Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,254

1 members and 3,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Arizona Field Herping?

Paging the locals! My husband has mentioned a couple of times that he would like to do some local wild herping, he is curious about the local fauna and thinks it would be fun and educational. I am on the fence. I enjoy our tame snakes, but I'm not sure how I feel about actively going out and stirring up rocks and bushes looking for... what? Rattlesnakes? I'm not even sure what kind of animals live here besides "snakes" and "lizards" - I guess I have something to learn too.

He's got more time on his hands than me, since he's fortunate enough to work from home right now, so he does a lot of research on whatever topics pique his interest... and this is one of them. As for me... I like personal input from other humans, over web articles. So I'm here for opinions. How safe is field herping in Arizona? What are the chances of running into non-scare herp vs things like rattlesnakes and other scary things? Assuming we take all reasonable precautions, is this more of an adventure or an unnecessary risk?

Thanks for your input!

ETA: to clarify, we would leave anything we found where we found it!! He wants to go play looky-loo, not bring anything home.
    Last edited by Aercadia; 04-26-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Addendum

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I say go for it. I try to field herp anywhere I go. Even on a family vacation I get at least a few hours in. As long as you respect the snakes and the habitat you are fine. I have field herped perhaps 100 or more venomous and haven't had a single problem. If you give them space when they are located, you will be fine. Don't put your hands in places where you can't see what's underneath. Always use a hook when possible to flip rocks. I haven't hit Arizona yrlet bit have done herpes Texas and Oklahoma which is similar ad far as terrain and species go. Arizona is on my list this summer
    Last edited by chilliscale; 04-26-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks

Re: Arizona Field Herping?

Quote Originally Posted by chilliscale View Post
    Arizona is on my list this summer
    Haha, hope you are prepared for the 110+ F heat!! Bring lots of water... and then a little more, just in case!

Thanks for the input!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I prefer road cruising hehe I can sit in the AC and hop out when I find something or to flip a few rocks then go right back to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus most of the fun stuff comes out at night when it's that hot

Thanks
    ^^^ That sounds like the way to do it, LOL! I'm going to have to suggest evening/night herp-dates to hubby... I fry in our summer weather.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    d I'm pretty sure in az you must have a hunting license to "peruse" any snakes, not sure if photography is considered persuit in az

Thanks
    I wasn't aware! I'll have hubby look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yep. Just check laws. I got stopped on the Ozarks last year and hastled a little for not having a license of some kind. When they seen I had a hook for flipping rocks a camera and no containers for collecting, they let me off with a warning but be sure to check laws

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chilliscale For This Useful Post:

Aercadia (04-26-2016)