rats, maybe it's not a big deal.

Honestly, whatever works for you. I think as long as your snake gets the volume of food it needs, it would be fine.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks
    There really is no disadvantage to feeding mice, just might cost more and be slightly more inconveniencing. Nutritional value to rats is just about the same. For younger snakes it makes sense to try to switch, but if an adult simply won't take rats, you might just want to stick with mice. BPs are so finicky you might as well just stick with what you're doing.

You can always randomly see if they will take a rat as they get older. Sometimes they change their mind.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Feed what they will eat.
    This guy still is a mouser with his new owner.
    Was over 1500g when I sold him and would/could do 8 to 10 mice if I let him.

My problem is getting my mice to produce for me.