Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

1 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

STOP THE MADNESS! When will my beardie be my friend

I know this is not an uncommon story, but I have not seen any real direct answer to my question, if there is one. If not maybe I just need some encouragement.
    After my Fire Skink of many years passed away, I decided to get a beardie since everyone liked them. I went to a store that specializes in breeder inventory. I bought my beardie and brought him home. I loved that thing! It would sleep on me, it was very acceptable of my kids, and I could watch tv with it. This lasted 6 maybe 8 weeks then he got terrible! Started bearding and hissing when I would open the cage. he then became crazy in his cage and will not tolerate being held. I instantly came to the forums. I was happy to hear that this is actually normal and it just takes patience and work to break them of there sudden bad behavior. I started to put on a glove becouse he would start to nip. I have done every thing that I have read to do. Give him treats when he lunges at me, I always hold him until he calms down (inside the cage of course, I can no longer take him out) and I make sure his home is right. Have a warm side / cool side, he's fed always has fresh food and protein throughout the day, and I mist in the mornings. I dust and do supplements, and offer him treats. Still not only does the tude seen to get better, it is actually getting worse. Now when he bites he is very aggressive, he holds down the bite. It has been at least a month. I do not jerk or move I still make him calm down before I let him go. I do this daily every day.... and alas no improvements. Can someone share your experience, most of all I just want to know how long it will take before my beardie can be my friend.....

Thanks

Re: STOP THE MADNESS! When will my beardie be my friend

I have had beardied do this.. They seem to grow out of it w consistant patience and handling. At least mine did. How old is your dragon?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

That's a good question to ask. I believe that I was told he was between eight and ten weeks, definitely over eight weeks is what they said. So that makes him 8 weeks plus 3 months? LOL, my wife was always the one to answer the how old are your children question

Thanks

Hes still very young, keep working w him patiently. Thats about the age a few of mine displayed the same behaviors. It will get better.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I make sure his home is right. Have a warm side / cool side, he's fed always has fresh food and protein throughout the day, and I mist in the mornings. I dust and do supplements, and offer him treats.
    Just how fat is this thing?? Does he look more like a Chuckwalla then a bearded dragon? Maybe he's grumpy because he feels so uncomfortable being so full all the time..

In my admittedly limited experience, my beardie seems more willing to play nice when he thinks I might feed him... He's a bit more grumpy when he's already full and just want's to be left alone.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus